“Good Value hotel in downtown Queens” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
London, United Kingdom
“Good Value hotel in downtown Queens”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

As we had this hotel booked by a friend who is a tour agent, we had a free upgrade to a suite.
We stayed in the 'Queens Suite' on the Penthouse floor 17.
Lovely large room with loung area.

Service was so so.
Reception was usually run by 1 or 2 staff, and it was always busy with a queue.
No safe in room ! Even a penthouse suite ... very poor. I then went to reception with some items I required for safe storage and even the safe in reception is ONLY for documents, nothing more.
They said they would store it in their office for safe keeping. A day later I wanted my items back and it took them nearly 10 minutes to find it !! Used a locked suitcase from then on.

When it was windy outside, there was an awful howling wind noise which was so loud it kept me up for 2 nights (never got to the bottom of the cause), but I never reported it as it was a free upgrade and we were only staying for 3 nights anyway. lovely view from balcony though !

Breakfast was ok, very basic, some seemingly stale foods such as bagels / cakes ... definately not fresh that day. Hot offerings were very poor. Minimal cereal, mainly small packets for kids.

We did try lunch there one day which was a BBQ meal and the spread for lunch was fab and the BBQ foods being brought to the table were yummy !

Improve your breakfast offerings and I might up the ratings, but I was very unhappy with what there was on offer. Restaurant staff always seemed a little rushed off their feet and not that attentive.

Hotel is near to a subway, but otherwise, the location is pretty poor, but then that part of Queens is like that.

Overall, good value for an average hotel.
Would I stay here again in Queens, no.

Room Tip: Queens suite is very noisy when it is windy. No lock on patio door, but then again, you are on the...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear David,

Thank you for giving us a try and giving us your feedback. We apologize the stay could not have been better. Our staff try very hard to assist each and every guest expeditiously however we appreciated your patience with us. Glad to hear that the lunch served you well and we will certainly pass on your feedback concerning breakfast to the restaurant management. This area continues to improve with several hotels and residential properties developing as well as restaurants and convenience stores opening. We really appreciate your understanding and apologize for any inconveniences again. We do hope your 3rd visit to the USA will be better. Please feel free to contact us if we can offer a better experience for your next visit.

Travel Safely!

Kindest Regards,

540 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We would recommend this hotel as it is comfortable and close to Manhattan - approximately 15 minutes by getting the N subway train.

Our room was spacious and we had a good view of the Upper Manhattan skyline from the eighth floor. Hint - if you have the option try and get higher - we went up to the fifteenth floor and had a much better view compared with our view which was partially blocked by a derelict building. Housekeeping was immaculate.

Regarding the restaurant, this was lacking in the usual atmosphere we expect from Holiday Inn and we didn't use it after the first night.

The breakfast buffet was very good and well managed (didn't catch the manager's name). Also, the waiter Jose went beyond the call of duty and was very attentive and friendly and always keen to ensure diners had the best experience.

We had an issue with our door keys not working for several days when we returned to the hotel. This took a couple of days to resolve. It was suggested by the desk staff that this was caused by stores' security but we were never quite convinced by this.

Front desk staff were generally very helpful. We would single out Milo who was very helpful to us even printing out our boarding cards when the printer downstairs was out of action. At check out, another very efficient and friendly colleague (didn't catch his name) helped us store our baggage until we needed to leave for our flight, enabling us to have a last short trip into the city.

All in all we would definitely stay here again as it was good value, very close to the subway, and had reasonable view of Manhattan.

Room Tip: The higher the better for the view
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our property! I will certainly share this review with my Associates and congratulate them on making an impression as well providing good service to our guests! I appreciate you sharing the convenience you have to NYC from our hotel it really has its perks. While we are sorry to hear about the Restaurant atmosphere and the key cards, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return next time. If I can be any further assistance please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you for providing helpful tips for our future guests. We appreciate your time and feedback!

Appreciatively,
Richmond, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

This hotel was a good value. It’s located a block away from the 39th Street Station in Queens. Manhattan is a few stops away. I reserved and got a Manhattan View room with a queen bed and a balcony. I also arrived early in the morning and they stored my luggage until the room was available.
Pros:
• Lower room pricing compared to Manhattan hotels and near public transportation.
• Spacious room with nice view of Manhattan, spacious balcony, quiet when balcony door is closed. This was important since the trains can clearly be heard practically every 5 minutes or so. Mini-fridge and coffee maker available in room. The room was spacious enough that I thought it should have had an extra side table next to the corner chair.
• Comfortable bed with clean sheets and pillows.
• When I travel, I usually go to the hotel’s fitness center to refill my empty water bottle as they often have a water cooler or filtered water available. The fitness center here had a mini-fridge stocked with bottled water instead.

There were no cons, but I did observe some questionable practices with the housekeeping staff:
• Cigarette butts were accumulated in one corner of the balcony outside. Housekeeping probably doesn't even clean the balcony unless requested. I asked and they took away the butts.
• Tray holding ice bucket and cups were stored in the bathroom, which in my opinion is not very sanitary considering the ice might be contaminated by handling the bucket.
• The carpet had tiny specks of white stuff when I first entered. I suspect the room was not thoroughly vacuumed. I requested a thorough vacuum the next morning and noticed that the specks were gone when I got back later in the day. However, I happened to eat a very flaky pastry that evening. Many of the flakes fell to the carpet under me. Those flakes remained where they were throughout my stay (five nights). This proves they don’t vacuum every day, and I wonder if they do it at all or only upon request. I didn't bring this issue to the management because I doubt they care enough to do daily inspections.
• While the bathroom was cleaned up every day, they did not clean the mirror, which I speckled once while flossing. Again, I didn't bring this issue up with management.
• On the first morning, I hung up my towel on the rack to conserve resources (as the signs mention), but when I got back, although the towel was still there, there was no replacement bathmat. I ended up trying to fight the battle and set all my towels on the floor in the morning to be replaced every day. There were no problems on that front for the rest of my stay.
• I used the wrapped disposable plastic cups that were available in the room. They were taken every day, but now new cups were made available. On the day before I checked out, I needed to request that the cups be replenished.
• Finally, the thermostat to the air conditioner was wonky. Now days, as a cost-savings measure, hotel thermostats have motion sensors so they do not cool the room when the room is unoccupied. The thermostat in my room would re-set to 65 degrees and blast air if the air conditioner was off and then movement was sensed. This often happened when I was in bed and very still, then shifted or got up to use the bathroom. I started turning off the air conditioner completely, but it would still happen. Not a big deal, but very annoying.

While it’s not the best Holiday Inn hotel I have been to, I have been to worse, so I’m not complaining, I’m happy to settle for just okay. I would have no problem returning to this hotel on future visits to New York.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Let me take this opportunity to thank you for a great review! While we shined in some areas, we still have some work to do in others. With most of the housekeeping service flaws are not excusable, thee items will be addressed and actions to improve daily occupied services will be the focus. We do not check every occupied service rooms daily. This is not exemplary of the service of our hotel and apologize for the lack of detail. The HVAC system is motion detected and this feature can be disabled at any time if requested. While I understand you did not want to mention to management these concerns, please do so that we can address the items by knowing who the guest is and the room number. I would like the opportunity to contact you and get some more information on your stay. Please contact me at 718-707-3700 or rbianchi@himanview.com. If your stay is not 100% satisfied you will not have to pay for the part of it! That's our hospitality promise. I look forward to your response.

Thank you for you time and candid feedback! We want to thank you for staying with us again!

Pickering, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

The hotel was very nice and up-to-date. The first room we stayed in had a very annoying noise coming from the ceiling. When we mentioned it to the front desk, they sent someone right away to check on it. When they couldn't find a solution for the noise, they immediately got us another room.The staff were also very friendly and helpful when it came to airport rides, general information and fixing the internet server.

As for the room, the single queen was pretty small but I didn't mind for we spent most of the day in the city. The washrooms were nice and clean and the bed was decently comfy. The only thing we wish we had was a fridge so we could store our water and left over food. Not sure if all the rooms don't have a fridge, but they all should in my opinion!

Other than that, a pretty good experience with this hotel. My boyfriend and I chose this hotel because it was very close to the 39th Av subway station on the N/Q line. It was a nice short walk, and only a couple stops away from Manhattan! Very convenient for exploring the city :)

Room Tip: - Check the amenities for they may vary per room - $25 flat rate from the hotel to LGA when you ord...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Natalie,

Great tip on the taxi ride from LGA! Yes very convenient to subway and Manhattan. Thank you for the wonderful feedback about the hotel and restaurant. It's really important that our team helped you find a suitable accommodation and swiftly at that. We want to wish you a happy and safe summer and again thank you for choosing to stay with us!

Appreciatively,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

We stayed for 6 nights in this hotel in april 2014. It is a good hotel, nice big rooms, clean, friendly staff. The bed was very good. Nice vieuw to the skyline of Manhattan. We had a room with an extra door to another room for a familyroom. We could hear our neighbours very good and lout. We did a complain at the reception, it seems that this has helped. The icemachine on the hallway, next to our door, was making a lot of sound, really hard. It stops after 9.00 pm but starts again early in the morning. Close to the subway, 5 minutes walk or less. From the subway station you will be in 10 minutes in Manhattan. The beeakfast was good but i misses some cheese or ham. The staff of the breakfast was very friendly and helpfull. Tip....do eat the brazzilian barbecue buffet in the hotel! Very good!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Allewijn,

Thank you again for staying with us and appreciate the great feedback! Glad to see you felt comfortable and were able to enjoy the hotel restaurant. I will certainly pass on the kind feedback. I'm sure your neighbors were having quite the time but again your comfort is more important. Yes our ice machines are on timers not inconvenience guests over night so glad to hear the went off at the scheduled time. Hotel convenient and subway down the street are easy to get as you explained. Till the next time you visit our great city....

Dank u en veilig reizen
Blakeslee, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I decided to stay here on a recommendation. The hotel has a restaurant, which due to my late checkin i was unable to take advantage of. While the room was adequate, there was a problem with the cooling system. I was unable to get a good nights rest because the room was too warm. When i informed the front desk clerk she made an uninformed excuse regarding the cooling system. I was glad that I had to stay there for only one night.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Pat,

Thank you for you time and feedback of our hotel. While we had hoped you would have a perfect stay, I'm sorry to hear about the cooling system. I wasn't aware upon your departure that we had a problem however I want you to be assured the issue has corrected itself. Please feel free to contact me directly Pat on your next visit at rbianchi@himanview.com or 718-707-3700. You should not have to pay for that part of the stay. Again, I apologize!

Piraeus, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

The hotel is perfectly located for visiting New York, just one block from a Metro station that brings you within 5-7 to Times Square. The rooms are big, clean and well equiped. Over the 9th floor they offer a impresive view of the Manhattan skyline, so be sure to ask for that. The front desk staff is extemely friendly and helpful. They will give you sound infomation on anything you might need, from tourist attractions and airport transportation to the location of the nearest Greek Orthodox Church. My thanks to Elisabeth for her good advice and excellent service. The only negative point for me was the location of the dinning room. The fare it serves could also be improved. Thankfully, just across the street there is a great little bar-restaurant and a good neighborhood convenience store that covers most needs. All in all, a great stay!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time and feedback! Its not every guest who takes the time to offer great advice and highlight the staff as you did. I will certainly pass on your message to our respective teams. Elizabeth and her team are the best in offering local tips about queens. We are sorry the fare in the restaurant was not up to your expectations ans hope the next time you have a better one!

We want to wish you safe travels back to the Mediterranean........

Warm Regards,

Been to Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View? Share your experiences!