“Nice view, not the best area” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
Oslo, Norway
“Nice view, not the best area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We spent 1 week NYC and it was our first time, but we are satisfied with the trip and hotel... It's close to 2-3 subway stations, have a nice view to Manhattan and personell are so service-oriented and nice with you... They help you as much as they can, and if they can't then they will call someone for you (for free)... Fitness-room wasn't the biggest so don't expect much, but really clean... Rooms were clean and good quality, to be so cheap I was expecting worse but was surprised... So generally I would say try it if you are looking for a cheap hotel that can offer you best for your money!! If I knew about the hotel before I went to New York, then I would choose it again...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a very nice hotel and the staff was very friendly and helpful.I would stay again while in New York and recommend friends and family. I enjoyed the breakfast every morning,the fresh smell of coffee was very inviting.The menu was good but there wasnt much room to sit and eat because of the many guess that was staying there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We spent 5 nights at Ramada Long Island City from Feb 12 to Feb 17. Overall, we had a good experience staying at this hotel. But of course there is no hotel that will satisfy everybody's needs and expectations. Here are some pros and cons we would like to share about this hotel.

Pros:

1. Great price for a King Bed room with Manhattan city view. The room is small but not a problem for us. What we cared more about is having a quiet room to rest and a clean bathroom. The shower in our room was hot and nice. (The bathroom has a nice warm lamp too.) We are also happy that our room has a fridge. (If you stay at a hotel in Manhattan, you probably need to pay for having a fridge.) Free WI-FI Internet definitely made this hotel worth staying (When we checked hotels in Manhattan, most of them charge additional fees for internet.) We are AAA members, so we got another 10% off, which made our room rate only $71/night.

2. The neighborhood where this hotel is located might look shabby but it's basically a quiet neighborhood with some interesting local deli shops around. Also, Walkable distance to two subway stations (F and Q/R lines) that will take you to the heart of Manhattan in 15 minutes!

3. Good complimentary hot breakfast. What else can beat that? The breakfast has eggs (on Sundays it has sausages), bananas, milk, juice, cereal, toasts, bagels, donuts, cream cheese and jams, and coffee.

Cons:

1. The hotel doesn't have water fountain. We had to buy bottled water from grocery stores nearby or at the vending machine at the lobby of the hotel. It'd be nice if they have complimentary drinking water.

2. It is really nice that a budge hotel like this has a fitness room, but don't expect too much about what their fitness room provides. Their fitness room only has a treadmill, a biking machine, and a weight training unit with a "broken" bench. The treadmill and biking machine worked fine, but did the hotel staff notice that the bench of the weight training unit was broken?? (Looks like that they haven't paid much attention to that fitness room.....) I used the fitness room three times during my stay. What bothered me the most is that the room was sort of cold. We reported the cold temperature of the fitness room to the front desk. The man at the front desk said they will sent people to check the room, but nobody showed up. So every time I used the fitness room, it was just cold. I guess it didn't really matter once my body warmed up after exercise. But it'd be nice if they can make their fitness room more friendly to use.

Overall, we still recommend this hotel for the great price and location if you don't want to spend a fortune staying at a hotel in Manhattan.

Room Tip: Get a room with Manhattan's City View.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sanford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The room was A LOT smaller then advertised online. Everything was okay, but one thing that bothered me was the fact that.breakfast is supposed to be complimentary and when i went down stairs for breakfast there was absolutely NOTHING left to eat, only drinks. the breakfast area was completely full and i saw people qith more then plenty on their plates, people had 3 donuts and 2 bagels for just themselves, yet when i asked for just one bagel for breakfast since there was none on the shelf, i was RUDELY told no. not very good business.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

1. Terrible Service
2. Heater in the room broke in the middle of February, when I told front desk they told me they would send someone up. Person never showed. When I went down stairs they said they didnt think we needed someone to look at heater
3. Front desk worker lie to you
4. They allow random people to hang out in lobby for hours at a time
5. 35 cab ride to the city
6. Room are about as small as a Tv Box

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Yes I read the reviews of a good deal and no money could make up for this place!
The staff is rude! The location is dangerous at night. I could not let my fiance and my daughter and her friends even walk to the train(3 blocks away) There were beggars and drunks after dark walking the streets! The breakfast was pathetic. The place is noisy. Do I need to say anymore?

Not to mention that I got 25+ bed bug bites!
The front desk did NOTHING and when I called the management after my stay, they said "Too Bad, you booked with Priceline"
There is no secure area for holding bags, either when we arrived or after we checked out waiting for a flight!

Ramada should be ashamed! How could they even allow this place in their system???

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else! If you need to stay somewhere cheap, save your money and stay somewhere safer, w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
San Antonio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Ramada at Long Island City is kind of a mixed bag. The rooms are fairly modern with comfy beds, decent furniture and clean bathrooms. The price per night is also a bonus when compared to other hotels in New York but that is where the accolades end. When you first get close to the hotel you notice that the neighborhood is run down and dirty. Now don't get me wrong I understand its Long Island but even so a few of the buildings around the hotel are condemned and there seems to always be garbage all over the sidewalks. You have to walk the three or four blocks through this to the Subway which isn't all that far but it's not a pleasant walk. Other guests had reported people hanging around the lobby at all times and I can verify that. Evidently random people come in to use the free Wi-Fi. The lobby itself is rather small and there is only one elevator so if your in a hurry you won't like the wait. Another drawback is the fact that if you get there before check in there is no place to store your luggage so your stuck until then. Over all I wouldn't stay here again as there are other places in Long Island City that are a little more expensive but worth it in comparison to what you get here bu if your on a budget and just need a clean room than this is ok for the price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ramada Long Island City? Share your experiences!