“Great Location But That's It” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Long Island City
Toronto
“Great Location But That's It”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights in the middle of November. We chose the hotel because of location and price. The hotel has a great location and is only 15 minutes from Times Square if you take the metro/subway. The area was safe and had some great cheap and local food options (I suggest the BBQ chicken place right beside the subway/metro entrance). That's where the good things stop. When we got to the hotel the employees behind the desk were oblivious to our arrival. We weren't greeted and they were speaking in a different language. The male front desk clerk seemed to be bothered that we wanted to check in. After we checked in we got to the room which was disgusting. I've stayed in pretty horrible hostels in Europe but this "hotel" takes the cake. There were stains everywhere, the bathroom was falling apart, the sheets were stained and disgusting, and the room smelled like cigarettes. Yes we could have switched hotels but we never spend much time in the room besides sleeping. During the week the TV wasn't working 2/4 days, the elevator broke numerous times trapping the maids and other tourists, and loud construction or painting was going on every day. The maids would also speak in different languages, laugh at you, and hold up the elevators most of the day. Breakfast was also a circus so we decided to skip and ate at a lovely small cafe just down the street. When we checked out I again felt like I was personally offending the front desk guy. I wouldn't recommend staying here if you enjoy spending time in your room. The location was great but the hotel, especially the staff, were almost unbearable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
CarlsonRezidor, Carlson at Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service. We also would like to apologize for the condition of your guestroom as this is not something we would like our guest have to deal with. Please be assured we will take all your comments into consideration to make each stay better according to the Country Inns & Suites standards. To discuss your concern further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

This is not the experience I am used to having with Country Inn & Suites. This hotel is dirty, carpet is moldy, the staff is rude, the food in the breakfast are was either stale, or so watery (eggs, oatmeal) it was uneatable. Don't stay there.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your feedback regarding the Breakfast and the service you received from our staff. We regret to hear your dining experience did not meet your expectations, nor did the service you received. We have passed on your comments and concerns to hotel management so they may address this situation with each team to ensure that outstanding service and presentation is delivered.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Was visiting New York for a couple of days and knowing the city the stay/hotels are pretty expensive. Found Country Inn & Suites/Carlson group in Queens which is a 10-15 mins tube ride from Manhattan. Was quite a surprise for the price (breakfast included) and the hotel was a mins walk from the tube station :)
The room was spacious and showed the skyline/Manhattan view (top floor room requested). It did snow a bit when we were there which made the view even more beautiful.
Breakfast had a few varieties. Housekeeping was great

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Galway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights recently during our first trip to NYC. Overall, we had no significant complaints at all about the hotel - check-in was quick and efficient and the room size was adequate for 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids, 2 queen size beds). Our room on the 8th floor didn't have a view but was quiet (if stuffy) at night. The TV worked OK, the bathroom was clean. Only minor quibble was the limited size of the breakfast room, we were lucky and got seated every morning but it was pot luck. The food itself was quite palatable, the kids enjoyed making their own waffles. Tip: you can come downstairs outside of breakfast time and grab yourself a coffee or hot chocolate. But the main advantage about staying here was the location - we were within 5-8 minutes walk to 3 different subway stations serving 3 separate lines into Manhattan. Only a 10-15 minute train ride into Times Square and mid-town. Plus it was convenient for getting here initially (by taxi) and returning to JFK airport. I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I had to go to NYC for a couple of days. I wanted to stay near Times Square, but everything was so expensive. Since I'm a member at the Carlson Club, I got this hotel for a good price. I have stayed at other hotels from this chain, including one in the middle of nowhere in Mozambique. And that was better, much better than this. BUT, overall, I recommend for people who are looking for a reasonable price, and a more comfortable stay than a hostel/Airbnb option. But I'd recommend for short-stay only.

Negative:
*The room was nice, but the smell bothered me a little, and triggered my allergies. The temperature in the morning was quite cold - not sure if there was a problem with the heater in the room. Plus, the room was a bit too dark for me in the evening.
*There were there are no drinks in the mini-fridge. I wanted to get water, and there was not even available at the only vending machine working (the other three weren't working).
*There is no restaurant in the hotel, and the staff failed to inform me there are good options nearby (I walked for about 20 minutes, and I found a corner with nice places, like Starbucks, Panera Bread, Uno's), which I found it thanks to google!
*Hotel staff is so RUDE! Not helpful, not friendly, and give wrong information (including info on the subway station I needed to get out in Times Sq)
*Ugly neighborhood. I didn't feel unsafe, even during my walk to the restaurant, but it is not a pleasant area at all

Positive:
*No problem with the wi-fi
*There is breakfast, although it could be MUCH better. To avoid the crowd, you can go early in the morning
*Comfortable bed, nice TV with reasonable TV channels, and nice bathroom
*Walking distance to the subway, and a 20-minute ride to Times Square

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Milwaukee WI USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We would be considered well-traveled--both in the US and abroad. We have stayed in all classes of hotels, apartments, and/or B & Bs and I very seldom write reviews but I always read reviews at tripadvisor about hotels, restaurants, and things to do. The negative comments I read in reviews about this hotel need to be addressed.

First and foremost is the great LOCATION. There are three subway stops(7 different lines) within a 10 minute walk from the hotel. A short 10-15 minute ride and you are at Times Square or Grand Central. Be ready for climbing many steps and crowded trains. True the neighborhood is not Park Avenue but we felt safe returning late to the hotel after Broadway plays. Ate all of our meals in Manhattan. Selections around the hotel are few and unappealing. As mentioned in other reviews, there is a gas station/convenience store next to the hotel, at which you can purchase snacks, drinks, etc.

Talk about great VALUE. We booked this room 6 months in advance and got a senior rate of $117/night. For that we had a huge room with a king-size bed. The room was clean, bathroom was more than adequate, and the room was well appointed. Heating/Air conditioning system worked fine. House keeping staff did a great job keeping the room clean and tidy during our five night stay. Room was extremely quiet. We felt like noone else was in the hotel. True we had no view--but for the price I did not expect a view.

Another feature that makes it a great value is the included breakfast. To me, fresh fruit (banannas), yogurt, coffee, tea, juices, cereals, bagel and cream cheese, pastries, donuts, waffles, kaiser rolls, etc are perfectly acceptable. I never tried the two hot dishes--usually potatoes and an egg dish--they were unappealing. Judging by the amount of food consumed in the breakfast room and also the amount of food leaving the room in plates wrapped with napkins, I would say the breakfast is very popular. The breakfast room gets crowded between 8-9 AM but waits seemed to be minimal. Remember the breakfast is INCLUDED.

All of our interactions with the staff were positive. The lobby staff acted in a professional manner, were courteous and provided assistance when asked, during the check-in and check-out process. Priniting out boarding passes prior to departure went smoothly. I do not know what they should have done differently.

Would I stay in this hotel again? Definitely. Would I recommend it to my friends and relatives? Definitely--and that is the highest compliment I can make.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 01 room. At the end of the hallway--very quiet. Did not face the street. No view on...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We booked two rooms at a great value of $140/night Oct. 22-25, 2013. Super close access to La Guardia and one stop by metro into Manhattan and for the price you can't be the location.
From hotel it's a block away to the metro and then one stop into Manhattan (3 minute train ride) with very accessible trains everywhere.
Arrived to a fully booked hotel around 9am to unhappy employees and room not ready (which we were ready for), but no luggage room and was told luggage could be kept in lobby with no security or tag system. We didn't like the idea, but they were there on our return. At checkin we were embarrassed for the rude behaviour the customer in front of us received and it took too long with only one person on the desk.
Rooms clean but with a strong disinfectant odour and a great city view.
Breakfast was good with enough options but another server was needed.
Overall the hotel did its job but don't expect friendly service. Our only complaint was the front desk staff was unfriendly and not welcoming.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for a top floor room (7th or 8th) facing the city and away from elevator.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens? Share your experiences!