“Perfect hotel close to Manhattan” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30% this Summer
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Perfect hotel close to Manhattan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

We stayed for 6 nights in this hotel in april 2014. It is a good hotel, nice big rooms, clean, friendly staff. The bed was very good. Nice vieuw to the skyline of Manhattan. We had a room with an extra door to another room for a familyroom. We could hear our neighbours very good and lout. We did a complain at the reception, it seems that this has helped. The icemachine on the hallway, next to our door, was making a lot of sound, really hard. It stops after 9.00 pm but starts again early in the morning. Close to the subway, 5 minutes walk or less. From the subway station you will be in 10 minutes in Manhattan. The beeakfast was good but i misses some cheese or ham. The staff of the breakfast was very friendly and helpfull. Tip....do eat the brazzilian barbecue buffet in the hotel! Very good!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Allewijn,

Thank you again for staying with us and appreciate the great feedback! Glad to see you felt comfortable and were able to enjoy the hotel restaurant. I will certainly pass on the kind feedback. I'm sure your neighbors were having quite the time but again your comfort is more important. Yes our ice machines are on timers not inconvenience guests over night so glad to hear the went off at the scheduled time. Hotel convenient and subway down the street are easy to get as you explained. Till the next time you visit our great city....

Dank u en veilig reizen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Polish first
Blakeslee, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I decided to stay here on a recommendation. The hotel has a restaurant, which due to my late checkin i was unable to take advantage of. While the room was adequate, there was a problem with the cooling system. I was unable to get a good nights rest because the room was too warm. When i informed the front desk clerk she made an uninformed excuse regarding the cooling system. I was glad that I had to stay there for only one night.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Pat,

Thank you for you time and feedback of our hotel. While we had hoped you would have a perfect stay, I'm sorry to hear about the cooling system. I wasn't aware upon your departure that we had a problem however I want you to be assured the issue has corrected itself. Please feel free to contact me directly Pat on your next visit at rbianchi@himanview.com or 718-707-3700. You should not have to pay for that part of the stay. Again, I apologize!

Piraeus, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

The hotel is perfectly located for visiting New York, just one block from a Metro station that brings you within 5-7 to Times Square. The rooms are big, clean and well equiped. Over the 9th floor they offer a impresive view of the Manhattan skyline, so be sure to ask for that. The front desk staff is extemely friendly and helpful. They will give you sound infomation on anything you might need, from tourist attractions and airport transportation to the location of the nearest Greek Orthodox Church. My thanks to Elisabeth for her good advice and excellent service. The only negative point for me was the location of the dinning room. The fare it serves could also be improved. Thankfully, just across the street there is a great little bar-restaurant and a good neighborhood convenience store that covers most needs. All in all, a great stay!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time and feedback! Its not every guest who takes the time to offer great advice and highlight the staff as you did. I will certainly pass on your message to our respective teams. Elizabeth and her team are the best in offering local tips about queens. We are sorry the fare in the restaurant was not up to your expectations ans hope the next time you have a better one!

We want to wish you safe travels back to the Mediterranean........

Warm Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We stayed here on a recent trip to NY. Being first timers, I was worried about how to navigate around NYC and whether the subway would be close enough to the hotel. We took the N or Q line every time we visited the city. We bought the unlimited pass which was good for 7-days for $31 a person. With how timely and easily accessible the metro is, this is an awesome deal. The subway is literally a 3 minute walk from the hotel. We traveled between 9 am - 12:30 pm at night and never had a problem with the location or feared for our safety at all.

The hotel itself was what you would normally expect from a HIEx. Clean, comfortable and friendly staff. Rambo at the front counter was awesome during our check in. She was very friendly and offered as much help as she possibly could. My wife had some other interactions from other staff members during our stay, and all were very friendly. Housekeeping on our floor was also extremely friendly, so if management is reading this let them know they do a great job!

Just across the street there is a little deli/convenience store and just one street up there is an awesome Chinese restaurant that also delivers.

All in all, I really don't see any negatives to staying at this hotel. The location is great and if you don't mind a 10 minute ride into the city then book here. It's so close, I believe the Central park stop is maybe 10 minutes away and the times square stop is 15 or so.

TIPS for first timers to new york.....
-Buy the unlimited pass on the metro, its worth it.
-If you have google maps on your phone, it will help you navigate the subway system. Switch it to show public transit and it will route you, including what stops to get off for transfers and approximately how long the travel will take. Seriously, this saved our lives on this trip and made navigation so easy.
-I was surprised that most food delivery ends by 9, even on the weekends. So bring food back with you from the city as there isn't much near the hotel.

We loved our trip and if we come back anytime soon, we willstay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

The Management is reading these and thank you for mentioning your interactions with the staff as well as the brand expectations. We are very lucky to have you as our guest. Your review about the convenience and location are well detailed and the local tips are great for travelers looking to come to NYC. We hope you return down the road and please continue to let everyone know you $$$$ Save Money and Stay There............

Kindest Regards,
greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Very pleasant accommodations and the most accommodating staff I've seen in quite a while. Melkis at the front desk is just about the best hotel employee I've ever seen. And when I needed a late check out, I got one that was perfect for me. Unusually helpful.

The pool has been closed and they said that they've notified everyone many times but it is still listed as open.

Great shower and water pressure, nice public spaces. No mini fridge in the room and no robes but otherwise very nice.

Room Tip: The "10" line is the smallest room. Since I was travelling alone, I had no problem with i...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Mimika,

Wonderful feedback and thank you for mentioning our Melkis! Melkis truly exhibits geniune service is our local expert! Although you mentioned not having a small fridge. We have mini fridges upon request. They're not is all rooms. I apologize but next time if your room is not equipped with one, please request one. Thank you again for staying with us!

Σας ευχαριστώ και σας δούμε σύντομα!
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I stayed at this Holiday Inn in April for my cousin's wedding. I was there for a total of 6 days. If you're looking for a great place to stay and close to the city without breaking the bank....then this is it! The front desk staff at this hotel was awesome! (except for one young lady, I can't remember her name) Every other staff person we encountered were all extremely friendly.
Front desk staff answered numerous questions from me, as this was my first time in New York City, with complete patience and knowledge. They never steered us wrong. They also arranged cars for us twice. Once to get to our play downtown and once to get to the airport. Both private cars that picked us up were reasonably priced at only $25 each way. I think a bargain for New York. Both drivers were professional and friendly and got us to our destinations quickly.

The 39th street subway stop is 1 block away and very easy to hop on either the Q, N or R lines. Located only 5 stops from Central Park, and 6 or 7 stops from Times Square. The subway was very easy to navigate and actually a lot of fun!

Our room was located on the 15th floor, we had a HUGE room. All our family that saw our room wondered how we got such a big one. The view from our room was excellent! Yes, this hotel is located in an industrial area but how much time do you really spend at your hotel when in New York? The room was very clean. The bathroom was quite large. Housekeeping was excellent.

They do have a restaurant located on property. We had breakfast coupons included in our price so we had the breakfast buffet everyday. The main lady who runs the breakfast area was awesome! She worked so hard, but it did appear that they were short staffed. I felt bad for her as we had a large crowd staying there for the wedding. The food was good and they constantly refreshed all buffet items.

We also had dinner there 2 evenings. The servers were excellent and very professional! It was quite busy each time we were there and the food was just OK. I'm a big foodie and cook most everything from scratch. I got the raviolis and could tell they were frozen. That was disappointing. Also, got the Chicken Marsala with veggies and baked potato. The Chicken Marsala was good.

One thing I do think they could improve on is the business center. I appreciate the fact that they had one but the location of it was a little bothersome. It is located directly underneath a glass staircase and just across from the restaurant. I had to order and print our tickets for the 9/11 memorial. I had to type in my credit card number to pay and had to cover the screen with my hand to prevent anyone who could have been standing behind me from seeing my credit card number which was clearly displayed on the screen while I was typing it in.

My mom and I felt very safe in the neighborhood. They also have a little convenient store just across the street for any items you may have forgotten or snacks for your room.They also have a great little bar/restaurant just across the street which serves locally brewed beers, a giant plus for me! The food at that bar was great.

Overall: I would stay here at this Holiday Inn again and would totally recommend it to anyone who wants to visit New York and still have money to spend on other things. I wish I could have given 4 1/2 stars.The only reason I give it 4 stars and not 5.....the business center location and the good but not great food.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear CraftyKling,

I really appreciate your wonderful feeback. I have taken your request concerning the business and began prepartions to partion the area off for more security. We thank you fo chooing to stay with us and to mention our properties benefits. Thank you for recommending us and please let us know the next time your visit.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

There are several things you should know about this hotel before staying here that will make your experience with Holiday Inn a decent one:
1. Know to who talk to: Most of the guys at the front desk were extremely helpful and nice (especially for NYC). Benjamin was my favorite and went out of his way to help me out (gave me change for a drink and a parking pass.Most of the women clerks, however, were not polite and kind of rude.
2. PARKING IS A B.I.T.C.H!! It's located in an small, urban area in queens, and they only have 15 parking spaces available for the whole hotel!! So if u arrive late on the day your suppossed to check in, you will be screwed. Try to make friends with a front desk worker to get a yellow parking permit pass, or else you will end up driving around for a few hours looking for street parking.
3. STAY ON THE FLOORS 10 OR HIGHER. Below floor 10, your Manhattan view is partial blocked by a stupid boutique hotel called the Nesva and also by the 4points Sheraton to the North. I stayed on the 8th floor, so I only got to see 1/3 of the Queensboro bridge and NO Empire State or Chrysler.
4. BRAZILLIAN STEAKHOUSE FOR 20 DOLLARS IS A MUST DO!!! The hidden gem to this hotel is it's food. The Rio Grande is a Brazillian steakhouse in the basement of this hotel, and it's amazing! For 20 bucks, you can eat unlimited Brazilian meats and a buffet!
5. Get the Breakfast option for an extra 15 dollars/day added to your meal: It's a decent breakfast--scrambled eggs, sausage, hash browns, bacon, and french toast and juice. Just what you need to start your morning.
6. THE BAR AREA IS SMALL, BUT HAPPENING ON THE WEEKENDS: A great place to get a drink or two to start the night.
7. SKETCHY AREA AT NIGHT: If you're a female and going out alone, be very careful in this area. Try to get the hotel to call for a cab to the subway or into the city. During the daytime, you can get by with walking to the N,Q lines, or 7 trains, which are close by.
8. No Ice Machine or Water: Have to get water from a vending machine, and the price of a regular water is 2 dollars.
9. Shower Door leaks Water outside onto bathroom floor: Poor design, so you have to put multiple towels down.
10. Excellent Bedding, but annoying maids: Pillows were soft and sheets were nice, but maids come way too early (like 10AM) to clean rooms and return often, so remember to keep your Do NOT Disturb sign in the key lock.

Hope this review helps. Overall, I had a decent stay here. For NYC (which I from, BTW), it surprisingly had pleasant front desk workers and great food. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time and feeback! Now that is a top ten if I say so myself! A great and informative review with nothing more than the facts. I wish to aplogize about the items you encountered especially 10, 9 and 8; Parking is limited, Ice Machines are only on certain floors, and shower door leak. You will see that everyone at the hote,l not just some are very helpfu, i

While going through your countdown I couldn't help but end up at "I will stay here again".

Thank you again and please contact me at rbianchi@himanview.com for future reservations so I can personally welcome you back!

Travel Safely!