“You can't go wrong!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Brooklyn, New York
“You can't go wrong!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

I am actually from New York City and I was at the Manhattan because I was the organizer of my 20 Year High School Reunion. I stayed in the Manhattan View Suite while my other classmates stayed in rooms within the hotel as well. The service was great. The Suite was amazing!!! I truly felt as though I was in another state. The food was top notch! My classmates also enjoyed their stay and were pleasantly surprised. Of course when the visit back to New York this Holiday Inn will be their first choice. Those that live in New York plan come back as well. That's saying ALOT!!! Its already been my choice! Honestly there is no sense to stay in Manhattan anymore, save your money and come to the Holiday Inn in Long Island City.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

555 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Polish first
West Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Holiday Inn Manhattan View. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful - allowed me to stay an extra 2 hours in my room after check out with no extra charge.
The view from my room wasn't of NYC but when waiting for the elevator on the top floors you get a great view of the city! My room was always spotless, it was very modern and spacious enough for a couple (I had a 1 queen bed room). The bathroom was clean and the shower was really nice. The bed was extremely comfortable and the noise heard from the road was minimal. Lots of closet space and the lounge chair was a nice touch. It was great to have a hair dryer and magnifying mirror in the bathroom. Even though the temperature outside was -3°C (with lots of snow!) my room was always warm enough.
There was a computer with internet for use in the basement which was useful to print out tickets (this was free).
I never had meals there so I can't comment on that aspect but as a whole I cannot fault this hotel.
The location of the hotel is 2 blocks to the subway and seems relatively safe even at night - I walked back alone (a single young female) between 2am and 5am some nights and didn't have any problems (I kept my wits about me though!) It is a 10-15min subway journey to the centre of NYC and the trains are regular.
If I was coming to stay in NYC again I would NOT hesitate to stay here. It is excellent value for money and I have recommended it to many of my friends; only slight issue I had was that it was the pool wasn't open when I stayed there (however I doubt I would have used it even if it was - there's too much going on in NYC to have a swim!)
Thank you for such a lovely stay, hope to see you again soon!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Redmond, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

The hotel turned out to be all that we expected and more. My wife and I took our teenage granddaughter to NYC and opted to stay at this hotel. We stayed at the hotel for six nights. Most hotels in Manhattan only have 2 double beds. This Holiday Inn has rooms with 2 queens. Our room was on hte 12th floor and we did in fact have a view of the Manhattan skyline. The room was quiet. We could hear the subway but it was not loud. The hotel staff was very courteous.

We arrived from the Newark Airport and took the Airtrain to Penn Station. Taking the subway from there to the hotel required carrying luggage up and down stairs. It was not convenient. We took the cab to Penn Station on the way home ($30 from the hotel). Unless you just have carry on luggage, you will find that hauling luggage up and down stairs through the subway system is not much fun.

The hotel is only a block from the subway and you can't miss it from the subway stop. It is a short trip (2 stops) from the Hotel into Manhattan. We bought one week subway passes ($27) that we used for almost all of our transportation.

There is a convenience store across the street from the hotel where we bought bagels & cream cheese ($1) each morning together with coffee. The store also makes sandwiches and serves some hot food items to go. We had bagels & cream cheese and coffee from the store every day. We also bought sandwiches on one occassion. The food at the store is very good and the staff is very helpful. They sell beer but no wine at the store.

There are several restaurants near the hotel. We ate at two of them. I highly recommend Tokyo II which is under the subway tracks about 1 block from the subway stop near the hotel. Very good sushi! They have an extensive menu that should please everyone. We also ate at Brasil which is a block from the hotel. The hotel is in a Brazilian neighborhood. Brasil is more of a bar than a restaurant but the food is fine and it is fun to go and catch up on your Portuguese. We ate in the hotel's restaurant only once. There was never anyone in the restaurant and the food was just OK.

We did not find the hotel room to be small. The room size was adequate for the three of us. The shower stall in our room was awesome. Rather than just having a tub with a shower, the rooms have big shower stalls. We never heard noise from adjacent rooms.

I would much rather stay at this hotel than at a hotel in Manhattan.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Miami, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

We booked at this hotel for two nights for the weekend of Valentine's Day back when I used to work for the company that manages it. We were pleasantly surprised with how clean and chic the hotel is... it was in fact a REALLLY nice hotel! The rooms were comfortable, the staff was amazing, and you have GOT to check out the hotel restaurant!! The food was excellent, especially the breakfast (almost like a 5-star hotel menu selection!). The only downside it has is its terrible TERRIBLE location, in the middle of the hood. My husband and I walked up and down the surrounding blocks looking for a decent place to eat as we were starving from our flight. Let's just say that all we saw were hoodlums giving us crazy, scary looks. I would suggest you not walk around the hotel, as it is NOT the safest of neighborhoods. It was a pretty expensive cab ride into the city ($30) each time, so next time we will probably stay in the city instead. It was a FANTASTIC hotel, too bad it's located in the worst of the worst of neighborhoods.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
BizTraveler08132009, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, July 6, 2010
Our location is among an up and coming neighborhood. This area is deep in tradition and many of the local home owners are 2nd and 3rd generation. The Long Island City locale is very popular with the local artists. Several new or refurbished buildings are home to artists and their galleries. There are several new businesses in the area, although admittedly there are many buildings under construction or remodeling. You can find ethnic dishes at many Greek, Thai, Hispanic or Indian restaurants within walking distance on 36th Avenue or Broadway Avenue. Our location lends itself well to tourists looking to visit Manhattan, only one block from the N/Q train station and 10-20 minutes to just about anywhere in Manhattan ($2.25 train ticket each way). The subways are safe at any time, day or night. The Long Island City/Astoria neighborhood is one you would find safe, convenient and just where you want to be when visiting the NYC area.
Wilsonville, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

After getting over the sticker shock associated with NYC Hotel prices, we narrowed our choice down to the Holiday Inn Manhattan View. We needed to be in the Soho area as well as Carnegie Hall and we needed a more affordable price than we found in Manhattan hotels for 5 nights lodging. We were pleased with this hotel, its staff, its cleanliness, and the convenience to the subway (2 blocks from the front door). There is a small store across the street and a good deli at the foot of the subway station that we enjoyed. The latest we returned to the hotel each evening was 10 pm and we felt safe walking from the hotel to the subway (We were a group of 2 adults and 2 teenagers). If we return to NYC, we would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Montreal, Qc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

Easy access to the subway. Friendly staff. Very Clean and good rooms.

We parked in the street (we had the window broken and a gps stolen). I suggest you try and park at the hotel. Even though we opted against the hotel parking, the staff tried to help us out with calling the police and putting up a temporary window for the car. In my book, that's going above and beyond.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Albertville, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

Holiday Inn Manhatten View was the best! Great hotel, wonderful staff. The hotel was clean, friendly and a great location. Would definitely recommend it to anyone heading to New York!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View? Share your experiences!