“Nice one for those on bugdet” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #19 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
LONDON
“Nice one for those on bugdet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

I went to New York with my husband and we have stayed in New Jersey before. This time we decided to change as the New Jersey transit bus can take ages to come. The Ramada hotel is located in a semi industrial area but I felt safe in the area. The hotel offer complimenary breakfast which is plus for me. The price is very good and it is within walking distance to a couple of metro station. It takes about 10 to 15 min to get into Manhattan. The bedroom is very clean and the bed very comfortable. One of the review said the bedroom is a bit small but what do you expect? A football pitch? Don't expect what you are not paying for. Check in was quick, but if you want to leave your laggage, it is just in the lounge, not secure. At that price in New York, it is excellent for me. You have convenience stores just on the same street, you can hear people in their room when in the hallway but no big deal. You have to be in your coffin not to. Phone calls are expensive from the rooms but they have a phone in the lounge for free local calls. I totally recomment this hotel to anyone whose waching the pennies. The air con is louuuuud. Taxi from La Guardia cost us 15 Dollars and to JFK 35 Dollars. When we stayed in New Jesey (Secaucus) it cost 140 Dollars. The hotel is a plus for me.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

585 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
presidente prudente
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

At first i was concerned about the hotel location, i got there at night and the neighborhood looked weird, but on the next morning i found out it was good, very calm and quiet, and close to 2 subway stations. The staff was very helpfull and the room (a little small) had an amazing comfy bed!! will stay again for sure.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

Great location,10 min away from midtown, front desk staff are not to (GAY) friendly, got some nasty looks from them when we checked in, cleaning staff is a joke( left our room at 11am one day, cleaning staff was in room next to ours, and we were told we would be next,arrived back at 4pm, and guess what, not done. Other then that, no problems...cant beat the price,clean hotel, breakfast is a lil better then average( they beat LaQuinta, and Red roof hands down!!)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Etelä-suomi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

Nice room with a manhattan view, although you must focus your sight on the horizon past Queensborough bridge. If you'll look the view before the brigde you'll find it not so pleasent. Never the less, it's only a few minutes walk to subway station. In daytime the location feels safe, but in the dark we did walk a bit faster than usually from the subway station to the hotel....Despite of the location I'll defenitely will go back next time while visiting New York. Room wasn't very big, the bed took most of the space. But it was cleaned daily, there was a coffeemaker and flat screen tv. So when you'll get back in the evening tired from walking all day, you'll get to relax with hot coffee and catch up the news of the world. Bathroom was clean, it has a shower and tub and a hairdryer.
Breakfast was good enough for me, some bagel and cream cheese with tea or coffee but the dining area was way too small. Only five or six tabels. It was so crowded each morning that we'll eated in our room. Staff was helpfull and nice. Next to reception was one computer in use of the quests for free. Time was limited to 15 minutes. On and all, very good hotel near the manhattan for half of the price you'd have to pay in manhattan. Nicer location would make this hotel superb.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

This hotel is what I would consider a "Diamond in the Rough"

I was very pleasantly surprised with all aspects of it. It's new, clean, had wonderful rooms, and a very helpful staff.

I read what others said about the location. A colleague of mine, lived there years ago and gave me first hand knowledge of the area. Basically, it's an older working class, and light industrial area. With that said, the area does show it's age. I found it to be perfectly safe, and didn't have any problems walking around the area.

The front desk staff was wonderful. They were always more than helpful in assisting me and answering my questions. The hotel is equipped with free wi-fi which is wonderful. There is a computer in the lobby for hotel guests.

The breakfast is nice, but basic. The area in which it is served is tiny. Always more people than area for them to eat. Many people just took what they could up to their rooms.

I must say I was blown away when I stepped into my room. The room was new, clean, and immaculate. The bathroom was equally amazing. The bathroom was done in marble and granite.

Now, the room was SMALL!!! I was traveling with a friend and we had a room with 2 beds. Everything in the room was modern and up to date. All the appliances worked well. The room wasn't tiny, but it was rather small.

The hotel is a short walk from the Queensboro Plaza subway station. It's a short ride into Manhattan.

From La Guardia airport, grab a taxi, it costs around $12-14. When checking out of the hotel, and asking the front desk personnel to call a cab for you. DO NOT LET THEM CALL YOU A LIMOUSINE SERVICE!!!! This was the only thing that I looked at negatively. I went to the front desk and asked them to call a cab for me. I knew the cost back to LGA would be around $12-14. The gentleman behind the counter called for me, then tells me that the cost would be $25.
I said "NO!!" "Why is the cost so high? and that it only costs $12 to get from the airport to the hotel." The guy behind the counter said that it wasn't "NYC Yellow Taxi". It was a Limo company. I just gave him a blank look & said.........."Call me a Yellow Taxi!!"

I booked the room through the Ramada website. Got an excellent rate, and took advantage of the 20% discount. All in all, from booking the room online to my checking out. It was a very pleasant experience. I would recommend this place to everyone.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Prague
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

Our room was in 8th floor, clean, with nice view to Manhattan (building is 10 floors high so it is much higher then all other buildings around). Check-in and out without any problems, nice and quick. There is no restaurant in the hotel, you have to go few blocks to get some food from store, more blocks to find some restaurant. Room equipment is new, TV with plenty of channels for free, no paid hotel mode. Wi-fi is free, uncrypted, so not only notebooks but any palm devices works there without any problems.

Breakfast is served from 6 am which is good for early appointments/sightseeing in Manhattan, which is just few stations away by subway. Quality of breakfast is lower then in comparable hotels in Europe, as there is no restaurant and food is delivered from outside, you have to choose from variety of bagels, donuts, toast bread, butter, jam, and some cereals. You can drink cofee, tea, hot chocolate, and two tastes of juice. There are only 4 tables (16 seats) in the lobby where breakfast is served, which comparing to some 80 rooms seems to me not enough (however sunday at 6:15 and monday at about 7:30 was OK).

It is in proximity (5-7 blocks) of several subway lines, F going to both Manhattan and express to Union Turnpike/Kew Gardens, from where Q10 bus is going to JFK, so you can reach JFK by public transport under 1 hour.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

I am new in tripadvisor and this is my first review.
I think I had a good time in this hotel and I hope to come back soon.
Thanks a lot

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Ramada Long Island City? Share your experiences!