“Obnoxious manager running” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
nyc
“Obnoxious manager running”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This hotel is an average hotel. Our stay was horrible because of its obnoxious manager who does not have manners and does not know how to speak with paying customers. First the guy cancel our reservation without informing us. But when we arrive at the hotel, he did have rooms but charge us a lot more than what we had originally reserved for. He then proceeded to charge extra for services that we never wanted or requested but which he ascribed as security charges. I have stayed at many hotels, I have never been charged for security charges. Instead of talking to us, he barked at us. This guy is an extremely nauseating and obnoxious person with a chip on his shoulder.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Ramada

587 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

When I booked the hotel room I looked at the pictures online and it truly made it seem like the room was bigger than what it actually was. The breakfast is average, the employees from the night shift are not too helpful, and there is no parking. There is parking two blocks away (not associated with the hotel) for $15 per night. Other than that, I feel like the location wasn't too bad. You are only 5-7 minute walk from the train station that takes you everywhere.

Room Tip: Only one elevator, so you can be waiting for 10-15 sometimes.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I think this is my first tripadvisor review. I felt compelled to write one after my experience at the Ramada Long Island City. The location of the hotel is convenient. The block the property is on is not an aesthetically pleasing area, but it is safe and street parking is easy to find if you're like me and prefer to drive into the city. Just make sure you take the time to study the parking signs to properly interpret them.

We stay in Long Island City when we drive to NYC from Virginia. We just park the car during our stays and use the subway to get around. The subways are very conveniently located to the property. The closest station - Queensboro Plaza and about 3 blocks away - has the N, Q, R and 7 lines running through it. Queens Plaza (about another block or two away) has the M, the E and the R lines running through. So it's easy to get to any part of the city from this location.

As for the hotel itself, check-in was a breeze and the hotel staff seemed courteous enough. They do offer a very simplistic continental breakfast which I did not take advantage of during my 3-night stay. The room was small but roomy enough for my wife and I. Very cozy and sufficient for us. The carpeting, furniture and fixtures look relatively new and tastefully chosen. My low rating is due to quality issues with the room and my experience while staying in it.

When we first entered the room, there was a very pungent odor in the are - unlike any hotel I've ever stayed in. Turning the ac/heat unit on did nothing to ameliorate the situation. We checked in at 2 am, so we were too tired to request a different room. Also, we had a city view, so we were afraid of loosing that. The odor eventually subsided about a day later.

Another problem we had with the room was with the ac/heat unit. It was loud and problematic. The cover must have been broken because is shook and rattled like an old truck the entire time we were there. It made sleeping difficult, especially when the unit cycles on. But the main problem we had was during the third night. It was a windy night in NYC and there seemed to be a problem with the seals or weather strips around the window. The window was making this incredibly loud howling sound that at times sounded like a train horn. It was freaking loud and made sleeping very difficult. The only way to stop it was to open the window, but it was in the 30's outside - so that really wasn't a viable option

I recorded a video of the howling and showed it to the front desk staff during check-out. The person on duty insisted that I must have not closed the window properly or that the wind may have been seeping in through the ac/heat unit. No apology offered. He simply refused to accept that there could be an issue with the window. Needless to say, my wife and I did not get enough quality sleep during our stay.

The last issue I had was trying to get a government discount applied to my account. I got bounced around between an Asian call center, a customer relations center and the front desk. In the end, the discount was not applied. In the future we will stay away from this property and we'll make sure that our friends and family stay away as well. As a contracting officer for the federal government, I'll make sure that I don't approve any bookings for stays at this property by our employees or contractors while in NY for business travel. Instead, I'll recommend the Four Points property a block over. My wife and I stayed there last year and loved it.

If considering this property, try to get any room but room 707.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 707 - HVAC unit shakes and rattles - windows howl when it is windy outside.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Not sure why others gave this hotel a bad review, it is a decent hotel. Safe for a female traveler. Clean, comfortable, plenty of toiletries and towels. Everything one needs ;} Next door to cafe's and convenient stores.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Ramada Long Island City? Share your experiences!