“OK for the price and location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #16 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Utah
“OK for the price and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights - mom and teenager. I read reviews for 5 months so I felt like I knew what to expect. This hotel is good if you are looking for a clean place to sleep, a good value, and close to the subway. It was easy to find coming from JFK. We arrived at the Queensboro Plaza subway stop and could see the hotel less than 2 blocks away. We also used Queensbridge, which is about 3 blocks away. We left early every morning and returned around 10:00 pm every night and always felt safe.
I was very disappointed with our room assignment. I reserved a city view room (5 months in advance, with a follow up call the week before) and we were given a room on the 4th floor on the side of the building that faces the city. I asked if this was a city view room and was told that they didn't have any and saw in the notes that I reserved a city view and requested a high floor, but they didn't have one available. They told me to try the next day to see if anything opened up. (We couldn't check out and check in to another room since we were gone all day, every day.)
We checked the bed for bugs and did NOT find any, but did find that the sheets had stains and holes and they were put at the foot of the bed. The sheets didn't fit the bed very well and didn't stay tucked in. We ate the complimentary breakfast every mooring. When we got there at 7:00 am it was not crowded but when we got there around 8:00 am it was. The only day we didn't find a table we just went back to our room with our food. They had cereal, bread, bagels, mini muffins, yogurt, juice, milk, bananas, sausage, egg patties (yuck) and waffles. It was okay to start the day but it was the same every day.
Cons:
-not given the reserved or requested room
-smoke detector cover was off and wires were hanging out (don't know if it worked or not)
-stained sheets and stained carpet in the hallways; cheap towels
-sheets didn't fit the bed very well
-rain shower head did not have much pressure
-one day someone was smoking on our floor (I reported it to the front desk)
-breakfast was the same every day
-no luggage storage room
Pros:
-clean
-good for the price and location
-close to the subway
-complimentary breakfast and WiFi
-felt safe, especially with the busy gas station next door
-comfortable bed
-good sized room
-curved shower curtain rod
For this trip the Country Inn was all that we needed. We were looking for a clean and safe place to sleep, with complimentary breakfast and WiFi, and close to a subway stop.

Room Tip: A city view room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

848 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Bismarck, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel again on September 13 & 14th. It is still popular as it was totally booked. The breakfast was still marginal, typical Country Inn and Suites breakfast. We had a city view room but new construction is starting to limit the view so it is not as good as a year ago. About half of the view is now blocked by new construction. Now for the good part. This is still super convenient to the trains which are only a 5 minute walk away. The room was clean and the staff was excellent. The surrounding area is experiencing a boom in new services and condos. It appears that the excellent location has been discovered and new restaurants and luxury condos are being built. From our first stay over a year ago to this fall, the surrounding area has really improved. We would definitely stay here again. The positives for our "city stay" outweighed the negatives. We look for a nice hotel with convenient access to Manhattan without the Manhattan prices. We also like the direct connection from here on the train to JFK and the cheap cab fare of $25 to Laguardia. This hotel definitely fits our needs.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view for the best experience. Although a view of the Manhattan skyline at night is n...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed in this hotel a few times. On my first stay I noticed itching all over my body after I woke up in the morning. I was sure that it is because of bed bug but I could not find any. I've read a review about bed bugs in the hotel and I took a chance because rate was comparatively low. When I stayed one more time in July, I noticed the blood stain in the sheets next day. When I came back in the after noon after I noticed bed bugs crawling on my pillow. I called the front desk and they said no problem we will switch you to another room. I show him the bugs and he was reaction was like it is not a bid deal.I was so pissed and I checkout in that evening.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Carlson Hotels C, Online, Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to post this review. We want you to know The Country Inn & Suites By Carlson New York City Queens and the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group will work diligently to ensure any claim is fully investigated, and a proper final resolution is provided. If you would like to discuss anything, please feel free to email us. Our email is CCare@carlsonrezidor.com. ~Dana
Budapest, Hungary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

The good:
- Good location near the Queensboro Bridge. Three subway lines can be reached within 2-3 minutes of walk, another four a little farther, but still within easy reach. Midtown Manhattan is then just one stop away (or a few on other lines).
- At first sight the area seemed a little sketchy, but we've felt safe, even when returning to the hotel at 2 am.
- Rooms are well equipped.
- Much cheaper than Manhattan options.

The not so good:
- The living area of the suite doesn't have any windows.
- The hotel is in a small(er) street, but there is quite some noise. Just opposite there is a taxi depot and right next a gas station. Windows are basic, don't shield much. And, well yes, it's the city that never sleeps...
- The breakfast area is very undersized, so when we turned up between 8-9 am, we had to wait just to find a table. Breakfast selection was average.
- There is no baggage store area in the hotel. If you want to leave your stuff at the hotel for the day after you've checked out, you are allowed to leave it in the lobby. But they explicitely disclaimed responsibility. You can't leave your stuff overnight. (E.g. if you'd return to the same hotel after a short trip to another city.)
- The treadmill in the gym didn't work. We asked the front desk on naybe 4-5 occasions and they've promised to have it repaired. Twelve days later, when we've left, it still didn't work.
- We didn't find any real restaurants nearby, but there are a lot of decent fast food options (incl. Subway, Dunkin', pizza & burgers) close to the nearest subway station (2-3 minutes walk).

The bad:
- In two (Room 712 and 706) of the three rooms we've been in I've found bedbugs. (That's why we've requested to change the room. The last one was room 906, which was OK.) One night I've caught three of them (in room 712). I mean how many must have been there if I could catch three? I've had countless bites.
- Cleanlyness was an issue on multiple ocassions. Once I had to request my linen to be changed, because it didn't look clean. Ocassionaly linens were torn and / or had stains. The carpet in the rooms and in the common areas didn't look clean, again with stains.

Room Tip: One without begbugs...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support, Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group at Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. We apologize for the incidents you encountered during your stay. I was to assure you that the hotel as well as corporate are aware of these problems, specifically the bed bugs, and we are taking the necessary measure to maintain and eliminate the problem as soon as possible. We thank you for your feedback, and are using your information to improve our property in an attempt to adhere to our brand's standards and to exceed the expectations of future guests.

Jon Kimbrough
Online Customer Support, Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group
Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed three nights in September after reading most of the reviews on Tripadvisor. We had reserved a city view room and were able to check in before noon. The front desk staff were not unfriendly, just efficient. No bed bugs were found. The room was fairly large, the king sized bed was extremely comfortable, the plasma TV was nice, and there was a fridge and microwave in the room. The bathroom was fine and we had no issues with cleanliness or housekeeping service. Sure, the breakfast room could get crowded, but with a nine story hotel it would have had to have been huge to accomodate everyone during peak periods. If you get there before 7:00 AM, you will not have a problem; otherwise, wait for a table or take the breakfast to your room. Queensboro Plaza station is a block and a half away, and we utilized two other stations in close proximity. At no time after dark did we feel concerned for safety. We saved a ton of money by not staying in Manhattan, and got exactly what we paid for--a budget hotel with some nice features. One of them was the view from our window.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view, high up.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have made a Club Carlson award reservation at the Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens, NY in September for one night. Being a Concierge Member at the Carlson Group I used my points for this reservation. I have booked a room with two double beds as I was told and phoned the hotel a night before to double check this. I was told that it is on file.

Upon arrival I met some of the most arrogant and rude staff I have ever encountered while traveling. I have traveled to many countries, with different cultures and customs, but being threatened upon check in was new to me. The receptionist with the last name Patel rejected my valid driving license as an ID for check in and seem not even to acknowledge that I had an credit card and a Club Carlson Concierge member card with the same first and last name as the reservation. He said that New York Police requires him to see a passport. That might be a correct fact, but threatening the customer and verbally insulting was way beyond any level of hospitality. When I in the end asked my friend that was traveling with me to provide his ID, Mr. Patel seem to be pleased. Following this, he “threw” the room keys on the desk. When I asked what type of room it is, I was informed that it is a room with a king size. I immediately and in a polite way made a note that this is not the room I booked and requested. He said that this is the room he gives me and if I have spoken about anything else with the Club Carlson Membership (since it was an Award reservation), I must call or raise my complain to them. I felt the following conversation to be very unpleasant and it was insulting to be shouted at. My friend felt the same way and based on this I did call Club Carlson Reservations number. More than three times did the reservations support desk talked with Mr. Patel while I served as a bell boy giving Mr. Patel my mobile phone and getting it back when it turned out two times that there is no solution to this situation. In the end I was offered a second room at a rack rate or I could “see the main” door if that was not satisfying for me. Due to the excessive arrogance and rudeness I not only felt not welcome at this property, but also felt insulted. When I addressed Mr. Patel’s behavior, he seem not to be bothered and said that it’s the way I see his behavior, but he said that he is just doing his job. If the service level of this hotel is on the same level with insulting hotel guests, then there is something wrong. I have mostly very good experiences with Carlson properties world-wide and thus believe that this person working at the front desk is just lacking training or qualifications to execute this job.

Based on the problem matter, I left this property and made a new booking at another hotel.

Conclusion: Stay away from this hotel!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Carlson Hotels C, Corporate Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience you experienced. Your comment will be forwarded to management so that they are aware of the situation. Please feel free to contact us at CCare@CarlsonRezidor.com if you have any questions or concerns.
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We didn't want to pay Manhatttan prices for accommodation and this hotel is a 10 minute train ride to Times Square. Our room was a reasonable size with a comfortable king size bed. We had a fridge, microwave and plasma tv. Breakfast is included in the price, but you need to be in the breakfast room by approx 6.30am to get a table. We found a great little cafe at the bottom of the street that did fantastic breakfasts and coffee for $4 - well worth a visit. The hotel does not have a guest laundry, however, on the same street is a laundromat with all new machines and dryers. There are a couple of eateries nearby eg Subway, Dunkin Donuts etc.

The subway stop is Queensboro Plaza. We ended up buying a weekly rail pass for approx $28 and it was definitely the way to do it. Queensboro Plaza is on the NQR 7 line - the Q train is the express train from downtown to Queensboro Plaza (6-7 minutes). LaGuardia airport is a $20 taxi fare. Overall, we are pleased we stayed at this hotel. It is in a great location and is reasonably priced.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens? Share your experiences!