“I would stay again!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
san diego, ca
“I would stay again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

Ok, why come to NYC if you are gonna just stay in your room the whole time? I dont understand the bad reviews.
The good:
The AC worked like a champ, almost too good. The view was nice. The subway was RIGHT THERE, 2 stops away from central park. The staff was awesome and gave us free subway maps and NYC maps. They even called a cab for us on the last morning of our stay. Flat screen TV, and room service was solid. The gym had treadmills with tv's and a pool.
The bad: We only ate at the Hotel on the last night of our stay and the restaurant was understafed, we waited 2 hrs to get in and out. The rooms are kinda small, but for 2, they are fine. No good restaurants close to the hotel, you have to go to Manhattan for that.
The ugly: Well, its Queens, West Queens at that. I never felt scared for my safety while walking to the subway, but needless to say I kept my Queens foot travel to a minimum.
Other than that, the stay was solid, keep in mind...If you want extreme luxury, go spend the extra loot and stay at the Waldorf. If you want a good place to crash after hitting the town hard, look no further.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

This was my first time in New York. My stay at the Holiday Inn in Long Island made up for the location where we stayed. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The rooms were clean. The hotel was convenient to the city and train station. And if you want Excellent food at 3am, ((please)) try Bel Aire Diner Restaurant on 31-91 21st St., (Corner of 21st Street & Broadway) 718-726-3160, GREAT food!!! Friendly staff, open 24 hours.

• Stayed September 2010
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

We had to move our kid to Queens from Boston this past weekend so you can imagine the "fun" weekend. I found this new Holiday Inn a few subway stops from her apartment and the price was right.. Well, it was a great surprise to have a gorgeous large corner room with balcony and sliding door, marble bath, beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable at the end of a very tedious hot day. The N-Q subway is just a half block away, so we took that into Manhattan for a nice dinner. The immediate neighborhood is not appealing for tourism, but a mass transit ride up to Astoria or into Manhattan is a snap. The only reason I gave a low star rating for service is the attitude of the waitress for breakfast in the hotel. We did not have a reservation that included breakfast and I did not mind paying, but those who buy (or get free) continental breakfast get relegated to a few lame tables in the dining room. No place mats, no napkins. Everyone who orders from the menu gets a noticably perfectly set table. The waitress made us move TWICE because we did not want to sit at one of the lame tables. And we were paying! She really had an attitude and it made me irritated as the place was not busy. There were dozens of empty tables here. The front desk staff was lovely. There is a small swimming pool in the basement that we did not use, and we saw a pretty nice fitness center adjacent to it. Parking is very limited and costs extra. We will stay here again when we visit our daughter.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

My boyfriend, best friend and her boyfriend and I all stayed at this hotel back in July. We could not have been more happier with this hotel. I go to new york very often, and I have to say out of all the hotels I have stayed at, this is by far the best one all in all.
The hotel is conveniently located near the 39th st train station(about a 2 min walk) IT takes 5 min to get into the city(amazing). There's a convenience store across the street( severs good cheap breakfast sandwiches). The hotel rooms are spacious with very comfortable beds. depending on what side of the hotel you stay in you can get a nice view of the Manhattan skyline. To sum everything up, this is an amazing hotel for its price and location. The only thing i was upset about was having to pay for parking, I stay at the holiday inn at least 10 times a year and have never in my life had to pay for parking in an outdoor paring lot, but what can you do. For sure I will be back again this year

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Gouda, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

I stayed here last year in august with my girlfriend, it was our first visit to the United States and NYC.

The area is not very special, but the hotel is located only minutes from the 39th Avenue subway station and from there you'll be in Manhattan in 10 minutes. There is a deli across the street, and also a atm and another deli around the corner. We never felt unsafe, not even at night.

The hotel is brandnew, so everything is so clean, and also the bathroom was very nice. And we only had the standardroom wich also had a flatscreen tv with cable, mini fridge, small closet, etc. Clean towels everyday.

Staff was very helpful and nice, the guy at the desk would give us tips of where to go and what to do etcetera. When i had a problem flushing the toilet someone of maintenance was send up right away to fix the problem, superb.

The bed slept very nice, and we heard no noise what so ever during the nights.

I recommend this hotel to everyone who doesn't feel like paying high Mahattan hotel prices but still wants to say in a clean, nice, comfort hotel very close to Manhattan!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

I am actually from New York City and I was at the Manhattan because I was the organizer of my 20 Year High School Reunion. I stayed in the Manhattan View Suite while my other classmates stayed in rooms within the hotel as well. The service was great. The Suite was amazing!!! I truly felt as though I was in another state. The food was top notch! My classmates also enjoyed their stay and were pleasantly surprised. Of course when the visit back to New York this Holiday Inn will be their first choice. Those that live in New York plan come back as well. That's saying ALOT!!! Its already been my choice! Honestly there is no sense to stay in Manhattan anymore, save your money and come to the Holiday Inn in Long Island City.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
West Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Holiday Inn Manhattan View. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful - allowed me to stay an extra 2 hours in my room after check out with no extra charge.
The view from my room wasn't of NYC but when waiting for the elevator on the top floors you get a great view of the city! My room was always spotless, it was very modern and spacious enough for a couple (I had a 1 queen bed room). The bathroom was clean and the shower was really nice. The bed was extremely comfortable and the noise heard from the road was minimal. Lots of closet space and the lounge chair was a nice touch. It was great to have a hair dryer and magnifying mirror in the bathroom. Even though the temperature outside was -3°C (with lots of snow!) my room was always warm enough.
There was a computer with internet for use in the basement which was useful to print out tickets (this was free).
I never had meals there so I can't comment on that aspect but as a whole I cannot fault this hotel.
The location of the hotel is 2 blocks to the subway and seems relatively safe even at night - I walked back alone (a single young female) between 2am and 5am some nights and didn't have any problems (I kept my wits about me though!) It is a 10-15min subway journey to the centre of NYC and the trains are regular.
If I was coming to stay in NYC again I would NOT hesitate to stay here. It is excellent value for money and I have recommended it to many of my friends; only slight issue I had was that it was the pool wasn't open when I stayed there (however I doubt I would have used it even if it was - there's too much going on in NYC to have a swim!)
Thank you for such a lovely stay, hope to see you again soon!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View? Share your experiences!