“Can't imagine better!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Long Island City
Vancouver, Washington
“Can't imagine better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Was trying to stay low budget out of Manhattan and this was the perfect place. Two safe, easy walking blocks from the Queensboro subway station. The N,Q,R and 7 lines are available right there and one stop west and you are already in Manhattan. There is a convenience store right next to the hotel that seemed to have everything imaginable. The price was half of anything I could get in Manhattan and instead of getting a tiny, dingy room in a beat-up old hotel we got to stay in this beautiful new hotel where the staff was extremely helpful. The breakfast was phenomenal - Eggs, sausage, cereals, yogurt, donuts, toast, juice, coffee, tea, waffles (the good kind), etc. Everything was very clean there and no odors. The parking is right up the street but watch out, they charge extra for anything bigger than a sedan. I paid $20/night for a small SUV.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Stayed here in June, whilst transitioning from overseas to NY. The cost of Manhattan hotels were prohibitive, so chose Country Inn & Suites as an alternative after reading reviews online. Hotel has the basic amenities needed at a reasonable cost. Staff are very businesslike and not locals (all indians) so where not very helpful with directions or much else. It has a mini mart next door in the gas station and is within walking distance of some eateries like a subway, chinese restaurants (that also deliver), dunkin donuts etc. Also very close to the subway. Room temperature is controlled within the room as well. The 1K suite had a lot of closet space. All rooms come with a refridgerator, iron and microwave. I had two different reservations for two different types of rooms and got moved to a room facing Crescent Street - i couldn't get much sleep with early morning taxi horns etc. Also area around hotel is 'old industrial' so appears lonely - however walked it severally without any incidence. Also didn't try the free breakfast.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms facing crescent street - very noisy
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

Price and location perfect for staying in new york for vaccation.
Nice rooms, free wifi, breakfast is american style (plastic cups, etc.) but ok with bagels, waffels and eggs.
Try to get the king city view.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bismarck, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights in 2011 and enjoyed the staff, the room and the location. Our city view room gave the most amazing views of Manhattan at night. We liked it better than staying in Manhattan because of the views of the lit up skyline. The hotel is only two blocks from the train so it is only 10 minutes into Manhattan. The hotel was spotless and the staff was extremely helpful. We are world travelers and we have no complaints about this hotel. We liked it so much that we are going to stay here again this September, 2012. We have already booked our reservation.

Room Tip: Choose a city view room on the top floor if you have a choice. The view is amazing.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Let me start by saying that this hotel is a great choice for the size of the room and the price compared to hotels in Manhattan. We stayed at this location for 7 nights from June 12-19 with our twin teen daughters. Our room was a king suite with a separate bedroom with privacy door and a futon sofa that made into a bed in the living area. For NYC standards, this is a large room. We paid $180 per night which saved us money as we are budget conscious travelers and do not like to spend a fortune on a room that is only used for sleeping.

The positive things about this location include:
*free wi-fi that was fast and reliable
*free breakfast which helped save money
*very convenient for catching the subway
*room was large by NYC standards so we weren't tripping over each other
*2 televisions in the room (1 in private bedroom; 1 in living area)
*2 closets and 2 dressers for storing clothes
*fast elevators
*fast check-in and check-out
*mini refrigerator and microwave (handy for leftovers and snacks)

The negative things about this hotel include:
*no luggage storage room; When we arrived around noon, they wanted us to leave our luggage sitting in the lobby since our room was not ready. There were probably 20 suitcases just sitting right by the check-in desk. They did not have any type of system to verify the owners of the suitcases. We did not feel comfortable just leaving our luggage sitting unattended in the lobby for anyone to just come take while we were out sightseeing. The front desk clerk asked housekeeping to clean our room immediately so we could move our luggage upstairs. It took about an hour, and then we were allowed to check in. There was no way I was going to leave my luggage with computers, jewelry, etc. sitting in the lobby since they had no system at all for monitoring who picked up luggage. I have never stayed at a place that did not have a ticket system for identifying stored luggage in a luggage room or secure location.

*Although this hotel is convenient for catching the subway, it is not a walk I would make alone after dark. Since I was with my husband, I was not scared walking back from the subway although we did see some "questionable" people just loitering on the corner a few nights on our way back to the hotel. Like I said, if I had been traveling alone, I would have taken a cab back to the room. The walk from the subway is 2 blocks, and although there are street lights, it is an area where I did stay very aware of my surroundings and kept looking back over my shoulder as we walked.

*Housekeeping was not up to our standards. One day our room was not cleaned at all. Another day our bed was made but our pillows were on the floor. The housekeeper did not remove our dirty coffee cups or glasses for 2 days, so we had no clean glasses. Each day that housekeeping did come in, they turned off our air conditioning which meant our room was stuffy and smelly each night when we returned. The bathroom had mold, and the baseboards in the room were dirty and dustry. The doors (closet, bathroom, and entry doors) were dirty and looked like they needed to be wiped down with a wet cloth or Clorox wipe.

*Although breakfast was free, there was no variety at all Each day the same things were served (instant oatmeal, bagels, yogurt, cereal, bananas, doughtnuts, bread for toast, waffle station, sausage, circular egg patties with no taste, juice, coffee, water). We stayed at a Country Inn in Minneapolis, and their breakfast buffet was far superior to this one.

*The managers at this location seem to be more focused on saving money than customer service. There was no a/c in the hallways or breakfast area although I did see a/c vents. In the breakfast area they had the windows open, but it was not enough to make the room feel comfortable.

*The "business center" ony had 1 computer which was sitting on a desk by the check-in desk. There was no printer, and if you wanted to print, they charged $1 per page. I have never stayed at a hotel that would charge you to print your boarding passes.

*The view from the front of the hotel has no curbside appeal. There are several large planters near the front door that are empty; no flowers or plants in them, just dirt and a few weeds growing. As you look out the breakfast room and front door, you see a storage lot for wrecked taxi cabs. This property is definitely not located in the scenic part of town.

Would I stay here again? I am not sure at this point. I have contacted the corporate office for Country Inn to let them know this property does not meet the quality I have experienced at other Country Inn locations. Although I was pleased with the size of the room and the price, I was disappointed that this property did not meet the same standards as other Country Inns we have visited. For convenience, the location can't be beat, but if you are a single female traveler, I would not walk the area after dark by yourself.

Room Tip: If you request a king suite, you will not have a view of the city. The front desk told us all king...
Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Second stay in that hotel in 2 years - still was a good choice. :-)
The hotel is really on a great place, next to a gas station (for buying some food), next to the subway (4-5 stops to the city centre).
The rooms are comfortable, spacious, and what important is: clean. You can get even a breakfast in the hotel.. The rooms have fridge, microwave ovens, iron+desk...

The people in the hotel are nice, and helpful.
Have only 2 remarks:
1) we arrived late in the evening, and the room we booked more than half year ago (city view), was not available.. (full house). Although on the second day we recieved "our" room, we were not able to unpack our suitcases, as we knew that we are moving. This can happen anywhere.
But still I expected that I will be offered not to pay a "cityview" room for the 1st night, when I was not sleeping in a room of that category, just to pay some reduced amount.
2) I needed a cab early in the morning (4.AM) to take me to the airport. I asked the man at the reception desk to order me one. As the car arrived, it had no TAXI sign, and it was strange. I suppose it was some friend of the receptionist. :( He told me that the fare will be 25USD. As we were in a hurry and had no time to order an another cab, we had to agree. On the same way BACK from the airport we took a normal taxi, and we paid only 14 USD... So be careful and check what are you paying for...

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the hallway, away from the elevator, are quieter. The most busy is the 1st fl...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Very nice room, clean and good size.
Nice bed as well.
Did not try the breakfast.
A block from the Subway to Manhatten, stay here and save the money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens? Share your experiences!