“Terrible experience” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
New York, New York, United States
“Terrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I Stayed here for 2 nights. The room was not exactly the cleanest in the world. The shower wall had all kinds of marks and some stains. The next day after I checked in, i saw that my account was billed 2 times (one for each night of my stay, and also a charge for incidentals on one of the days) I went to the front desk to inquire about this and i was told that these charges would be reconciled after i check out. I checked out and one day later i see a charge for my stay (which was the normal price) but they failed to remove one of the night charges they previously charged me with, and told me that it would be adjusted when i checked out. This caused my debit card to be overdrawn, and in the hole. When i contacted the customer care line they told me they do not have access to billing information, and that i would need to call the hotel. I called the hotel and asked to speak with a manager, and i was put on hold for 10 mins and disconnected. I am very dissatisfied with my stay at this hotel. Not only was the room dirty, but now I have to fight to have a charge lifted off my card because of how they bill customers. I am currently looking to contact the Better Business Bureau about this matter.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online, Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites by Carlson standards.
We also appreciate you bringing the billing matter to our attention. We understand the inconvenience an unexpected charge can cause.

Please feel free to contact us at CCare@carlsonrezidor.com if we can assist you. ~Dana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We booked this as we were looking for somewhere reasonable to stay in New York and did not want to pay Manhattan prices. We secured a good rate for the three nights.
We found the hotel very easily with it being just a few minutes walk from the subway. The subway will bring you into midtown in less than 10 minutes. The area around the subway can intially seem a bit intimidating but to be honest it was perfectly safe and it is always good to see different parts of the city anyway. There is a reasonable choice of shops to pick up sandwiches etc and the petrol station next to the hotel is great for drinks and snacks.
Check in was quick and friendly.
The room was good, clean and enough space for the two of us.
The free breakfast was great with a good choice and some tasty bagels.
The reception staff were reasonably but not over friendly.
We used the luggage storage facility and also the free internet access.
All in all a really good choice if you want something at a reasonable price and are happy to take the short subway ride into Manhattan.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Waltham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I just returned from a stay at the Country Inn & Suites in Queens. I was with my two teenage daughters, our teenage cousin and her Mother. We stayed in a two room suite. The suite had a king size bed on the bedroom and a futon in the living area. When I booked the information page said we could request a roll away, so that was the plan to accommodate all five of us, but when we got there they said it wouldn't fit in our room. They did say we could squeeze it in if we wanted, but it was another $25.00, which I don't recall seeing a notation for a charge when I booked, but that isn't a big deal, it isn't unusual to have to pay for the rollaway. But we decided not to stuff a rollaway in the room. We made it work for the one night, but next time we really will need two rooms. The futon angled toward the floor so it was difficult for two people to sleep on it, and sleeping with my two teenagers in a king sized bed is not something I want to do for more than one night! The room was not the cleanest, I made the mistake of looking under the futon and a kids football was under there, which tells me it hasn't been cleaned under there from the last guests, or perhaps from the last few guests. The closet had just one sheet for the futon and one blanket and one pillow. We called down to get another sheet, blanket and pillow and we were promptly brought up one additional sheet, no mention of another blanket or pillow and I was to tired to ask again. There were a few extra pillows on the king bed, so they used one blanket (scratchy blanket) and one of our pillows and we made due. We would ask not to have this room again, we were near the elevator and you could hear it loudly all night. The bathroom was good size and clean. Our experience with the staff was good, they were kind and pleasant. No issues there. We couldn't check in when we got there and had to wait until the actual check in time, no big deal. I had prepped my kids not to pack one single item that they would be upset about losing. I had read on other posts about things disappearing from rooms, and that they allowed you to store luggage in the lobby prior to check in but it was not secure. That is the truth, it is not secure, but we didn't pack anything we couldn't part with easily, so it was fine for us. Breakfast was meager, and packed, but we got enough to get us through the morning. And there is a Dunkin right near the subway entrance, so I was able to grab a coffee when we headed into the heart of the city. That is the real gem of this place. It was manageable for me to drive to, there is a parking lot nearby that you can pay $15 to park for 24hrs, and the subway is two blocks away and three stops and you are in Times Square. You get what you pay for. We got a great rate at a place that was convenient to accommodate 5 of us on our annual trip to take in a Broadway show. We will likely return to this property again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I travel to NYC regularly and every time I stay somewhere different, based on price and availability. This was my first time staying in Queens and this hotel exceeded my expectations.

I stayed 2 nights without any problem. The hotel is very close to the subway, even with some MTA construction that weekend it was still convenient for getting into Manhattan.

Pros: very affordable and nice for the price, quiet, rooms were updated, had a view of Manhattan, breakfast was decent, free wifi worked well, clean

Cons: room was not ready until the exact check in time, which I guess is to be expected. But other hotels have had the room ready earlier, which is a major plus.

Also, Security is a bit lacking. Because our room was not ready when we got there we had to store our bags, which normally isn't a problem at most hotels. But the hotel's bag storage area is just a corner of the lobby- not behind the desk or in the back. So it didn't exactly feel as secure as it should considering people would just dig through the bags to find theirs (no bag claim tickets, or staff assistance)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The rooms are comfortable, the breakfast selection is small but tasty, the location is close to the metro which was nice. But all of that was tarnished when my headphones (which were sitting under some papers on the TV stand) disappeared in the two hours I was out when the cleaners came in. Calling down to the front desk didn't seem to help at all. They just told us that we should look harder. We had torn that room apart and still nothing! The Inn refused to compensate for my stolen property assuring us that their best housekeeper had cleaned our room the day in question. I find it hard to believe that their best housekeeper would leave their partly eaten chips on our floor. Maybe they aren't expected to clean up after themselves too, I don't know. So if you want to leave with everything you came with, I suggest you choose another place to stay. Either that or assume that anything that's left out on a desk will be taken as a 'tip'.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
We are disappointed and concerned to hear of the experience you had while staying at our hotel. We would like to speak with you directly regarding this problem so we can resolve this and to ensure something like this does not occur in the future. Please call Carlson Customer Care at 1-800-967-9182 at your earliest convenience.
Columbia, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was appalled at the service as well as the condition of the "suite" we stayed in. We stay at Country Inn quite often when traveling with 4 or more partly due to the breakfast (my daugters LOVE the waffles) and because I have never been disappointed with the level of standards. This trip was a NIGHTMARE. From the rude check-in and attempted charge of incidentals PRIOR to our arrival as well as the "suite" we were given. The "sofa bed" was a broken futon, which was wouldn't even fold into a couch to make room for the 2 rollaway guest services placed in our room as replacement. It was IMPOSSIBLE to sleep on and I in fact had to pick my daughter off the FLOOR twice in the first night. Although the reservation CLEARLY stated that we were five (5), we were not given enough pillows nor sheets and blankets. When I asked guest services they responded with "if we have any we will send them up". "If" they have any????? This experience made me consider the staying at any other Country Inn in the future, although in eight years have NEVER had issues like this. Only consider this location if paying $100 or less and if traveling as a couple or two in a party and going to sightsee and not in need of actual "service".

Room Tip: pay only less than $100 and request city view room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
We are disappointed to hear of the problems you encountered during your stay at our hotel. Our management team has been made aware of the poor quality of service from the staff members. We are currently taking measures to ensure situations such as this do not reoccur in the future, as customer service is something we pride ourselves on at Country Inns & Suites. We hope you get the chance in the near future to visit our hotel, so we get the opportunity to exceed your expectations and restore your faith in our hotel.
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Excellent location if you are on an NYC budget. It's situated on the N, Q and 7 line at Queensboro Plaza. Then just around the corner from the station. Hotel is looking dated, shabby chairs in the foyer that could do with replacing. Staff are okay, a bit curt but maybe that is the NYC way. Breakfast very basic compared to some other Country Inns and no ketchup (I know, very minor but I like ketchup with my sausages!). Rooms fine and good if you have kids, you can have a 1 bedroom suite. Local area fine, garage next door to get water etc. Also a few local cafes, take aways available if you're back early. All in all would stay again with kids and for a cheap NYC stay.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens? Share your experiences!