“Good location but no more” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #16 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Dublin, Ireland
“Good location but no more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed here as we were on a budget. Within easy reach of Manhattan by pubic transport (you can even walk across the queensboro bridge!)

Check-in was quick and painless. The room was adequate (ask for a city view when booking, this was the best aspect of our stay). Bed was comfy. TV remote had no battery. Microwave and fridge in room. The air conditioning created a powerful smell of stale urine in the room which was highly unpleasant but luckily this faded pretty quickly when we opened the window.

The biggest let down was the breakfast - an utter disgrace. Plastic plates and cutlery, low quality egg patties, weird little mystery meat sausage nuggets, tasteless waffles you have to grill yourself, very bad coffee in plastic cups, bad donuts. Bagels were ok. Food frequently ran out leaving guests hovering around wondering what to do. Awkward queuing trying to get food. Angry looking worker slowly replenishing supplies. For the equivalent of 108euro per night, this was just not good enough. We live in Ireland and if this breakfast was served in an Irish hotel, there would be uproar.

Hotel is serviceable but nothing more. It does the job fine for a short visit to NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for a Manhattan view!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

856 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I spent five nights here during the US Open. We were surprise and pleased to see so much new construction in the Long Island City area. The hotel is fairly new and about what I would expect of a Country Inn and Suites in a large city. The room was an adequate size, clean and nicely appointed. The Queensboro subway station is a block away, the Queens Plaza station about two. From these you can pretty much go anywhere the subway goes, making it to Manhattan in about 6 minutes. Other reviewers have complained about the breakfast room. It is small for the size of the hotel and the breakfast items were fairly basic. We went out out for breakfast three mornings, just down the street and had a very pleasant breakfast near Queensboro.

Room Tip: Others have said they loved the views of Manhattan. We were on the opposite side, but didn't st...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Mill, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Long Island City is very well located for visiting Manhattan, Queens and many New York Landmarks. The Country Inn and Suites is a newer very affordable Hotel with a nice breakfast included. Access to the subways is within a 10 minute walk. Rooms are clean, quiet, and efficient. Amenities include shampoo, soaps, lotion and hair dryer and full size ironing board and iron. I felt safe as a single female in the Hotel.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor and a corner room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Our overall experience of the hotel was about(overall rating 6/7). Room was cleaned(7), breakfast, limited selections but ok if you are not fussy, no coffee cream throughout our 6 nights stayed(4). closed to subway line, 5mins walk, area feel safe even late night, subway & m60 bus to LGA approx. 30mins (9). We have asked for a safety deposit box when we arrived but was told was full, we put our name on the waitlist and I checked with FD for 4 days without success then gave up. Our request on high fl away from elevator was fulfiilled.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed here for two nights. What a mistake. Rude employees and poor housekeeping. What else could you ask for?

Free breakfast? I can see why it's free.

I've read that this hotel is fairly new, but it sure doesn't look like it. Dirty furniture, chairs, and carpets.

NYC is the capital of rudeness. This hotel justifies it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Carlson Hotels C, online customer support at Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service. We apologize for the rudeness of our staff.
calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

The hotel is actually OK but I will not stay there again. My 1st gripe was that I was lied to by the check in staff. I hold Carlson Club Gold status. In most cases I get upgraded to a larger room or at least a higher floor. When I checked in at this hotel I was given room 210. When I inquired if I was being upgraded I was told that the hotel was fully booked. I accepted his answer. However, later that day I asked another staff if the hotel was fully booked and if larger rooms were available. There were other suites available. Strike 2 was that I was expecting a package to arrive at the hotel. When I asked if that package had arrived they said no. I checked on-line and the package had arrived 2 days prior. So I asked again if I received a package and after searching he found my package. The staff here is poorly managed with a don't care attitude. Also note that if you leave your luggage for a late check out they leave it in an unsecure area of the lobby. So 2 days later I moved to the Fairfield Inn 3 blocks away. There I was granted early check in from moving to the Country Inn in the AM, was given late check out to catch my afternoon flight and was given an upgraded room without asking. I only hold silver status with Marriott yet was given these privlidges. The breakfast was better at the Fairfield Inn as they serve real bacon and eggs as well as better coffee. The lobby and rooms are bright and welcoming. The staff at the Fairfield is more professional starting with them wearing uniforms. To be fair the Fairfield Inn is located close to the subway line and there is a new building being constructed across the street so you will have to turn on the a/c for some white noise.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services
York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed here 6th Aug for 3 nights. Easy to get to on subway from airport and into the city. Read some very mixed reviews so was a little worried as to what we would get but I have to say that all our experiences were positive. Yes bits of wall were scuffed slightly but which hotel doesn't have the odd scuff fro a suitcase, the front desk weren't that friendly but they did their job of getting us checked in quickly. The breakfast didn't have that much choice, but its free so take it or leave it. We never went for breakfast after 8 am so never had trouble finding an empty table to eat at. And the view is the best I've had from a New York bedroom window and this is stay number 9. So my overall view is we will be back, at these prices I would be foolish to stay anywhere else.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens? Share your experiences!