“Great room, great service, and nice location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Boca Raton, Florida
“Great room, great service, and nice location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

My mom, my sister and I stayed at the hotel during our spring break trip to NYC. The staff was very friendly. We arrived earlier than check-in time, but they let us leave our luggage with them so that we could start hitting the attractions. They did the same thing for us on our last day since our flight didn't leave until 7pm. The room is very clean, and even though there were constructions going on, we didn't have any problem with noises. One thing I personally like is that there is enough light in the room that we can work/study. I always hate hotel room with little light so this is a plus for me. The location is probably the best thing about this hotel. It is literally 3 minutes from a subway station so you could get to the city in 15 minutes. Overall, I had a great time staying at this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Kenny,

Thank you for your recent feedback and appreciate the time you took to complete this review. The staff are very happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time with us. The hotel is easy access to Midtown Manhattan and this feature is one of the most common compliments. We hope to see you next spring break 2014!

Happy Holidays,

557 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Stayed at the Holiday Inn LI City on July 4th weekend. Seemed relatively new so rooms were in good condition. The hotel is within a block of the N which takes you right into midtown Manhattan in 10-15 minutes so it's pretty convenient. Parking was pretty easy in the neighborhood as well. A great value if you don't mind not being right in the middle of things.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for remembering to give us your kind feedback! Its nice that we had an impression and you were able to recall your stay back in July! Thank you for taking the time and we hope to have you back sometime in the future. Have a safe and happy holiday season.

Warm Regards,
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

The staff is friendly and accomodating, and the hotel has what you need when traveling. The on-site restaurant was very convenient, the rooms are well appointed; comfortable bed, walk in shower, Keurig coffee maker, and ample space to work.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Dave,

Words of wisdom, Comfortable and Accommodating! Thank you for your feedback and your time to review our hotel! Stay warm up there in Buffalo and have a great holiday season. We are here any time you need comfortable accommodations.....

From all of us at the Holiday Inn L.I. City Manhattan View,

Warm Regards,
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 8 Nov to 10 Nov.

Staff checking me in insisted on holding $50 per night from my CC, which I thought was very odd considering I prepaid the cost of the room AND I handed a CC on check in and not a Debit Card. Never before had a hotel promised to debit me in advance for incidentals only to be told that I will be credited the amount on my departure. This is the M.O for debit cards.

The room was ok both in size and creature comforts by NYC standards. Breakfast is $11 more. I did not have it, instead visited a diner on the way to the nearest subway stop where eggs and toast with coffee is around $10. The diner has even cheaper options.

I found the staff on check in to be short with me. I asked for a room with a view and was told they had a few but that will cost me $50 per night more. Most chains often upgrade at no cost, but not this Holiday Inn. I also asked for a room far from the elevator and was given 304 which was the second closest room to the elevator. I pointed this out to staff, to which they replied "you are not in the closest room to the elevator, are you"?

After dropping my bags in the room I returned to the lobby to advise I saw two red marks on the carpet and a couple of broken or missing coat hangers. I mentioned this so I will not be billed for other people's damage. But the two staff members at the front desk were not interested in what I had to say.

In contrast, the staff member checking me out, Natali, was very polite.

I took the train from JFK. I had no idea this was not the thing to do.

Do not do this yourself as the nearest subway stop catering to the train from JFK is a 15 min walk with luggage. Taxis do not roam the streets for you to hail them down. I am mid 40s and solid. While I did not feel unsafe walking with my suitcase a dozen blocks, I did feel uncomfortable.

If you are staying here and you're a woman or a senior make sure you always get a train that services the nearest subway stop or get a cab from Manhattan.

If you are a group of people traveling together then you'll be fine.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear JA from Sydney,

I want to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and especially for giving a detailed account of the interactions with our staff. You have travelled a long way to stay with us! I want to start by saying that Credit Card Authorizations for even for prepaid rooms are not uncommon in Hotels in our market. Management only asks to hold a minimal amount which also lets the guest enjoy the option to pay for incidentals before checking out. I apologize if the Front Desk Associate didn't provide enough explanation to satisfy your concern. About your room assignment, at 172 square feet (I would not consider creature size) however we would have looked at other options other than a complimentary upgrade and we should have also identified your location to the elevator. As you may have read in previous reviews, there are dining options right across the street, glad you found some good meal options. Thank you for bringing the room concerns to the associate at time of departure, I'm disappointed in the reaction of the front desk and will address this as well.

Value is our number one compliment. We Value your feedback. Thank you for staying with us and next time please contact me directly so I may personally look after your reservation.

Kindest Regards,
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We were in town for a special family event, each of us having grown up in the neighboring area. This hotel was in a terrific location between the city itself and Queensborough, and gave us ready access to the inbound N train (just a few stops to downtown) as well as the BQE and outbound parkways to Long Island. Parking is limited at the hotel, but we'd made arrangements ahead of time and that was taken care of. When I lived there, LI City had gotten to the point we drove through it with windows up and doors locked. It's on its way to gentrification, which means it's not fully pretty yet; but it's definitely on its way up. IMO, this hotel is a good example of how good it is coming to be.
The staff were outstanding, from check-in to check-out. I've stayed at many types of hotels in the past fifty-plus years, and found them equal to any five star hotel. Housekeeping did a wonderful job on a daily basis, and were very quick to respond when I had a small issue with an in-room fixture. We only tried the bar, as we had events outside the hotel, which is nice but clearly simply a meeting point---so can't comment on the restaurant. For us, the deli across the street had the best breakfast sandwiches I've had since leaving New York, and it was a later-night treat we gave ourselves for mouth-watering pastrami sandwiches like you can't get outside this town. There's a nice little pub/restaurant where we had dinner after getting in late from the airport on the corner across from the hotel that you can trust to have good food and a fun local atmosphere.
Our room, 902, was contemporary and a step up from the usual Holiday Inn experience. Fixtures were largely in working order--had to replace the blow dryer (done in less than five minutes by housekeeping). On a cold night, you may have to play with the thermostat unless you close the thermal curtains (we didn't, as we wanted to soak up city lights), and the shower door leaks a good deal (just realized we forgot to report this, so they had no opportunity to address it). My only "really should do this" recommendation to the management would be to have safes in the rooms, especially large enough for a laptop. The safe deposit in the front office was inconvenient and not large enough for electronics.
If you want a postcard view, you'll have to go a couple floors higher, but for us, the views of the 59th Street Bridge and the Triboro with all the apartments and office buildings between brought back some warm memories, and Manhattan is surely more than just a view of the Empire State Building. We found it perfectly enjoyable, but some may find fault if they can't have the Hollywood version.
New Yorkers may have gotten a bad rep over the years, but most have a soft heart and love to show you their town. This hotel exemplified that, and we thank their staff, from housekeeping to front desk to bar to management. Well done! We are most certainly coming back.

Room Tip: Ask for the side facing the East River/Manhattan, and try to go above the 9th floor. Corner suites...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Past Neighbor,

Its not too often our hotel is placed in the same breath with 5 star hotels. We are truly honored and flattered. I thank you for the detailed review and want to greatly thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Firstly, I apologize for the shower and again thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'm also working on in-room safes which is a on my Christmas list for next year.

The Associates deserve all the credit for making our guests feel so comfortable. I will forward your kind feed back to the TEAM. They will be excited to see you again.

The neighborhood has developed and continues to grow each day. As more and more pubs and restaurants come into our area, the more our guests can stay local.

This has been very motivational. I know we have made a new long lasting relationship. Till the next time we see you come down from Missouri, happy and healthy holidays to you and your family from our family at the Holiday Inn L.I. City Manhattan View.

Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed one night here on final leg of two week holiday. Chose this as we wanted a hotel out of Manhattan as we had a hire car and did not want exorbitant parking charges.
Location is ok . Long Island city is not the prettiest of locations but it felt safe and it is literally a very short walk from subway station and then a quick ride into Manhattan.
Rooms were nice. We had a city view which was fab at night looking out over Manhattan.Very clean and staff were really friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was fine but restaurant lacked atmosphere.
Would I stay again? Not sure . It was handy for one night and good value but it isn't Manhattan.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear NYGAL,

Thank you for your recent review of our property. Long Island City is developing and is definitely a option to Manhattan. Your spot on with the Value! Pricing is better and the commute is convenient to all of the NYC. I'm delighted to hear that the staff and room were up to standard. I also appreciate the feedback on the restaurant experience, I have forwarded your feedback to the operator. We will be here next time if Manhattan doesn't price you out. We thank you for your time and consideration and it was a pleasure to have you as our guest. Happy Holidays....

Goose Creek, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed here two nights for a business trip. The room that I got was very small but was clean and comfortable enough. Had dinner one night at the restaurant downstairs...didn't eat the brazilian steakhouse food but had the hot and cold bar. The food was pretty good but the atmosphere was a little awkward...it's difficult to explain.

The location was not great. I didn't venture out but I couldn't really see much nearby in terms of restaurants or things to do. Overall, it wasn't a bad property but it certainly didn't wow me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Eddie,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts and feedback concerning your stay. I apologize if the property didn't present itself well during your visit. Long Island City has much to offer but your correct, you will need to venture out. Remember, our staff members can offer recommendations in the local area next time. As our area continues to develop, Manhattan is a short ride away. Thank you for giving us an opportunity and I'm sure the next time we can "wow" you. Travel Safely.......

Appreciatively,

Been to Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View? Share your experiences!