“Great value!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
Atlanta, GA
“Great value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

This hotel was a great value and in a great location. Once you get past the weird green lobby, you will find very clean, comfortable rooms. I needed a place to stay for cheap, last minute, and this hotel exceeded my expectations. Breakfast is included in the morning and it's nothing special but more than adequate with doughnuts, bagels, bread, cereal, and a weird round egg product that tasted pretty good!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
brazil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

We are siblings who stayed at Ramada for 10 days in October. We had a pleasant stay.
There are a number of new properties in Long Island, but Ramada still has the lowest rate for the location. If you can spend more, I would suggest Four Points by Sheraton (a block away), Holiday Inn or Verve Hotel (really close to Subway, 39 ST station) and Country Inn Suites by Carlson.
The main reason why we picked Long Island City is the proximity to LaGuardia airport. The taxi to LaGuardia is fast and it costs about 15 bucks, plus tip.
Ramada hotel is located few blocks to 3 different lines of subway (39th station to N and Q lines is the closest one). You will spend the same time to go to Mid Manhattan as if you were in Financial Center or Chelsea.
Staff was helpful whenever we needed some assistance (we mailed few Amazon stuff and we've received everything with a hotel receipt). But we didn't asked for any help, so we can't tell if they were rude.
Wi-fi had a weak sign (at least in 9th floor). Breakfast was basic, breakfast room (lobby) is really tiny but you may share a table with other guests or take everything to your room (no trays though).
Room is definitely not spacious and you will not want to stay in the room except for sleeping.This is a place to crash, not some hotel for a fancy holiday or honeymoon.
On the bright side, all other amenities worked (iron, coffee maker, refrigerator, hair dryer). There is an microwave oven in public breakfast area.
Towels were changed everyday, linen not. Used glass cups were not changed or washed.
I definitely would go back to this hotel or any other in the area, while it still offers good rates.

Room Tip: There are rooms with City view, but you get more elevator stops and pay higher rates.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

After reading the reviews of this hotel, I decided to book a 2 night stay. Stayed 2 nights September 29, and 30, checked out October 1, 2011. I booked the stay using Ramada's web site, and was able to get a great rate using a Sam's Club member discount code (I am a Sam's Club member - not an employee, just a member). The rate was $87 and change per night - not bad at all. Normal 'rack rate' for this hotel seems to be running around $130.00 per night range. This hotel is located about 4 blocks from the Queensboro Plaza subway station for NYC Subway trains 7, N, and Q. The walk to the subway station is a 10 minute walk for a normal waking pace. A 'brisk' walk will get you there in 7 minutes, and a leisurely stroll about 15 minutes. Subway to times square, approx 15 minute trip. As others have mentioned, it is a neighbor mixed with light industrial and residential apartment buildings. The area didn't appear to be 'seedy' or run down. I had no problems at all walking by myself to and from the subway to the hotel. The latest I was out and about was 1:00 a.m. The N train pulled into the station at 1:00a.m. and I was at the hotel by 1:10a.m. - no problems at all.

I was on the 3rd floor, and I had room 308. I didn't have a Manhattan view, but, I didn't care. The room was very modern, well kept, very clean, and fresh. Also, I did not find any Bed Bugs, or any other critters in this room. The only negative thing I can say about the room, (and it is a very small negative at that), is the room darkening curtains don't come together very well. Same with the room door. Light does shine in around the room door frame. So, if you are one where light bothers you, you might need some eye shades, or maybe a few pins to hold the curtains shut, and some tape for around the door frame. It didn't bother me too much. After all, you are in NYC - once day break hits, you want to be up and around anyway :)

I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to have an affordable alternative to the high prices in Manhattan, and have a nice, clean and comfortable place to stay, with the benefit of having 24 hour access to the NYC subway close by.

I didn't have a car with me this trip. i had my first experience on Amtrak from Richmond Va, to Penn Station NYC - nice train trip. I then used the subway from Penn Station NYC - used the 1, 2, or 3 train at Penn Station - uptown, to Times Square 42nd street, then transferred to the N Q or 7 Queens bound train to Queensboro Plaza subway station in Queens.

So in closing, I would stay at this hotel again in the future for a nice weekend getaway to NYC.

On a side note -- what to do with your luggage if you have a late train or flight? I checked out on Saturday morning, but my train back to Richmond didn't leave Penn Station NYC until 3:00a.m. Sunday. My solution, I used Schwartz Travel and Storage services at 355 W 36th street between 8th and 9th - http://schwartztravel.com/ Their rate is $7 to $10 each bag per day. They close at 11pm, however, if you have a really late train or flight like I did, you can arrange after hours service. I ended up paying $15 for 1 bag, and was able to return to pick up my bag at 1:30 a.m. (after their normal closing time). You just have to arrange this in advance (I asked the lady at the counter, and she was very helpful and suggested the late return time). So, this is a great way to store your stuff so you don't have to lug all your stuff around with you all day after checkout.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

Good value for money, with short travel time to Manhattan(10 min walk to the subway). Hotel facilities are a bit basic, but nothing less then expected in this price range. The neighborhood isn't very exciting, but I guess that's not why you would choose to stay here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Piacenza, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed there for a week in December and I had a nice time. The room was not the biggest I've seen, but it wasn't even small, there was enough space for me. Beds are big and confortable, furniture quite new, wifi for free working fine, clean room and bathroom. It's a 3 stars hotel and it has and I think the rating is correct. I was on the 10th floor and I had a nice view on Manhattan, if you can ask for a room with a city view. The only negative aspect can be that there's not a big room for breakfast, there are only few small tables, but you can take your breakfast in your room. No restaurant either. The area is close to Manhattan, only 6 stops of metro to Times Square. There's nothing to do/see there, there are mainly small factories and private houses. But if you look for a hotel where you just go to sleep and/or rest, that's a great deal because it's cheaper than downtown and not too far away. Considering hotel prices in NYC, I would go to Queens anytime and save some money.

Room Tip: Higher floors with on the city side have a great view on Manhattan
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

Clean rooms. Small rooms but not a deal for us. I agree with others that staff not friendly. Breakfast area small but u can eat in room. It was really worth it for us to stay here while visiting NYC. The train is only four blocks away and easy to get in city. One drawback for handicap is there are no elevators to train platform. We had to carry our stroller up. Otherwise great location w fantastic manhattan views!

• Stayed September 2011
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights.

Ok this is what I liked: very comfortable king size bed for two. Location.

This is what I didn't like: The lift went out of order on our first night there, but thankfully got fixed the next day. The wifi worked on the first day, then died, leaving us without internet till the day of our departure (the front desk unhelpfully mentioned that it will only be fixed on monday - which was our last day anyway, but he did tell us to try the free wifi in another hotel down the road). Shower pressure in the bathroom was very very low which made washing my long hair a pain. Breakfast was ok first day, and then the meagre servings of bagels/cereal/toast kept repeating till we got so sick of it. Breakfast time was also such a squeeze, they only have 4 tables, and a very tight breakfast area so when all the guests come down at almost the same time to eat, you stand a good chance of not being able to get a seat. The front desk and servers are mostly grumpy, and they clear the breakfast promptly even though you are still eating. Here's the most memorable part of my stay: my roommate and I found our lingerie missing, after washing and putting them out to dry the night before in the bathroom. After going through a bit of drama, we finally found our clothes on the window sill behind the curtains. Well, we calmed down and decided that it was a nice gesture on the part of the cleaning person to want to help us to dry our clothes by placing them out to dry on the sill, but honestly - this is the first time in a hotel stay that I've got my clothes moved for me, underwear no less. We had a big shock and was prepared to kick up a major fuss about it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Ramada Long Island City? Share your experiences!