“Value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Sao Paulo, SP
“Value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Good location, just one block from Queensboro Plaza. Nice room, but they should have a better clean service. Good breakfast, but there is no enough space for everyone and sometimes there is a line. NO parking area, but it's possible to find payed parking near. Free coffee and cookies during all day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

994 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

First let me mention the closest metro stop is Queensboro Plaza!! We didn't realize this until the last day, all the while we had taken the Queensbridge exit (.4 miles away) or the Queens Plaza exit (.5 miles away) So mental note to you guys it is the Q or N train you want to take!

The neighboorhood is dark and dreary, it's not a place I would feel comfortable walking alone at night. There is a little gas station next door open 24 hours, so that's good for snacks or water.
The breakfast is decent, bagels, cereal, juice, and make your own waffle station. When leaving your bags, they dont check them in for you. There is a little area next to the check in desk where they let you place them. That was scary anyone could walk in and grab a bag and walk out. Overall would I stay here again? probably not. We got a great deal during an expensive time in New York so it worked out for us. Average hotels in the ciy were $300+, here we paid $140, so big savings that were worth the hassel. So it is up to you to decide what you value more.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

I live in NJ and work in NYC. I was having a medical procedure which required me to be at 64th and 3rd by 615 am. In conjunction with the early start time and pre-op stuff required the night before, staying at home wouldn't work. I found a rate of $127 plus tax, which was the cheapest of the LIC hotels usually recommended and at least a hundred cheaper than any hotel near the facility.

I took the train from 63rd and third one stop to Queensborough Plaza. I hopstoped it but walked out the wrong side. A traffic officer pointed me in the right direction and my phone took me the rest of my way.

Check in was quick. I was told about the free breakfast and gym, neither of which I could use. There was also some cookie under glass at the counter- tough to walk away, but I must.

Given room 311. Near elevator but not loud. My night consisted of watching decent flat screen tv. The blind sufficiently kept out the street light out and I had no street noise issue. I heard a little hall noise but it wasnt horrible. King bed was comfy enough, as were pillows. There was a frig in room as well as little coffee maker.

Only "issue" - bathroom smelled a Little like smoke - not sure if from prior visitor or vent - annoying but not unbearable.

Next morning, at 6 am, grabbed cab right out front, was at location in ten minutes.

Hotel was fine for my purposes .

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Elizabethtown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were looking for a hotel to stay at while we attended the Macy's parade. We didn't want to pay Manhattan prices but wanted to be close. I read all the reviews and decided on this property because of the rating on here, price and close proximity to the subway station. Our room was nice and a decent size. The property is showing some age but the room was clean and the view of the city was good. The breakfast was decent and the staff was average friendly which is par for the course in NYC. There is a parking lot real close and cost is $15 for 24 hours. There is a c-store right next door and their prices are better than what we would expect in upstate NY, where we live.

We discussed it on the way home and decided that we were stay here again!

Room Tip: Get a city view room.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Hotel was very clean, check in was fast, friendly and informative. Pay parking facility was right next door and not expensive, $15.00 for 24 hrs. Hotel was half the price as driving into down town and so was the parking. Didn't get a chance to have the continental breakfast but one of the other families that were there said it was good & they were happy with it. There is a gas station right next door with a convience store inside, very handy. The room seemed like it had just been remodeled. The bed was very comfortable with lots of pillows. 40" TV, lots of channels, Mini Frig. and Microwave. I would stay again without hesitation.

Room Tip: I can't belive there are any bad ones. But as a rule of thumb, ask for a room away from the stai...
St. Petersburg, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

To whom this may concern,

Recently I stayed at the Country Inn and Suites Long Island City location with a business colleague of mine and I am sorry to report that the entire experience was dreadful. Our company is comprised of insurance adjusters who traveled MANY hours to New York to assist the victims affected from Superstorm Sandy.

Immediately at check-in, my colleague and I ran into problems with the staff at the front desk. Specifically, the name on my colleagues Driver's License read Richard as his name, but the staff would not accept his business credit card as the name on the card said Rick. Therefore according to the front desk staff the names did not match and they would not accept. My colleague finally paid with his personal debit card. The next morning I asked another attendant about the same who said that was ridiculous and that she never would have treated us like that.

The attitude and professionalism displayed by the hotel staff at the front entrance was deplorable, however due to thousands being displaced by Sandy, we had nowhere else to go. I think they used that to their advantage or we would have walked right out. Additionally, as many rooms located in and around New York City were being booked, I personally made an additional reservation that would have extended my stay for an additional three (3) days into the weekend. Fortunately, during that time before the weekend, I found another hotel, which was much closer to the disaster area, ultimately allowing me to assist more people as I did not have to make the 4 hour commute. Upon checkout, I was provided an invoice for my stay and verbal agreement from the front desk that they canceling my additional reservation.

In hindsight, I should have requested a cancellation number or asked for a copy of the cancellation reservation because the hotel never did follow up with their agreement and subsequently charged me for an additional 3 days even after I formally checked out of my room. I attempted to contact the hotel manager regarding the same, but to no avail as they never returned my calls.

In closing, I feel taken advantage of and was not even provided the courtesy of having the front desk or Country Inn and Suites management explain why they charged me for a room that I cancelled and did not stay in. This unfortunate event may very well be a "sign of the times" as this particular facility appears to be all about the money, not customer satisfaction. Let this serve as a warning to those traveling long hours or displaced by Superstorm Sandy to not be caught off guard when checking in or out of this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
We are very sorry to hear about the billing problems that you encountered at our hotel. We do appreciate you taking the time to post this review and we will take your comments very seriously.
Warrington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Our room had good city view with huge bed. If we go again I would take a kettle. There was a coffee maker but not tea making stuff other than microwave. Milk was not provided so went to gas station next door which was very well stocked. Breakfast was a crowded affair if you timed it wrong, but you could take food back to your room. My mother 94 and niece were in an other room they had problems with dirty sheets and lack of bedding which took a long time to sort out due to language problems. Very convenient for subway and a safe area even at night.

Room Tip: Higher rooms had best view. Take your own kettle
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens? Share your experiences!