“They stole my headphones” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
Edmonton, Canada
“They stole my headphones”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The rooms are comfortable, the breakfast selection is small but tasty, the location is close to the metro which was nice. But all of that was tarnished when my headphones (which were sitting under some papers on the TV stand) disappeared in the two hours I was out when the cleaners came in. Calling down to the front desk didn't seem to help at all. They just told us that we should look harder. We had torn that room apart and still nothing! The Inn refused to compensate for my stolen property assuring us that their best housekeeper had cleaned our room the day in question. I find it hard to believe that their best housekeeper would leave their partly eaten chips on our floor. Maybe they aren't expected to clean up after themselves too, I don't know. So if you want to leave with everything you came with, I suggest you choose another place to stay. Either that or assume that anything that's left out on a desk will be taken as a 'tip'.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
We are disappointed and concerned to hear of the experience you had while staying at our hotel. We would like to speak with you directly regarding this problem so we can resolve this and to ensure something like this does not occur in the future. Please call Carlson Customer Care at 1-800-967-9182 at your earliest convenience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Columbia, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was appalled at the service as well as the condition of the "suite" we stayed in. We stay at Country Inn quite often when traveling with 4 or more partly due to the breakfast (my daugters LOVE the waffles) and because I have never been disappointed with the level of standards. This trip was a NIGHTMARE. From the rude check-in and attempted charge of incidentals PRIOR to our arrival as well as the "suite" we were given. The "sofa bed" was a broken futon, which was wouldn't even fold into a couch to make room for the 2 rollaway guest services placed in our room as replacement. It was IMPOSSIBLE to sleep on and I in fact had to pick my daughter off the FLOOR twice in the first night. Although the reservation CLEARLY stated that we were five (5), we were not given enough pillows nor sheets and blankets. When I asked guest services they responded with "if we have any we will send them up". "If" they have any????? This experience made me consider the staying at any other Country Inn in the future, although in eight years have NEVER had issues like this. Only consider this location if paying $100 or less and if traveling as a couple or two in a party and going to sightsee and not in need of actual "service".

Room Tip: pay only less than $100 and request city view room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
We are disappointed to hear of the problems you encountered during your stay at our hotel. Our management team has been made aware of the poor quality of service from the staff members. We are currently taking measures to ensure situations such as this do not reoccur in the future, as customer service is something we pride ourselves on at Country Inns & Suites. We hope you get the chance in the near future to visit our hotel, so we get the opportunity to exceed your expectations and restore your faith in our hotel.
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location if you are on an NYC budget. It's situated on the N, Q and 7 line at Queensboro Plaza. Then just around the corner from the station. Hotel is looking dated, shabby chairs in the foyer that could do with replacing. Staff are okay, a bit curt but maybe that is the NYC way. Breakfast very basic compared to some other Country Inns and no ketchup (I know, very minor but I like ketchup with my sausages!). Rooms fine and good if you have kids, you can have a 1 bedroom suite. Local area fine, garage next door to get water etc. Also a few local cafes, take aways available if you're back early. All in all would stay again with kids and for a cheap NYC stay.

• Stayed February 2013
Lockport, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed here for one week between Christmas and New Year's Day, due to convenient location and affordable price for our family. The reservation was booked many months in advance, with a request of a rollaway for our family of five. Called front desk several times leading up to our trip to confirm rollaway request. I do not believe that this hotel owns a rollaway. When I called to confirm the morning of our arrival, the hotel front desk person announced there was no room for a rollaway in a 2 double bed room. I called to complain to Expedia, since I had booked this with their service and since it was too late to book anywhere else. Expedia called the hotel to ask them about this issue and the hotel agreed to provide a rollaway, based on availability. Well, there never was a rollaway available for the entire length of our one week stay.I believe they agree to the rollaway just to get you to book your reservation, then you get the surprise when you arrive.
Furthermore, and worse, my daughter's purse containing over $150 dollars of cosmetics was stolen from her suitcase on our day of check-out. We had stored our suitcases in another family member's room, since we did not like the idea of the suitcases being held out in the open lobby. During the several hours we were gone that morning, someone opened the suitcase and saw a purse on top, probably expecting to find money and/or charge cards. We discovered the missing item before our taxi came for the airport. The staff seemed unconcerned and stated that "their houskeeping staff does not steal items". They were unwilling to compensate us for the stolen items. I called the parent company, but because this is a franchise owned hotel, they said we must deal directly with this particular hotel. I have called since to see if the item has turned up, and of course it has not. Very disappointing !
Oh - and I see many accounts of hair on the towels (we had found this to be true as well). This is probably because I observed the houskeeping staff throwing the "clean" towels for the rooms on the hallway floor before replenishing them in the rooms. The only thing this property has going for it is its proximity to the subway to Manhattan. (thus the rating of 2)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
We apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay at our hotel. We do indeed have rollaway beds, but it is against the fire code to distribute rollaway beds to guests in the rooms with 2 double beds. Rollaways are available for a small fee on a first come first serve basis. The reason we do not allow guests to reserve rollaways is because we do want to accommodate each guest that arrives at our hotel as best as we possible can, so we do not want to hold a rollaway bed for a guest that might not show up.

We also apologize for the condition of the towels, we have contacted the housekeeping supervisor to ensure housekeeping practices are more closely monitored to ensure our staff is adhering to the standards of Country Inns & Suites.

If you wish to discuss this further, please contact Carlson Customer Care at 1-800-967-9182.
Greece Crete
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

3 minutes away from Subway.
1 station away from Manhattan.
Big rooms
Cheap for New York.
Free wifi.
Personel could be more smiley.
Breakfast plates are plastic!
But i would definately stay there again.

Room Tip: 708 was a big room. 616 was smaller
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights. It is 2 blocks from the #7 subway in Queens, so you are 5 minutes and 1 subway stop from Manhattan. It is really convenient location.

The only downside was there are no real restaurants nearby. it is in an industrial area near the East River, so just a few small shops are around.

But the rooms are very clean, great breakfast, and friendly staff. The bed was also very comfortable. The pillows were a little small, but comfortable. It is a very good place for families.

We plan to come back here in 1 week for 1 night again. Very good place.

Room Tip: Get a high floor facing Manhattan and you will have a nice view of the city.
Belgrade, Serbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel worths no more than 3 stars ( 1 being added for location). Otherwise it's a shame that it's part of Radisson family. It has the worst stuff i have met during my stays ( and i am a weekly traveller in hotels). They are handling customers as if you bother them and when some piece of garment was missing from the room the hotel manager replied to me very rude "we don't take things from room". So not only that Radisson chain has lost me as a customer but it's the first time in years of travel when i am missing something from room and the staff is answering my complain in a very rude way.
Breakfast room smells awful and is dirty and is offering just few things to fill-up the stomach + a very low quality coffee. Luckily few meters out and you can have a decent breakfast.
Towels in bathroom have hair leftovers (which didn't belong to me or my boyfriend) and i saw this issue being raised in other posts. So i guess it's "custom" of the hotel.
It's close to the Queensboro and Queens Plaza train stations which makes it a good choice for connecting to Manhattan.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple