“Was very very happy here” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 200 Points
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Was very very happy here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

I stayed here 4 nights by myself and had no complaints whatsoever. The staff was courteous, the room was small but that's par for the course in NYC, the location was a 5 minute walk to 3 separate subway stations where it's a 15 minute ride to Times Square. The neighborhood is an industrial/residential but very safe. I walked to and from the hotel and subway several times in the late evening and had no problems nor did I feel uncomfortable. The only suggestion I'd make to make things better is to have a free shuttle service to and from the airport. None of the hotels in the LIC area offer this, nor do the major shuttle services (Supershuttle and Go Airlink) offer this as part of their door to door service. It costs the same for a cab from JFK to the hotel as it does to Midtown!

Overall, I recommend staying here and will definitely stay here again in the future!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

The hotel room lovely - decent size and clean with good facilities - flat screen TV, fridge, coffee maker, ironing board, hairdryer etc. The bed was really comfortable and the room was cleaned daily.

The hotel is in a convenient location all in all - it cost $40 from JFK. We bought a subway pass and walked the couple of blocks to Queensborough Plaza each morning, which was ok- the neighbourhood is quiet with a few corner shops and people wandering about and we felt safe enough. One tip is to make sure you spot the second entrance to the subway- we crossed a main road each day unnecessarily just before the subway bridge and then on the last day saw the second entrance on the side nearest the hotel! It cost $27 each for the pass and took us to all zones we wanted in Manhattan. We opted to get a taxi back of an evening, which was $15 from 59th street.

We really enjoyed the breakfast as it was a treat to have do- nuts every day, which were really tasty! There was a good variety of bagels with different jams and philidelphia, as well as the do-nuts. There is also cereal, toast, sausage meat and egg. The egg was pretty interesting but everything else was nice. There's complimentary tea / coffee / orange as well. I was just really pleased to get a free breakfast to be honest as it's relatively unheard of in NYC! When it was busy (most days) we'd take it to our room and enjoy it there. The other nice thing was taking a coffee out to walk to Queensboro, which the staff were fine with.

The staff were pleasant enough - polite and helpful overall.

We didn't get a decent view, sadly but didn't book directly with the hotel, which is probably why request wasn't granted.

The only real disappointment was no safe in the room, but it wouldn't put us off going back and didn't prove to be a problem.

If you're on a budget I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Benfleet, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

Everything was great until we checked out and found they charged my old credit card rather than the one I wanted them to use. They basically got very agressive and told me 'tough' as I signed something to say it was ok to use that card?! I signed one piece of paper which I assumed was to say I was checking in (the usual when you check into hotels). I actually gave them my new card to take the remaining balance. They then asked for my old card which I also assumed was to check my identity. Clearly not, instead of communicating with me they just used my old card. The girl at the desk barely spoke to me. When we checked out there was also a man there who was almost shouting at me when I tried to complain. Not the sort of service I had expected.
The hotel room itself was fantastic. Very clean. The hotel is about a 10 min walk from the subway which made life easy without having to pay Manhattan prices!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Moscow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

We choosed thise hotel after reading reviews. Seemed Ok so it was so. It is located in uninteresting but quiet place, only 5 minutes walk to the subway station "Queensboro Plaza".
We lived on the third floor and had the "Manhattan view". Room was Ok, bathroom very clean and comfy. Beds were too short, i'm short myself but my feet were hanging in the air.
Hairdryer, iron, coffeemaker, fridge, tv. But no safe box. Also no luggage room at the hotel to leave bags. We and other travelers just put all our stuff in the lobby so it became very hard to get through. Hopefully nothing was stolen or lost. But when we picked our bags nobody cheked if it's ours.
Breakfast was fair for NYC: cerials, omelet, bananas, doughnuts, bagels. We had a tray in the room, came down took everithing we wanted and eat it in the room.
Cost of the stay was best for the quality.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

The reviews I read prior to staying at the hotel were very helpful & correct. We found this location ideal. We flew to JFK & caught the AirTrain to Jamaica ($5) then got our weeks subway metrocard there ($21 - such a bargain!) & got the tube to Queens Plaza. It's then a 5/10 minute walk to the hotel (I printed out a map for the first time we did the walk). You could get a cab but it's pointless as the area is fine to walk in, it's pretty industrial but we felt perfectly safe, even when coming back late at night. I was with my boyfriend though, I probably wouldn't walk alone but that goes for most places.
The hotel is small but new & clean. Yes the breakfast area is small but u can just grab a donut/toast/bagel/banana to go, or take it up to your room if there's not enough space. Free juice/water/hot drinks are always available too.
The staff were fine, not perfect English spoken but this is NY, who cares?! You can use the computer in reception for internet & they let us print out for free. Or there's free wireless (it's unlocked so the whole street must be using it!)
The room was smallish but totally fine, with a decent LCD TV & wardrobe & nice bathroom. The bed was huge & very comfy! I had booked 6 months prior to our trip so was hoping for a room with a view of Manhatten but when I contacted the hotel the week before they said we didn't have one & they were booked up. But it wasn't a big deal as you can see it from the street when you walk out. Would have been nice to wake up to though. Street was a little noisy in the morning but we didn't mind as it got us up! Our room was cleaned daily, even when we slept in past lunch one day, so I don't know how they knew to clean it?! But always made bed & fresh towels & toiletries for when we returned.
On our last day after checking out, the hotel staff let us leave our bags in reception until later on. A lot of people did this, so as long as you take your valubles with you then you can do this, which we found a great help as we weren't flying til that evening.
Overall this hotel suited us perfectly. We liked staying out of Manhattan & it was so much cheaper. The subway gets you anywhere & is so cheap, & cabs are cheap too so you can justify a few of those home too! We walked across Queensborough bridge one morning too which is right near the hotel. Get out & explore NY!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Northwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

We were a little worried about this hotel after reading several reviews, however we should not have been. Went with son and girlfriend (they stayed in one room) and her Mum. 2 double beds in each room not much space but good enough. The hotel location is in a bit of a scruffy down and out area but not so bad we were worried, need to get the subway into New York central and taxi back home about 14$. Rooms were very clean bedding changed every day. Bathrooms very clean good quality soaps etc. Towels were a bit on the older side but plenty and fluffy. Breakfast of bagels, bananas, egg sausage fresh coffee; bit of a free for all and just in the foyer but we took to our rooms and was an excellent start to the day. Wouldn't bother with the gym only 3 pieces of equipment but serviceable for all that. We got up and left each day at 9 to come back 10 ish.
All in all a good hotel for a base to view the wonders of NY.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

We chose this hotel to benefit from the fantastic views of the Manhattan skyline & unbelievably low prices! Our room, c/with king size bed, king size bed, whirlpool bath and satellite TV could not be faulted and rivaled many of the higher graded hotels we frequently stay in. The breakfast area 'is' small, but usually well stocked and you can take your breakfast to your room to start the day slowly, if that doesn't appeal to you - there are plenty of diners around.
The area, is going through a slow process of gentrification but we never once felt unsafe or threatened and by husband, a keen runner with body clock confusion, ran the Queensboro Bridge, at 4.00 a.m! The subway is 10 mins walk away and once you get used to the stops, is a real pleasure to ride. If in doubt, head for Times Square.
One tip - a fabulous way to see Central Park is to hire bikes from the cycle shop near the entrance to the subway - $6/hour. The bikes are excellent quality and ride over the bridge, especially coming back when you can reach ridiculous speeds (!), is wonderful!
A good, basic, hotel run by people who are eager to help - we would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple