“Front desk staff need inservice” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #18 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Front desk staff need inservice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We are a retired couple from Australia who chose the Ramada Long Island City because it was cheaper than staying on Manhattan. The hotel's facilities are fine. Our room was nice with a very comfortable bed and a view of the NY skyline. Everything was clean and the location was fine. 39th St Subway is nearest, but Queensboro Plaza offers more trains. A problem with our wash basin plug was dealt with promptly and efficiently. We would have rated this hotel highly, but for the attitude of the front desk and lobby staff. On our first morning at breakfast I enquired whether there were any trays as people had to take their breakfast to their rooms. The lady on the front desk replied very curtly without looking at me, "In the room". The next morning when I asked if there were any bananas, the man in the lobby just put his hand up as if to say "Wait" and turned on his heel and walked off. In a few minutes he returned with bananas, ignored me and put the bananas on a plate on the table. Three times during our weeklong stay we returned to the hotel after 3.30pml to find the room had not been serviced. When we complained about this the front desk man told us that we would have to wait until the checked out rooms had been finished and the staff would be working til 6pm. He was very curt and offhand, verging on rudeness. When we said that this wasn't good enough, he very reluctantly agreed to send the maids to service our room. We had this issue all three occasions. We contacted Ramada Corporate and they dealt with the situation very well. The problem is that the people managing the hotel do not appear to understand the culture of dealing with guests in a western hotel. They need in-service from Ramada, so that they learn that abrupt and curt responses to guest's concerns are unaceptable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

591 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Polish first
Philadelphia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed at the Ramada in LIC for three days in June 2013. For the most part the room was decent but the carpet in the room did have a number of stains which wasn't really a big deal because I always wear my flip flops in the room. The reason why I am giving this hotel one star is because of the lack of service and abuse from the staff. On the first day of our stay, the TV started acting funny. I attempted to call the front desk but there was no dial tone so my mother who was also staying at the hotel went down and informed the from desk. The maintenance man fixed it and everything was fine. The next day it happened again, and I did what the maitenance guy did and fixed it. The third day it happened again and I was not able to fix it. Because the phone still wasn't working, my mother called the front desk from her cell phone. 40 minutes went by and no one came to fix it so she went down to the front desk again. While she down there, she asked if we could be compensated with a discount for the trouble that we had with the TV and phone. The front desk woman was very rude and said that it was probably an electrical issue and we could not be compensated. When checking out we asked again about a discount and were told that we messed up the TV but changing the channel. We were also told that we took the wires out of the phone so it wouldn't work. Basically we were accused of breaking everything so that we could get a discount. We were treated very rudely and she threatened to call the police. When we asked for the manager, she said she was the manager and that we should call the corporate line. We have called and are still waiting to here back from them after their investigation. I visit NY often and stay in LIC because it is cheaper than staying in the city but this will was the last time I will stay in this Ramada. The service is horrible here!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I was happy with this choice. Room was clean and modern with view of Manhattan. ten minute walk to subway with kids. about 10 mins on subway to times square. we were happy to walk to hotel at midnight after a broadway show with our 8 and 11 year olds. Felt safe. I liked eating breakfast in my room. Seemed liked the hotel attracted nice guests as everyone was courteous in the small breakfast space. Check in was easy. overall, great choice to save money compared to Manhattan

Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

It was a nice hotel, the rooms were clean and the service was ok. It's not that close from the metro station. When arriving with big bags, a cab is needed. The area for the breakfast is very small, with people eating standing up.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Ramada Long Island City? Share your experiences!