“Good stay, decent location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #16 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
London, United Kingdom
“Good stay, decent location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Was visiting New York for a couple of days and knowing the city the stay/hotels are pretty expensive. Found Country Inn & Suites/Carlson group in Queens which is a 10-15 mins tube ride from Manhattan. Was quite a surprise for the price (breakfast included) and the hotel was a mins walk from the tube station :)
The room was spacious and showed the skyline/Manhattan view (top floor room requested). It did snow a bit when we were there which made the view even more beautiful.
Breakfast had a few varieties. Housekeeping was great

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

812 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Galway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights recently during our first trip to NYC. Overall, we had no significant complaints at all about the hotel - check-in was quick and efficient and the room size was adequate for 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids, 2 queen size beds). Our room on the 8th floor didn't have a view but was quiet (if stuffy) at night. The TV worked OK, the bathroom was clean. Only minor quibble was the limited size of the breakfast room, we were lucky and got seated every morning but it was pot luck. The food itself was quite palatable, the kids enjoyed making their own waffles. Tip: you can come downstairs outside of breakfast time and grab yourself a coffee or hot chocolate. But the main advantage about staying here was the location - we were within 5-8 minutes walk to 3 different subway stations serving 3 separate lines into Manhattan. Only a 10-15 minute train ride into Times Square and mid-town. Plus it was convenient for getting here initially (by taxi) and returning to JFK airport. I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I had to go to NYC for a couple of days. I wanted to stay near Times Square, but everything was so expensive. Since I'm a member at the Carlson Club, I got this hotel for a good price. I have stayed at other hotels from this chain, including one in the middle of nowhere in Mozambique. And that was better, much better than this. BUT, overall, I recommend for people who are looking for a reasonable price, and a more comfortable stay than a hostel/Airbnb option. But I'd recommend for short-stay only.

Negative:
*The room was nice, but the smell bothered me a little, and triggered my allergies. The temperature in the morning was quite cold - not sure if there was a problem with the heater in the room. Plus, the room was a bit too dark for me in the evening.
*There were there are no drinks in the mini-fridge. I wanted to get water, and there was not even available at the only vending machine working (the other three weren't working).
*There is no restaurant in the hotel, and the staff failed to inform me there are good options nearby (I walked for about 20 minutes, and I found a corner with nice places, like Starbucks, Panera Bread, Uno's), which I found it thanks to google!
*Hotel staff is so RUDE! Not helpful, not friendly, and give wrong information (including info on the subway station I needed to get out in Times Sq)
*Ugly neighborhood. I didn't feel unsafe, even during my walk to the restaurant, but it is not a pleasant area at all

Positive:
*No problem with the wi-fi
*There is breakfast, although it could be MUCH better. To avoid the crowd, you can go early in the morning
*Comfortable bed, nice TV with reasonable TV channels, and nice bathroom
*Walking distance to the subway, and a 20-minute ride to Times Square

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Milwaukee WI USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We would be considered well-traveled--both in the US and abroad. We have stayed in all classes of hotels, apartments, and/or B & Bs and I very seldom write reviews but I always read reviews at tripadvisor about hotels, restaurants, and things to do. The negative comments I read in reviews about this hotel need to be addressed.

First and foremost is the great LOCATION. There are three subway stops(7 different lines) within a 10 minute walk from the hotel. A short 10-15 minute ride and you are at Times Square or Grand Central. Be ready for climbing many steps and crowded trains. True the neighborhood is not Park Avenue but we felt safe returning late to the hotel after Broadway plays. Ate all of our meals in Manhattan. Selections around the hotel are few and unappealing. As mentioned in other reviews, there is a gas station/convenience store next to the hotel, at which you can purchase snacks, drinks, etc.

Talk about great VALUE. We booked this room 6 months in advance and got a senior rate of $117/night. For that we had a huge room with a king-size bed. The room was clean, bathroom was more than adequate, and the room was well appointed. Heating/Air conditioning system worked fine. House keeping staff did a great job keeping the room clean and tidy during our five night stay. Room was extremely quiet. We felt like noone else was in the hotel. True we had no view--but for the price I did not expect a view.

Another feature that makes it a great value is the included breakfast. To me, fresh fruit (banannas), yogurt, coffee, tea, juices, cereals, bagel and cream cheese, pastries, donuts, waffles, kaiser rolls, etc are perfectly acceptable. I never tried the two hot dishes--usually potatoes and an egg dish--they were unappealing. Judging by the amount of food consumed in the breakfast room and also the amount of food leaving the room in plates wrapped with napkins, I would say the breakfast is very popular. The breakfast room gets crowded between 8-9 AM but waits seemed to be minimal. Remember the breakfast is INCLUDED.

All of our interactions with the staff were positive. The lobby staff acted in a professional manner, were courteous and provided assistance when asked, during the check-in and check-out process. Priniting out boarding passes prior to departure went smoothly. I do not know what they should have done differently.

Would I stay in this hotel again? Definitely. Would I recommend it to my friends and relatives? Definitely--and that is the highest compliment I can make.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 01 room. At the end of the hallway--very quiet. Did not face the street. No view on...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We booked two rooms at a great value of $140/night Oct. 22-25, 2013. Super close access to La Guardia and one stop by metro into Manhattan and for the price you can't be the location.
From hotel it's a block away to the metro and then one stop into Manhattan (3 minute train ride) with very accessible trains everywhere.
Arrived to a fully booked hotel around 9am to unhappy employees and room not ready (which we were ready for), but no luggage room and was told luggage could be kept in lobby with no security or tag system. We didn't like the idea, but they were there on our return. At checkin we were embarrassed for the rude behaviour the customer in front of us received and it took too long with only one person on the desk.
Rooms clean but with a strong disinfectant odour and a great city view.
Breakfast was good with enough options but another server was needed.
Overall the hotel did its job but don't expect friendly service. Our only complaint was the front desk staff was unfriendly and not welcoming.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for a top floor room (7th or 8th) facing the city and away from elevator.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed here for the last week of September, checking in on a Monday around 5pm. We’re Club Carlson members, and the only room they could give us was a room in the basement where all the housekeeping was. We were not really impressed but they told us we could move in the morning, and they’d move our bags and everything for us, which they did. Our next room was on the 2nd floor, no view or anything, and actually smaller than our basement room!

Regardless the room was fine, no problems with it. There are 3 different subway stations about 5-10mins walk away to get into the city. Though even though staying on Long Island City is a cheaper deal than staying in Manhattan, I probably would not do it again, as if you wanted to come back to the room in the afternoon/prior to dinner, it was very time consuming.

The hotel offers free wifi which worked fine, and also free breakfast, which was not up to Country Inn & Suites standards. I have stayed at various other Country Inns and the breakfast each day has always been varied in the hot food they offer, i.e. one day it would be bacon, the next sausage patties etc..., but here is was the same options every day, and was not very enjoyable.

The hotel was good, the price was great for NYC, I would stay again if I could not get a deal in the city.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently went on a vacation in New York and decided to stay at this location as it was much more cost effective than anything in Manhattan. My boyfriend works for Carlson hotels locally and we were shocked at how many issues we encountered.

First of all, most of the hotel rooms have King sized beds. Which would be fantastic, if this hotel had King sized sheets. The bottom sheet stopped at least 12 inches from the foot of the bed, and the top sheet barely made it over the edges. We were forever twisted and without sheets at all during the night as there was not enough to cover the area of the mattress. The duvet had a hole with no closure at its bottom and didn't have a closure, so the insert would slide completely out every night. Over and over we asked to have our bed re-made and specifically asked if they had King size bedding. Over and over we were told they did and they would have our bed redone. We eventually took this matter to a manager who basically told us "well, that's the way it is" and refused to offer any type of apology, solution, or compensation. I was appalled.

The bedding was the biggest issue other than the lack of customer care, but the hotel in general is dirty. Blood stains and hair on sheets and towels, leftover soap on the walls of the shower, the elevators (there are only 2 in the entire building, both of which are constantly held by housekeeping staff.) And it snowballs from there.

We lost sleep and thus lost time in the city and enjoying our vacation. Next time I'll know to spend a larger amount at a hotel in Manhattan where I know hotels keep the standard. This hotel was definitely not up to par.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CarlsonRezidor, online customer support at Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service. We also apologize for the situation with the sheets in the room.

Been to Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens? Share your experiences!