“Bad service, average rooms” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Melbourne, Australia
“Bad service, average rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed there with my family. Having read the reviews we brought an inflatable mattress because the hotel didn't provide rollout bed. They provided 3 towels and 1 soap/shampoo/conditioner etc (for 5 people)
I have to admit, that after reading the reviews we were very careful with our belongings so nothing went lost, but the fear was there until the day we left.
Breakfast was good (continental), we made sure to be down by 7 so no queues then. Staff was pretty bitter but not rude. I just got the feeling everyone in NY behind a counter is the same so nothing personal. Hotel is very close to a couple of train stations so that was very handy. I requested a room far from the lifts and with skyline and got exactly the opposite, so no tipping from me. Carpet had a horrible red stain, not acceptable for a hotel. Microwave & fridge where very helpful to make popcorn and keep the beers cold.
Dunno I'll come back to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

934 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Coralville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This hotel is just a couple blocks from the NQ7 subway line. The room was nice and clean. The hotel was quiet when I was there. The room had a fridge and microwave which was handy when we got home late and wanted something to snack on. The wifi signal was hard to get on the 6th floor, but other than that I was rather impressed. My mom and I felt comfortable walking to and from the subway station alone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The dining room is woefully inadequate, usually untidy and crowded with people. Seating is limited. The rooms are nothing more than average, the carpets stained, the cleaning staff only do what is necessary. There are better places to stay than here. Also, having only one internet in the foyer is a propblem when there are people waiting to use it.
I would go elsewhere next visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Yuma, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

The hallway on our floor STUNK when we arrived. We spoke to the manager and the smell disappeared. The room was acceptable, but nothing extraordinary. As for breakfast, it was ok; however, there was no creamer for the coffee. When asked, the attendant pointed to the milk. The coffee supplies in the room allowed only one cup to be made since there were only condiments given for 1 cup. Also, I hated that they gave actual mugs in the room. This meant we couldn't take our coffee with us as we headed to one of the 3 nearby subway stops. The carpet needs to be replaced throughout the hotel. It is worn, stained & stinks (as indicated by the hallway on our floor). Also, it would be nice if the breakfast varied a little for those staying several days. It seems the management is trying to cut corners and make money without investing in their property at all.

• Stayed July 2013
ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was here for 7 nights .As mentioned by other reviewers you get what you pay for . It is not the Park Plaza so come with an open mind .Compared to the price that you would pay for a Manhattan hotel where you would be charged extra for WiFi and Breakfast I guess that this place is an excellent price steal . The hotel is about 5 years old so it is in relatively good shape.
If you want a city view room you have to pay more for it .The windows are small so I doubt that you will even notice the view it after a few glimpses ...so save your money.
I was in a standard executive room at the elevator which is just a little larger than a standard room as it has a larger entrance way area I was told due to the configuration of the elevator ..so actually no advantage unless you plan to spend time near the doorway . I did not hear the elevators at all .

The air conditioning unit is LOUD and mine had only one setting and that was HIGH the LOW was not functioning . At night time it was always coming on ...it took some time to get used to the new noise .The windows do open but in the summer only the brave would open them during the night due to the summer heat and the outside traffic noise .Avoid New York during the summer .I had not choice but to come here at this time so I had a new NYC season experience .

The hallways ,the breakfast area and the lobby were sometimes uncomfortably warm but you do not spend time in these areas .
Take your breakfast to your room if it becomes too crowded or hot .You can return for more before 10am as there are no guard dogs .

There is free coffee and tea available from the machine in the breakfast room through out the day and evening .

I had breakfast early every morning before the crowds arrived which made the temperature skyrocket in such a small area .Plus you get a better selection of food if you arrive early .There was LOTS to eat ..something for everyone ...remember it is included in the room price so do not complain .You would probably pay 20 bucks in Manhattan for what they offer .

WiFi worked well and you do not need a password . It was down for only one evening during my stay and that was probably due to the terrible thunderstorm that we experienced .

The front desk is mainly Middle Eastern managed so some people may have a problem understanding their dialect .Approach them with a smile and they will smile back .

My main complaint with the hotel was with the timing of the room cleaning service .Checked out rooms are always cleaned first then the remaining guest rooms are done next .My room would not be scheduled to be cleaned on my floor until 3:30/4pm .
Being a senior I would start out exploring HOT NYC early and return early for a much needed rest .The summer NYC heat and humidity is incredible and is immensely draining on the body so I usually return to my room for a pm nap to recharge for the evening before the subway rush hour begins . Unfortunately ,my room would not be made up when I would return .
I had my room cleaned 2x by choice during my 7 night stay as I could not be bothered with this arrival of the cleaning staff at the same time as my nap return ..it was an inconvenience to pick up the valuables and head to the lobby THERE IS NO ROOM SAFE IN ANY ROOM and thsi is a MAJOR inconvenience .I guess that they are very limited on cleaning staff in order to save on operating cost .
When the room was cleaned it was expertly done .No problem there ,

There is a convenient Mobile Gas Station next to the Hotel that stocks EVERYTHING that you could imagine including groceries and fast food .There is a Dunkin Donuts at the subway entrance if you want a carbo and joe fix .There are other eating places but I bypassed them as the room has a great fridge and microwave so I made my own snacks.

The Number 7 Purple subway line to/from Grand Central /Times Square is just an easy few minutes walk from the hotel .Buy a refillable Metro Card for ease and value extra added bonus value .There is an attendant in the booth at the Queensboro Plaza Station who will help you out be sure ask for an excellent free subway map .

Overall, I enjoyed my 7 night stay here .The room was quiet except for the air conditioner ,
the staff and I got along ,the breakfast was good ,the room was clean ,the TV worked great after I put new batteries in the remote ,the shower had good water pressure and hot water was abundant.The bathroom was of a good size with a granite top and the towels were soft ..even the face cloth ...The FREE Wi Fi was excellent .
There was an ironing board and iron in the closet.

Would I return?..yes of course without hesitation !

Room Tip: Manhattan view upper floor rooms cost more but are quieter .
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Venezia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Positive: Location close to several Metro lines. Breakfast better. Wi-Fi is good and fast.
Negative: Total lack of cleaning. No cleaning the bathroom sink in 10 days. Bathroom small and without support for personal items. The sheets changed only a few times and also the new often smeared. Breakfast tables dirty and never cleaned by staff, lack of food supply before the end of time. Elevator noisy that needs revision to the motors that vibrate the entire property every time it moves and feels up in the rooms

Room Tip: prenotate una De Luxe, almeno avete il supporto per appoggiare qualcosa in bagno, altrimenti vi tova...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlson Hotels C, Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. We apologize for your bathroom not being cleaned regularly during your stay as the issue will be addressed with our cleaning crew. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations as we will address all of your concerns.

If you would like to discuss your stay further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.

Best Regards,
Yorkshire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Location: The hotel is In Long Island City in an area that seems quite run down but on the up with lots of new building and renovation in the area. Although I did not feel unsafe, my wife did fel quite anxious at night. However, the hotel is located close (under 10 minutes walk) to three subway stations which mean you travel to most areas quickly and can be in Manhattan in 10 minutes. Apart from some diners/delis at the cheaper end of the market, there are no restraunts in the immediate area but the subway can take you to anything of you choice.

Hotel/Rooms: I heard that there were great views from one side of the hotel on upper floors. Unfotunately not only were there no rooms for us on the upper floors but nothing on the Manhattan side. So our view was of the road and a taxi garage. The road is quite busy during the day from early morning and as most New Yorkers like to liberally use their horn, it is quite noisy. We had upgraded to a whirlpool suite and the room and bed were large and comfortable but there were certain small deatils that dragged the room down from above average: Not all the whirpool jets worked properly; there was a small patch of mould above the ceiling in the shower and the sink plug in the bathroom did not seal correctly and all the water would run out after a minute. I reported the latter issue on the first day but it had still not been resolved by the time we left. The breakfast room is small (and can get crowded at busy times) with the breakfast itself basic but adequate. A couple of the staff I encountered were very friendly but generally i found them the rest quite cold and aloof.

In conclusion, this is an okay basic hotel with a great location for commuting into Manhattan but loses a star for a lack of attention to detail.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens? Share your experiences!