“Nice staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
greece
“Nice staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Very pleasant accommodations and the most accommodating staff I've seen in quite a while. Melkis at the front desk is just about the best hotel employee I've ever seen. And when I needed a late check out, I got one that was perfect for me. Unusually helpful.

The pool has been closed and they said that they've notified everyone many times but it is still listed as open.

Great shower and water pressure, nice public spaces. No mini fridge in the room and no robes but otherwise very nice.

Room Tip: The "10" line is the smallest room. Since I was travelling alone, I had no problem with i...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Mimika,

Wonderful feedback and thank you for mentioning our Melkis! Melkis truly exhibits geniune service is our local expert! Although you mentioned not having a small fridge. We have mini fridges upon request. They're not is all rooms. I apologize but next time if your room is not equipped with one, please request one. Thank you again for staying with us!

Σας ευχαριστώ και σας δούμε σύντομα!

540 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I stayed at this Holiday Inn in April for my cousin's wedding. I was there for a total of 6 days. If you're looking for a great place to stay and close to the city without breaking the bank....then this is it! The front desk staff at this hotel was awesome! (except for one young lady, I can't remember her name) Every other staff person we encountered were all extremely friendly.
Front desk staff answered numerous questions from me, as this was my first time in New York City, with complete patience and knowledge. They never steered us wrong. They also arranged cars for us twice. Once to get to our play downtown and once to get to the airport. Both private cars that picked us up were reasonably priced at only $25 each way. I think a bargain for New York. Both drivers were professional and friendly and got us to our destinations quickly.

The 39th street subway stop is 1 block away and very easy to hop on either the Q, N or R lines. Located only 5 stops from Central Park, and 6 or 7 stops from Times Square. The subway was very easy to navigate and actually a lot of fun!

Our room was located on the 15th floor, we had a HUGE room. All our family that saw our room wondered how we got such a big one. The view from our room was excellent! Yes, this hotel is located in an industrial area but how much time do you really spend at your hotel when in New York? The room was very clean. The bathroom was quite large. Housekeeping was excellent.

They do have a restaurant located on property. We had breakfast coupons included in our price so we had the breakfast buffet everyday. The main lady who runs the breakfast area was awesome! She worked so hard, but it did appear that they were short staffed. I felt bad for her as we had a large crowd staying there for the wedding. The food was good and they constantly refreshed all buffet items.

We also had dinner there 2 evenings. The servers were excellent and very professional! It was quite busy each time we were there and the food was just OK. I'm a big foodie and cook most everything from scratch. I got the raviolis and could tell they were frozen. That was disappointing. Also, got the Chicken Marsala with veggies and baked potato. The Chicken Marsala was good.

One thing I do think they could improve on is the business center. I appreciate the fact that they had one but the location of it was a little bothersome. It is located directly underneath a glass staircase and just across from the restaurant. I had to order and print our tickets for the 9/11 memorial. I had to type in my credit card number to pay and had to cover the screen with my hand to prevent anyone who could have been standing behind me from seeing my credit card number which was clearly displayed on the screen while I was typing it in.

My mom and I felt very safe in the neighborhood. They also have a little convenient store just across the street for any items you may have forgotten or snacks for your room.They also have a great little bar/restaurant just across the street which serves locally brewed beers, a giant plus for me! The food at that bar was great.

Overall: I would stay here at this Holiday Inn again and would totally recommend it to anyone who wants to visit New York and still have money to spend on other things. I wish I could have given 4 1/2 stars.The only reason I give it 4 stars and not 5.....the business center location and the good but not great food.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear CraftyKling,

I really appreciate your wonderful feeback. I have taken your request concerning the business and began prepartions to partion the area off for more security. We thank you fo chooing to stay with us and to mention our properties benefits. Thank you for recommending us and please let us know the next time your visit.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

There are several things you should know about this hotel before staying here that will make your experience with Holiday Inn a decent one:
1. Know to who talk to: Most of the guys at the front desk were extremely helpful and nice (especially for NYC). Benjamin was my favorite and went out of his way to help me out (gave me change for a drink and a parking pass.Most of the women clerks, however, were not polite and kind of rude.
2. PARKING IS A B.I.T.C.H!! It's located in an small, urban area in queens, and they only have 15 parking spaces available for the whole hotel!! So if u arrive late on the day your suppossed to check in, you will be screwed. Try to make friends with a front desk worker to get a yellow parking permit pass, or else you will end up driving around for a few hours looking for street parking.
3. STAY ON THE FLOORS 10 OR HIGHER. Below floor 10, your Manhattan view is partial blocked by a stupid boutique hotel called the Nesva and also by the 4points Sheraton to the North. I stayed on the 8th floor, so I only got to see 1/3 of the Queensboro bridge and NO Empire State or Chrysler.
4. BRAZILLIAN STEAKHOUSE FOR 20 DOLLARS IS A MUST DO!!! The hidden gem to this hotel is it's food. The Rio Grande is a Brazillian steakhouse in the basement of this hotel, and it's amazing! For 20 bucks, you can eat unlimited Brazilian meats and a buffet!
5. Get the Breakfast option for an extra 15 dollars/day added to your meal: It's a decent breakfast--scrambled eggs, sausage, hash browns, bacon, and french toast and juice. Just what you need to start your morning.
6. THE BAR AREA IS SMALL, BUT HAPPENING ON THE WEEKENDS: A great place to get a drink or two to start the night.
7. SKETCHY AREA AT NIGHT: If you're a female and going out alone, be very careful in this area. Try to get the hotel to call for a cab to the subway or into the city. During the daytime, you can get by with walking to the N,Q lines, or 7 trains, which are close by.
8. No Ice Machine or Water: Have to get water from a vending machine, and the price of a regular water is 2 dollars.
9. Shower Door leaks Water outside onto bathroom floor: Poor design, so you have to put multiple towels down.
10. Excellent Bedding, but annoying maids: Pillows were soft and sheets were nice, but maids come way too early (like 10AM) to clean rooms and return often, so remember to keep your Do NOT Disturb sign in the key lock.

Hope this review helps. Overall, I had a decent stay here. For NYC (which I from, BTW), it surprisingly had pleasant front desk workers and great food. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time and feeback! Now that is a top ten if I say so myself! A great and informative review with nothing more than the facts. I wish to aplogize about the items you encountered especially 10, 9 and 8; Parking is limited, Ice Machines are only on certain floors, and shower door leak. You will see that everyone at the hote,l not just some are very helpfu, i

While going through your countdown I couldn't help but end up at "I will stay here again".

Thank you again and please contact me at rbianchi@himanview.com for future reservations so I can personally welcome you back!

Travel Safely!
Halifax, NS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Booked this room via Priceline at a great rate. Upon arrival, the front desk clerk was very helpful in point out the subway, and how to get to Times Square. Hotel was decent for the price we paid. It was very close to the subway and only 6 stops from Times Square. Our second night after a Broadway show, it was late and we didn't feel safe taking the subway. Cab cost us about $15.

A few negatives about our experience. When we checked in, the front desk clerk told us our room was not ready yet, but that we would be on the 12th floor. When we arrived back at 8 that night, we were moved down to the 8th floor with the clerk telling us that the pervious agent did not hold our room. The pillows are small and square, not great for sleeping on. The internet is very slow and often kicks you off while trying to use it. The Parking is often sold out at the hotel, and you are forced to park next door at a lot. The gentlemen at the lot could use a good lesson in customer service, and was quite rude - if you can find somewhere else to park, I would recommend it.

Upon check out, again the agent working was awesome and very helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn L.I. City Manahttan view and appreciate your candid feedback conering your experience. I also want to apologize and ensure you made every effort to let us know as we have a Manager on Duty who may have made your the experience better. We could have offerd larger pillows for instance. The wi-fi may have had some interruptions and again we apologize as we are working on upgrading our system. However, thank you for the kind comments regarding the Front Desk and your convenience into NYC from our location. We will continue to work hard to make every experience memorable. We do hope you visit us next time and give us a 5 instead!

Travel Safely,
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

My family and I stayed here for 7 full days for my wedding and I really can't say enough about this hotel. The hotel staff (especially Liz and Rambo) go above and beyond to accommodate their guests and provide 4 star service! We were a bit hesitant to be staying at a Holiday Inn outside the city for so long but, are so glad we did and would happily return.

Rooms- Very clean and spacious. Beds are comfortable and hotel is quiet and relaxing which is a very nice way to end a busy day full of sightseeing in the city. We also stayed in the Manhattan Suite for 4 nights and the view is to die for!!! Floor to ceiling windows with a view of the Manhattan skyline which includes the Empire State Building!

Hotel Amenities- The breakfast is very good and the service is really great as well! The Brazilian Steakhouse is a MUST and very reasonably priced. I saw other reviews addressing the service fee of 15% being added but, the staff earns it in my opinion. They gladly put tables together for us, got us drinks and anything else we asked for. Free wi-fi was a plus and the hotel bar makes great drinks. Perfect for happy hour before dinner which we took full advantage of!

Location- N and Q train are less than a 5 minute walk and Manhattan is a very short ride away. The area concerned us a bit when we arrived as it seems to be a bit run down but, we soon found that the area is quiet and seemingly safe. Also, there are several hotels in the area so tourists are all over the place. There is an excellent restaurant directly across the street that serves an amazing mac and cheese, The LIC Deli is equally delish (sandwiches and such) and the diner right next to subway entrance has pizza that you MUST try.

Customer Service- A-MA-ZING! Exceeded our expectations in all aspects! Thanks again to Liz and Rambo for going above and beyond. The staff really makes this hotel feel more like a 5 star hotel!

For the price, you won't find a better hotel in LIC or probably Manhattan! Highly recommend especially for people who want an escape from hustle of the city after long days of being on the go.

Thanks guys! You helped make my family's 1st trip to NYC and my wedding week a vacation of a lifetime! :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Amanda,

We are sooo excited you had a great experience at the Holiday Inn L.I. City Manhattan View! We cannot say enough about our team, especially Liz & Rambo, who consistently provide superoor service for all our guests. Also, the accommodations, restaurant and convenience were all up to your expectations. How wonderful is to know your Now that you have had a taste of the very best. Tell your soon to be brides and grooms the best is right outside Manhattan.

Congratulations once again and thank you for sharing your special week with us! Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback!

All the best from all of us!

Warmest Regards,
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We have just returned from our stay at this hotel during a 6 day visit to New York. We were looking for somewhere affordable to stay that was not too far from the centre of Manhattan and this is definitely what we found. Compared to many hotels that we looked at, this was very good value. The hotel itself was clean and the room was a very good size. We had tea and coffee making facilities and a fridge in the room. There was also a gym and a restaurant on site but we didn't use either of these.
Getting to the hotel from the airport was simple (even at 2am in the morning after our exceedingly long flight delay and with one of the lines closed!) Take the AirTrain to Jamaica, then the E to Queens Plaza from which it is a 5 minute walk to the hotel. While we were there this line was not operating, but it was still straightforward to use a different line to the airport. Getting to Manhatten was equally as easy with a choice of 3 subway stations although 39 Av was the easiest for getting to central places, eg, Times Square which is around 15 minutes away. We purchased a weekly pass (~ $30) which meant we could take as many trips as we wished (you need to make 13 trips to make your money back). Also opposite the hotel there is a shop which we found very useful for snacks etc.
We would definitely recommend staying at this hotel as a much more affordable way to see the city.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Gemma,

Thank you for your recent review and we appreciate you sharing your feedback with our viewers! We are loacated conveniently to Manhattan and easy access to all of Manhattan via subway. A great alternative! The train from JFK to the hotel is straight forward. I'm glad you found some local shop offerings a good tip for our travelers to know! Should you find yourself coming back down the road we would be delighted to have you back with us! We look forward to it!

All the best,
Pembroke Pines, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I spent a night here at this location because I had an interview I was attending nearby the next morning. The front desk was very helpful, they have an all you can eat Brazilian Steakhouse for $20 downstairs and when you check in you get a coupon for a free dessert.

The room wasn't bad, very comfortable, nothing was broken or needed looking after. I was lucky enough to have a manhattan view room on the 14th floor. The bathroom was amazing and an all glass shower very chic.

You're within a block from a corner store to get snacks or food if you need, 2 blocks from the N&Q train at 39 Ave. 5 stops and you get to Times Square 42nd St stop. I mean you can't beat the convenience of that.

They don't have their own shuttles but they do call someone to take you to LGA for $25. The parking lot is small, limited spots. The smokers section was directly in front of the door so you had to walk in between them to get in and that was annoying. The Brazilian steakhouse was ok. Some meats are good others not so much. The salad bar was very limited. It's worth a try but don't expect a high end flavor. You get what you pay for but still tasty.

I would highly recommend this hotel if you're coming to hangout in the city but don't have the money for staying in Manhattan. It's an easy get to the city and get out. I'll be back again very soon.
Also was highly grateful that they held my luggage until I got back from my interview and also let me shower up in the fitness center even after I checked out that morning.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Adam,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We appreciate the detailed feedback and delighted you had the opportunity to travel into Manhattan. Our Tagline is "Big City Taste without the Bite" I believe you said it! Good luck and hope your interview went well. We do hope to see you back and thank you for giving our viewers a sense of service, value and comfort!

All the best and travel safely,

Been to Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View? Share your experiences!