“Not a thing wrong with this place” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #16 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Arkansas
“Not a thing wrong with this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed three nights in September after reading most of the reviews on Tripadvisor. We had reserved a city view room and were able to check in before noon. The front desk staff were not unfriendly, just efficient. No bed bugs were found. The room was fairly large, the king sized bed was extremely comfortable, the plasma TV was nice, and there was a fridge and microwave in the room. The bathroom was fine and we had no issues with cleanliness or housekeeping service. Sure, the breakfast room could get crowded, but with a nine story hotel it would have had to have been huge to accomodate everyone during peak periods. If you get there before 7:00 AM, you will not have a problem; otherwise, wait for a table or take the breakfast to your room. Queensboro Plaza station is a block and a half away, and we utilized two other stations in close proximity. At no time after dark did we feel concerned for safety. We saved a ton of money by not staying in Manhattan, and got exactly what we paid for--a budget hotel with some nice features. One of them was the view from our window.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view, high up.

994 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Oslo, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have made a Club Carlson award reservation at the Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens, NY in September for one night. Being a Concierge Member at the Carlson Group I used my points for this reservation. I have booked a room with two double beds as I was told and phoned the hotel a night before to double check this. I was told that it is on file.

Upon arrival I met some of the most arrogant and rude staff I have ever encountered while traveling. I have traveled to many countries, with different cultures and customs, but being threatened upon check in was new to me. The receptionist with the last name Patel rejected my valid driving license as an ID for check in and seem not even to acknowledge that I had an credit card and a Club Carlson Concierge member card with the same first and last name as the reservation. He said that New York Police requires him to see a passport. That might be a correct fact, but threatening the customer and verbally insulting was way beyond any level of hospitality. When I in the end asked my friend that was traveling with me to provide his ID, Mr. Patel seem to be pleased. Following this, he “threw” the room keys on the desk. When I asked what type of room it is, I was informed that it is a room with a king size. I immediately and in a polite way made a note that this is not the room I booked and requested. He said that this is the room he gives me and if I have spoken about anything else with the Club Carlson Membership (since it was an Award reservation), I must call or raise my complain to them. I felt the following conversation to be very unpleasant and it was insulting to be shouted at. My friend felt the same way and based on this I did call Club Carlson Reservations number. More than three times did the reservations support desk talked with Mr. Patel while I served as a bell boy giving Mr. Patel my mobile phone and getting it back when it turned out two times that there is no solution to this situation. In the end I was offered a second room at a rack rate or I could “see the main” door if that was not satisfying for me. Due to the excessive arrogance and rudeness I not only felt not welcome at this property, but also felt insulted. When I addressed Mr. Patel’s behavior, he seem not to be bothered and said that it’s the way I see his behavior, but he said that he is just doing his job. If the service level of this hotel is on the same level with insulting hotel guests, then there is something wrong. I have mostly very good experiences with Carlson properties world-wide and thus believe that this person working at the front desk is just lacking training or qualifications to execute this job.

Based on the problem matter, I left this property and made a new booking at another hotel.

Conclusion: Stay away from this hotel!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Carlson Hotels C, Corporate Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience you experienced. Your comment will be forwarded to management so that they are aware of the situation. Please feel free to contact us at CCare@CarlsonRezidor.com if you have any questions or concerns.
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We didn't want to pay Manhatttan prices for accommodation and this hotel is a 10 minute train ride to Times Square. Our room was a reasonable size with a comfortable king size bed. We had a fridge, microwave and plasma tv. Breakfast is included in the price, but you need to be in the breakfast room by approx 6.30am to get a table. We found a great little cafe at the bottom of the street that did fantastic breakfasts and coffee for $4 - well worth a visit. The hotel does not have a guest laundry, however, on the same street is a laundromat with all new machines and dryers. There are a couple of eateries nearby eg Subway, Dunkin Donuts etc.

The subway stop is Queensboro Plaza. We ended up buying a weekly rail pass for approx $28 and it was definitely the way to do it. Queensboro Plaza is on the NQR 7 line - the Q train is the express train from downtown to Queensboro Plaza (6-7 minutes). LaGuardia airport is a $20 taxi fare. Overall, we are pleased we stayed at this hotel. It is in a great location and is reasonably priced.

Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

While the location and price are great the BED BUG's are an additional "amenity" that you get when staying there. We had 3 rooms at this hotel and all 3 room has bed bug's. We approached local site management about the situation, even provided them with a live bed bug that we put in a cup, and they immediatley knew what it was that we had int he cup. This just told us that they were already aware of this situation. Did I mention that a couple was also complaning of the be bugs at the same time we did, the female guest was pregnant!!! Now we know why when we were checking in their were people checking out with thier luggage inside plastic bags. Oh, and dont bother complaining to Carlson-Rezidor, the company that franchises this property out because after 3 weeks of waiting for an answer on a complaint I filed with them their resoution was a free nights stay! Oh , did I mention that this was our wedding weekend and they ruined it for us and our guest but Carlson-Rezidor thought that a gift certificate for a free night's stay would make it all better..WRONG...Such a shame this hotel has gone to "waste" as we used to stay there all of the time but now will never return. Dont stay there unless you want some souvenier BED BUGS to take home.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Carlson Hotels C, Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The Country Inn & Suites By Carlson New York City Queens and the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group will work diligently to ensure any claim is fully investigated, and a proper final resolution is provided. We appreciate you bringing our attention to this matter.
Manningtree, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Reading other reviews I wasnt too sure what to expect. I can tell you that the hotel was excellent for our needs. The room was big with a whirlpool bath and although we were in the basement it was just fine. We could have changed to a room on another floor but to be honest the room was clean and had everything we needed plus only neighbours on one side.
The breakfast was fine and plentiful.The staff were polite and very helpful, The metro was two blocks away and only 4 stops from Times Square.
I would not hesitate to use this hotel again plus the price of the room was very good value.

Room Tip: Go for a whirlpool bath as this will give you a bigger room.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Was looking for somewhere cheaper than manhattan but still convenient and this fit the bill just fine. room was comfortable and clean. breakfast was lots of different food but space was a bit cramped. technically 1 1/2 blocks to subway south, and 2 blocks to subway to the east: 4 different lines to choose from. Definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms higher up on the east side give you a great view of manhattan.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Langley City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

We selected this hotel based on the price, location and other positive reviews. Our room was comfortable especially the bed. The bathroom was tiny with very limited counter space but we made it work. Each day we travelled into Manhattan by subway which was very close by. We took advantage of the breakfast every day and this saved us a lot of time and money. Next store is a gas station that sells all the extras one might need like bottled water and snacks. The area is fine on the daytime but I was a little nervous in the evening.
Overall, I would rewind this hotel for anyone on a budget. Have a good subway map and you will have a great time.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens? Share your experiences!