“Best vacation spot!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
texas
“Best vacation spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

This had to be one of the best vacations I have been on in a long time. The location is great for public transportation (1 short block!). The restaurant up the street is wonderful and friendly. The hotel staff ensured that we did not have to want for too much. The pool was not opened up yet, but considering that the hotel is only 2 1/2 months old it is wonderful. We did not get a chance to go to the restaurant in the hotel because we were gone all of the time, but the staff was very knowledgeable of what trains to get to where we wanted to get to. The room was a little tight, but managable. The bathrooms were more than we expected (wish I could have one back home like that!). If there was a downside to the hotel it would have to be the location in the neighborhood. Even though we felt safe and secured the surrounding neighborhood didn't look like this hotel belonged there. We are already planning a trip back this summer and we are going to ensure that we stay at the same hotel!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Polish first
West Orange, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

I purchased this hotel via priceline for $50. To say it was a bargain is an understatement. I'm used to staying at the Laguardia Airport hotels such as the Marriott or Crowne Plaza and this blows them away. Ok, the area isn't great as there is nothing around it and it's quite sketchy and yes they charge $20 for parking in the small 12 space lot. The good news is I found street parking overnight all over the area. Check in was smooth as can be and the super fast elevators took me to the 12th floor room with floor to ceiling windows and a view of NYC. The room was perfect. Flat screen TV, different types of pillows, a new high tech coffee machine, marble bathroom, large glass shower, and countless electrical outlets right where you need them. The bed was extremely comfortable but I just couldn't get over the view! Great hotel and I'm staying there again next week!!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

Had a great stay at the brand new Holiday Inn Manhattan View in Long Island City. This new property is among the first to I had a business meeting in Manhattan and since I was driving, I didn't want to pay up to $50 per night for my oversized vehicle. The lobby is beautiful with lots of glass and marble floor tiles. My room was large for a NYC area hotel, the bathroom had a walk in glass enclosed shower, no tub. I did not get a balcony room, but there are many rooms on the upper floors of this 17 floor hotel with great views of the city. I was able to walk a block to catch a train into Manhattan which was very convenient. It looks like an new hotel is being built next door and the Hotel Verve and a Comfort Inn are nearby. Although this is on the edge of a residential area, I still felt safe walking to the subway and back to my hotel at 8:00 pm. There is a little deli across the street that serves great breakfast sandwiches and coffee for a cheap breakfast.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

This hotel is a great alternative to Manhattan and is located 100m from the 39th Street subway which gets you uptown in 10mins and downtown in about 30mins.

The staff , inc Juan and Tomas were attentive and the rooms seemed large. For a view ask for a room on the 10th floor upwards facing the City, you can lie in bed and look at the Empire, Chrysler and UN Buildings.....best seen at night or dawn/dusk. As its a brand new (Nov 08) hotel the rooms are well furnished with sitting areas, big TVs and fridge/coffee making facilities.

There is a small deli right across from the hotel. The hotel pool is yet to open and the bar remains closed, both are completed and waiting finishing touches. We did not try the restauraunt but the small gym was well equipped.

The local area we we were told is safe but time is best spent in across the water.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

Found this hotel through Priceline for $59.00 a night. The location is not a great neirborhood but safe. It's brand new and the room are spacious as is the bathroom. The resaturant is elegant but, alhtough the service was professional, the inexcusably slow. I was the only patron in the restaurant and order a hamburger and had to wait over a half hour. When I asked the waiter was there a probelm in the kitchen he said no but then nenver apologized for the extremely long wait. I order a rare burger only to have a raw one delivered. If the kitchen can get it together, this is definatelty a place I'd return to . Great gym/pool area. You will not fin dthis kind a spaciousness in NYC so it is worth the 20 minute subway ride to midtown.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

The surrounding area of this hotel may not be that nice, but, for the price, you can't go wrong with this one. The hotel is about a month old so everything is brand new and the staff go out of their way to make their customers happy. The hotel looks like a condo and though the view isn't really spectacular, it was good enough for the purpose of my stay. The design of this hotel both inside and outside is very modern. It is also quite accessible by subway (N,W) about a block or so from the 39th avenue station. which is about 15 minutes to midtown manhattan.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View? Share your experiences!