“Good Value With Minor Cons” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #16 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
ottawa
“Good Value With Minor Cons”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was here for 7 nights .As mentioned by other reviewers you get what you pay for . It is not the Park Plaza so come with an open mind .Compared to the price that you would pay for a Manhattan hotel where you would be charged extra for WiFi and Breakfast I guess that this place is an excellent price steal . The hotel is about 5 years old so it is in relatively good shape.
If you want a city view room you have to pay more for it .The windows are small so I doubt that you will even notice the view it after a few glimpses ...so save your money.
I was in a standard executive room at the elevator which is just a little larger than a standard room as it has a larger entrance way area I was told due to the configuration of the elevator ..so actually no advantage unless you plan to spend time near the doorway . I did not hear the elevators at all .

The air conditioning unit is LOUD and mine had only one setting and that was HIGH the LOW was not functioning . At night time it was always coming on ...it took some time to get used to the new noise .The windows do open but in the summer only the brave would open them during the night due to the summer heat and the outside traffic noise .Avoid New York during the summer .I had not choice but to come here at this time so I had a new NYC season experience .

The hallways ,the breakfast area and the lobby were sometimes uncomfortably warm but you do not spend time in these areas .
Take your breakfast to your room if it becomes too crowded or hot .You can return for more before 10am as there are no guard dogs .

There is free coffee and tea available from the machine in the breakfast room through out the day and evening .

I had breakfast early every morning before the crowds arrived which made the temperature skyrocket in such a small area .Plus you get a better selection of food if you arrive early .There was LOTS to eat ..something for everyone ...remember it is included in the room price so do not complain .You would probably pay 20 bucks in Manhattan for what they offer .

WiFi worked well and you do not need a password . It was down for only one evening during my stay and that was probably due to the terrible thunderstorm that we experienced .

The front desk is mainly Middle Eastern managed so some people may have a problem understanding their dialect .Approach them with a smile and they will smile back .

My main complaint with the hotel was with the timing of the room cleaning service .Checked out rooms are always cleaned first then the remaining guest rooms are done next .My room would not be scheduled to be cleaned on my floor until 3:30/4pm .
Being a senior I would start out exploring HOT NYC early and return early for a much needed rest .The summer NYC heat and humidity is incredible and is immensely draining on the body so I usually return to my room for a pm nap to recharge for the evening before the subway rush hour begins . Unfortunately ,my room would not be made up when I would return .
I had my room cleaned 2x by choice during my 7 night stay as I could not be bothered with this arrival of the cleaning staff at the same time as my nap return ..it was an inconvenience to pick up the valuables and head to the lobby THERE IS NO ROOM SAFE IN ANY ROOM and thsi is a MAJOR inconvenience .I guess that they are very limited on cleaning staff in order to save on operating cost .
When the room was cleaned it was expertly done .No problem there ,

There is a convenient Mobile Gas Station next to the Hotel that stocks EVERYTHING that you could imagine including groceries and fast food .There is a Dunkin Donuts at the subway entrance if you want a carbo and joe fix .There are other eating places but I bypassed them as the room has a great fridge and microwave so I made my own snacks.

The Number 7 Purple subway line to/from Grand Central /Times Square is just an easy few minutes walk from the hotel .Buy a refillable Metro Card for ease and value extra added bonus value .There is an attendant in the booth at the Queensboro Plaza Station who will help you out be sure ask for an excellent free subway map .

Overall, I enjoyed my 7 night stay here .The room was quiet except for the air conditioner ,
the staff and I got along ,the breakfast was good ,the room was clean ,the TV worked great after I put new batteries in the remote ,the shower had good water pressure and hot water was abundant.The bathroom was of a good size with a granite top and the towels were soft ..even the face cloth ...The FREE Wi Fi was excellent .
There was an ironing board and iron in the closet.

Would I return?..yes of course without hesitation !

Room Tip: Manhattan view upper floor rooms cost more but are quieter .
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

994 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Venezia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Positive: Location close to several Metro lines. Breakfast better. Wi-Fi is good and fast.
Negative: Total lack of cleaning. No cleaning the bathroom sink in 10 days. Bathroom small and without support for personal items. The sheets changed only a few times and also the new often smeared. Breakfast tables dirty and never cleaned by staff, lack of food supply before the end of time. Elevator noisy that needs revision to the motors that vibrate the entire property every time it moves and feels up in the rooms

Room Tip: prenotate una De Luxe, almeno avete il supporto per appoggiare qualcosa in bagno, altrimenti vi tova...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlson Hotels C, Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. We apologize for your bathroom not being cleaned regularly during your stay as the issue will be addressed with our cleaning crew. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations as we will address all of your concerns.

If you would like to discuss your stay further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.

Best Regards,
Yorkshire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Location: The hotel is In Long Island City in an area that seems quite run down but on the up with lots of new building and renovation in the area. Although I did not feel unsafe, my wife did fel quite anxious at night. However, the hotel is located close (under 10 minutes walk) to three subway stations which mean you travel to most areas quickly and can be in Manhattan in 10 minutes. Apart from some diners/delis at the cheaper end of the market, there are no restraunts in the immediate area but the subway can take you to anything of you choice.

Hotel/Rooms: I heard that there were great views from one side of the hotel on upper floors. Unfotunately not only were there no rooms for us on the upper floors but nothing on the Manhattan side. So our view was of the road and a taxi garage. The road is quite busy during the day from early morning and as most New Yorkers like to liberally use their horn, it is quite noisy. We had upgraded to a whirlpool suite and the room and bed were large and comfortable but there were certain small deatils that dragged the room down from above average: Not all the whirpool jets worked properly; there was a small patch of mould above the ceiling in the shower and the sink plug in the bathroom did not seal correctly and all the water would run out after a minute. I reported the latter issue on the first day but it had still not been resolved by the time we left. The breakfast room is small (and can get crowded at busy times) with the breakfast itself basic but adequate. A couple of the staff I encountered were very friendly but generally i found them the rest quite cold and aloof.

In conclusion, this is an okay basic hotel with a great location for commuting into Manhattan but loses a star for a lack of attention to detail.

• Stayed June 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Just a few blocks from three subway lines, you can get to Manhattan museums, other attractions, and LGA or JFK quite easily. Breakfast is free and ample, though seating can get crowded at peak times. The local neighborhood is not the finest, but it's safe, and there are some decent budget places to eat nearby. The staff was very courteous and helpful. For the budget-conscious, this is an excellent option for a NYC visit.

Room Tip: Next time, I would make sure my room was not next to the elevator shaft.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
suffolk, uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel. The first time was with a girlfriend in 2011, and when I returned with my husband I decided to go to the same place as I knew the area.
Firstly, you get what you pay for. It's medium budget so don't expect The Ritz. However, we found it to be perfectly clean inside, which was our priority. The area may look a little dodgy, but we went out after 10pm on two occasions looking for food and never felt worried or threatened. The free wi-Fi worked perfectly and was a God-send. The breakfast is fairly basic, but we were happy with tea and toast, followed by a yogurt. We didn't find the front desk staff to be overly friendly, but on the one occasion we had a problem ( sink in bathroom blocked ) it was fixed very quickly. Our room was immediately next to the breakfast room which we felt might have been an issue with noise in the morning, but it really didn't bother us. City views would have been a bonus rather than an alleyway out the back, but we're easy going and in no way did it spoil our trip. We have both said we would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Walnut Creek
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel in located conveniently 5 minutes walk from the subway station. Our room, at the end of the corridor was very quiet, an unexpected surprise. both room and bathroom are kept very clean. Our bed is comfortable and, although the rooms are smaller than other hotels, it has everything we need. The rooms with king beds have city views. rooms with two queen beds face the neighborhood. We are staying at the later but we heard no noise from the street below. Breakfast is complementary but very popular so I would be up early to fight the crowd of people. Te continental breakfast includes waffles, cereal, eggs and sausage (I avoided those), yogurts, bananas, etc. as expected of s continental breakfast. This is a second time in this hotel and we recommend it.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed here as part of a tour of the East Coast of the USA, from the UK, in November 2011.

This hotel was really lovely, newly refurbished at the time, and best of all – their free Wi-Fi worked and breakfast was included! The area it was based in looked a bit dodgy to me, but it turned out to be completely safe and fine.

It is very well located, being within a couple of minutes walk of a subway station, and an assortment of deli's, Dunkin' Donuts, etc. There is also a gas station almost next door for essentials such as bottled water, soda, snacks etc.

The room was small but really nice, comfortable and clean, and the staff there are super-friendly - they printed out our boarding passes for us once I had checked in online for our flight home!

Breakfast was plentiful and good - sausage, scrambled eggs, toast, bagels & cream cheese, yoghurt, mini muffins, donuts, coffee, and orange juice, although you had to get there early to nab the sweet pastries as they tended to go really quickly. There was also a waffle maker but that was constantly in use so we didn't get to try them at this time.

We would DEFINITELY stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens? Share your experiences!