“Better than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
Farum, Denmark
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I booked this hotel early just to make sure that we had a decent place in case we couldn't find something in Manhattan to a fait price. After reading the reviews I didn't expect much, but we were absolutely satisfied. I called the hotel a week before we arrived and requested a room as high as possible and away from the elevators. We got a room on the 9th floor (the top floor) in the corner and with a great view.
The room was big enough for the two of us and we slept very well in the bed. It was a nice room with fridge, free wifi and microwave oven. The breakfast was ok, but the breakfast room was not big enough for all the guest, so a few days we had to wait a little before we could get a table.
I believe that we made a very good deal choosing this hotel. It was easy to get there from JFK, subway was realy close and it only took 10 minuts to get to Times Square, staff was friendly and helpful and we had no issues about the cleaning. We stayed in may and I'm convinced that we saved at least $100 per night compared to a equal hotel in Manhattan, so would definately go back next time we go to New York

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Our family (2 adults, 8 yr, 10 yr) stayed at the Country Inn for 5 nights in May. The location was great. Very close to 2 subway stations that will get you anywhere in the city. And for much less cost than staying in Manhattan. We used the extra money we saved to go see The Lion King on Broadway. : )

The room itself was ok. It was spacious according to NY standards . It had 2 queen beds to accomodate the 4 of us. The mini fridge also came in handy. It also has a microwave (which we did not use.) On the good side, the bed was very comfortable and we had no trouble sleeping. The water was hot in the bathroom and we did not have any issues with hot showers even with the 4 of us taking showers the same night. On the bad side, I was slightly disappointed. The towel rail in the bathroom was not secure and constantly fell down... the bathroom could have been cleaner... the bedsheets had some stains on it... there was a water stain on the ceiling (we were on the top floor)... and water dripped from the smoke detector when it rained. I did not call the front desk about these concerns because we did not spend very much time in the hotel and we did not want anyone in our room while we were gone. We were only there in the morning when we woke up, and then later in the evening at the end of our day. The breakfast was the typical buffet style with waffles to be expected from this price point of hotels.

I would stay here again. I was just a little disappointed because I was expecting a little better from the reviews I read online.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Lewisville, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I chose this hotel because of the fairly high rating on Trip Advisor. Long Island City has few hotels to choose from and my husband and I were wanting to try a different hotel. I will stick to what I'm used to next time, the Four Points Sheraton LIC. I would not stay here again for several reasons. Our bathroom has literally NO counter space. I've got my toiletries spread all over the room because of it. The fitness center is small and has one eliptical, one bike, one treadmill and a weight station. The treadmill is out of order so I used the eliptical, which is also not functioning properly because it said I went 4 miles and burned 98 calories. Pretty sure that's not right. Went down to breakfast and it was slammed with people waiting for tables. Luckily, I was getting my breakfast to go but I still waited in line for the food for at least five minutes and stepped up to a nearly empty breakfast bar. I left with a bagel and one sausage. Forget about getting coffee! That line was about 10 feet long! The view from my room is nasty but I was too cheap to pay for a room with a view of Manhattan, so I got what I paid for in that respect. The housekeeping staff is very loud in the halls and definitely not friendly. I did not let them service my room because of previous guests complaining of theft. Now for the positives....the bed was comfortable. The room is a nice size, unlike many NY hotels, and has a refrigerator and microwave. The shower had great water pressure. The hotel is convenient to the subway station. The staff was semi-friendly. That's about it in a nut shell!

Room Tip: Pay the extra fee for a room with a view. You will not like what you see otherwise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Nasushiobara, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in total. To conclude, this hotel is very reasonable and convenient, I think.

N, Q, 7 and F MTR stations are located very close and within 10 minutes walk from/to the hotel.
There is a gas station right next which opens 24H, and various kinds of alcohole and snacks are available at the store. However, there is no bottle opnener in the room, so if you plan to buy bottle beers there, make sure to bring or buy a bottle opener in advance. Small bottle openers are also available in the gas station store at around $2.
Breakfast area was always crowded so that I brought a tray from the room and took food and drinks back and ate in the room.

I'm sure that I will come back to this hotel when I visit NY neXt time!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We choosed this hotel based on other reviews at Tripadvisor.
The room was great, clean. First night we got a room on the 1st floor. The view was a brick wall but anything else was super. The bed was comfortable, there was a tea-coffee maker, flat screen tv and high speed wi-fi, microwawe, fridge.The only missing item is the in room safe. The only possibility to put your valuables in a safe is at the reception but it is upon availability. (was no available safe when we arrived) The breakfast : enugh to survive but it was not my cup of tea. There was an american coffe from a machine, cereals, bananas, some donuts, bread and the only thing what I liked : the waffle :-) There was also some fried eggs ans some kind of meat balls. That's all. The fruit juice was poor quality it has a kind of "synthetic" feeling.
The price of the room was appr. 60% less than in Manhattan so I accepted the little defects.
The location : excellent! In 2 min to walk there was a metro / train station. From there you can reach all district of Manhattan very easily. Next to the hotel is a gas station with a small shop. you can buy here almost everything. Sandwiches, snacks, fruit, water and chilled beer to.
In every floor there is an ice machine if you need it. Wifi : sometimes work sometimes not but the problem was with our device. (ipad) When it works it was high speed.
We left the hotel for 1 night and we wanted to left our luggage there. By e-mail it was confirmed from Carlson but the receptionist lady first said that it is not possible. When we showed her the confirmation e-mail his boss or colleague said that it is Ok, but only at our own responsibility. (that was fine) So if you have a special request, don't forget to have the confirmation with you) When we come back, we had a room with a view to the city. It was located at the 5th floor. Actually nothing special, I was not impressed. There was a new building wich covered a large part of the view. Maybe in a higher floor or a different location you will have a better view.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Took my partner to New York for her 30th birthday.
Hotel was great during our stay in New York. View of Manhattan and Queensboro bridge was lovely looking at everyday. The hotel is in a fantastic location, 2 minutes walk to Queensboro Plaza subway station which takes you to Times Square in 5 stops and Fifth Avenue/Central Park in 2.
The hotel room was clean, spacious and well equipped, couldn't ask for more within the price. Staff were very helpful and would definitely recommend to anyone wanting a hotel within a lovely area without paying Manhattan prices.
Absolutely brilliant hotel and would stay there again when visiting New York again.

Room Tip: Dunkin Donuts round the corner for additional breakfast ideas, next to subway.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights in April 2013. Overall I'd say that the hotel is good value considering its proximity to Manhattan and all major attractions. You can take the tube from Queensborough Plaza to Manhattan which takes approximately 10 minutes.

We found that the rooms were clean, the complimentary breakfast was ok (not a lot of choice but enough to get you going in the morning including bananas, coffee, a selection of fruit juice, waffles, cereal, bagels etc) and the staff were helpful (based on the fact that our shower was broken on check in and it took 5 minutes for them to fix it and they booked us a taxi to EWR airport on our way back).

I would recommend locking anything valuable in your suitcase before leaving the room each day. Usually we are very careful by doing this every day. On the one occasion that we did not, a pair of trainers that we had bought for a relative at home were stolen from our hotel room. We began to question whether we had brought them back to our room at all but on retracing our footsteps were absolutely certain that we had. We asked reception if they had seen anything but to no avail. On consideration of the situation and weighing up the cost of the trainers vs the antagonism of accusing the hotel of theft on our final night, we decided that we would forego the $50 price tag on this occasion. This was very frustrating and as a guest, you should not have to fear for the security of your personal belongings. This just goes to show how careful you have to be when travelling and why you should secure everything as best as you can (ie locked suitcase)!

I have read other reviews on here which reinforce a history of theft at this hotel. It was very annoying that this incident marred an otherwise fantastic trip to the US. Please secure your belongings to avoid such a situation in future!!!!!

As said, other than the above, the hotel is good value for money and the room was very comfortable. I would recommend staying here, just bring a padlock with you! If not for the theft, I would have given this a 'very good' rating.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens? Share your experiences!