“Great value for money, good location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
Prague, Czech Republic
“Great value for money, good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights. The hotel is located in Long Island City which is in Queens, across the East River from Manhattan. The hotel is located within four or five blocks from subway station.
From there, you are only two or three stops from Manhattan depending on the line you take.

The hotel staff was friendly. Room was nice and clean. Breakfast is very basic but coffee to go is a nice touch ;-) Would recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed 6 nights, along with my parents (3 adults total), in this Ramada Inn from Aug 18 - Aug. 25. All I can say is that the hotel provided us with exactly what we needed to enjoy our time in New York. Good value, clean and comfortable rooms (and no funky bad motel smell which is always a big plus for me), a decent view of the Manhattan skyline (even on the 2nd floor), and easy access to all that the Big Apple has to offer.

I read a lot of admonishing reviews here on Tripadvisor regarding the unfriendly staff and the lack of parking. Well based on my experience, these reviews could not be further from the truth.

Case in point:
We arrived late @ night on the 18th (around 11:00pm) and found what seemed to be an ok parking spot right in front of the hotel. But just to be on the safe side, we went inside to reception and asked the staff member at the desk if it was alright. He came outside, looked at where the car was, said it was okay and informatively pointed out the posted sign regarding the street cleaning times. By the way, street cleaning on Crescent Street is only on Mondays between 9:00 - 11:00 and that's it (piece of advice - look for the red and white signs with a little sweep on it).

Parking is free on the street and there wasn't a single day we didn't find a spot within a few steps of the hotel's front doors (even late at night after visiting family in Long Island which we did every day). If you do not find one though, just about 7 min walking distance from the hotel - going towards the train station - is a lot with 24hr parking that costs about $13.00 for the day.

Example 2 of friendly / okay staff: We wanted to print out some tickets from the reception computer and the personnel waived the $1.00 fee per page.

With respect to breakfast, another hotly criticized service of this hotel, yes it's crowded (but I can say that all the guests were calm and respectful), seating is limited, but the bagels, donuts, cups, cream cheese packets, milk, cereal, and juice are replenished during the allotted breakfast hours. If there is anything I would avoid, it's the "eggs" which are the instant kind. Oh and by the way...in case you don't know what "continental breakfast" means...it is usually just bakery items, toast, butter, juice tea, & coffee. And I would heed the advice to make use of the tray in your room and enjoy your breakfast in the room.

With respect to sightseeing, getting to Manhattan couldn't be easier --> when you get out of the hotel, turn right and walk down Crescent Street to Queensboro Plaza Station (you can see it from the street) - no more than 10min. Take the number 7 train to Times Square (about 5 stops or 15 min.) or the N or Q train to Central Park (3 stops - about 10 min.). For $13.00 you can purchase a re-loadable card for 6 trips (and all 3 of us used the one card - just passed it back as we went through the turnstiles - no issues).

Finally the neighbourhood. Yes it's nothing much, but there are signs that it's improving. Right near the Queensboro Plaza station there are luxury rental apartments being built and there is a little cafe offering complete breakfasts for under and around $5.00. There are other reputable hotel chains in the vicinity, also like this Ramada recently established, so I think that attests to the fact that the neighbourhood is safe. We, like others, arrived on foot at night (once a little after midnight) on more than one occasion and didn't feel threatened at any point...in fact we noticed quite a bit of car and human traffic (a lot of tourists) down Crescent at all times during our stay so I wouldn't be overly worried about safety - just take normal precautions.

So that's it. I would stay here again because honestly, a hotel down in Manhattan is quite prohibitive and not necessarily superior in quality or space.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hendersonville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

The Ramada Inn staff is nice and the room is decent sized with a refrigerator, desk and free Wi-Fi. The lobby is small and the breakfast area is too small. It is also a bit "tacky". Other hotels in the area have bigger and better breakfast areas. My husband and I ate out because we didn't want to wait on line for the simple breakfast provided.

The AC unit sounds like a small airplane and the bathroom toilet leaks. The towels look old and dingy. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise but the AC units make that a poor trade off.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Panama City, Panama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The hotel was not bad, good location, staff was friendly, and the room clean. Breakfast area was saturated, not cleaned or replenished often, but it was still quite ok in terms of value.
Unfortunately I have to report a negative experience I had at this hotel. When I checked out I left my cell phone in the room and didn't notice until I got to the airport. I called the front desk immediately, but they said that they hadn't found anything in the room. I asked them to double check since I am positive it was left in the room (it never left the room from the moment I checked in) but nothing turned up. I called the next day hopeful that it would turn up, however, it didn't. Next thing I know, my friends tell me that someone is already using my Blackberry messenger under a different name. I was very dissapointed about this since the staff didn't turn it in to the front desk, and the front desk was not very attentive or proactive in helping me find my phone as soon as I found out it was missing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

The towels seemed to me that they were old. The comforter in the bed smelled disgusting and not to mention how loud the A/C was in the room. If you have a car, there is no parking avaliable and the only parking avaliable is a paid lot which is 3 blocks away and expensive. As value for your money I would rate it good but I still feel that the hotel represents Ramada Brand, and does not live to its reputation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Watertown, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here this past weekend. The hotel was very clean, but the staff was very unfriendly. Also, the breakfast wasnt quite as they made it out to be. It was only a few blocks to the nearest subway, so the location was fine. The rooms were pretty small, but clean and perfect for a place to stay after a long day in the city. My biggest problem was that the room was very noisy, not a whole lot stopping sound from room to room. I.e: being woken up too early because the next room over is leaving and you can hear everything they are saying and everytime the touch the door.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This hotel should receive a blue ribbon for all of its outstanding qualities.
No bed bugs, clean, clean, close to public transportation, short cab ride
to La Guardia, safe at any time of the day or night, good breakfast, great
views of the Manhattan skyline, efficient, friendly, intelligent and knowledgeable staff, best price of any hotel in the NYC area. We can't
say enough about this little jewel of a hotel in Long Island City.

Room Tip: book a corner room with a view of the Manhattan skyline at least on the 5th floor and up
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ramada Long Island City? Share your experiences!