We were in town for a special family event, each of us having grown up in the neighboring area. This hotel was in a terrific location between the city itself and Queensborough, and gave us ready access to the inbound N train (just a few stops to downtown) as well as the BQE and outbound parkways to Long Island. Parking is limited at the hotel, but we'd made arrangements ahead of time and that was taken care of. When I lived there, LI City had gotten to the point we drove through it with windows up and doors locked. It's on its way to gentrification, which means it's not fully pretty yet; but it's definitely on its way up. IMO, this hotel is a good example of how good it is coming to be.
The staff were outstanding, from check-in to check-out. I've stayed at many types of hotels in the past fifty-plus years, and found them equal to any five star hotel. Housekeeping did a wonderful job on a daily basis, and were very quick to respond when I had a small issue with an in-room fixture. We only tried the bar, as we had events outside the hotel, which is nice but clearly simply a meeting point---so can't comment on the restaurant. For us, the deli across the street had the best breakfast sandwiches I've had since leaving New York, and it was a later-night treat we gave ourselves for mouth-watering pastrami sandwiches like you can't get outside this town. There's a nice little pub/restaurant where we had dinner after getting in late from the airport on the corner across from the hotel that you can trust to have good food and a fun local atmosphere.
Our room, 902, was contemporary and a step up from the usual Holiday Inn experience. Fixtures were largely in working order--had to replace the blow dryer (done in less than five minutes by housekeeping). On a cold night, you may have to play with the thermostat unless you close the thermal curtains (we didn't, as we wanted to soak up city lights), and the shower door leaks a good deal (just realized we forgot to report this, so they had no opportunity to address it). My only "really should do this" recommendation to the management would be to have safes in the rooms, especially large enough for a laptop. The safe deposit in the front office was inconvenient and not large enough for electronics.
If you want a postcard view, you'll have to go a couple floors higher, but for us, the views of the 59th Street Bridge and the Triboro with all the apartments and office buildings between brought back some warm memories, and Manhattan is surely more than just a view of the Empire State Building. We found it perfectly enjoyable, but some may find fault if they can't have the Hollywood version.
New Yorkers may have gotten a bad rep over the years, but most have a soft heart and love to show you their town. This hotel exemplified that, and we thank their staff, from housekeeping to front desk to bar to management. Well done! We are most certainly coming back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Manhattan View sets the bar high for Manhattan area hotels. With views of the unmistakable New York City skyline, our NYC hotel provides an exceptional backdrop for both business and pleasure. At our affordable Queens hotel, just minutes from Manhattan, New York City's legendary landmarks have never seemed so accessible! Explore the Empire State Building, Central Park, the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art, the Metropolitan Opera House at Lincoln Center, the Museum of the Moving Image, and the Statue of Liberty. Of course no visit would be complete without visiting other nearby sights including Times Square, Bryant Park, Grand Central Station, Broadway, and Madison Square Garden. Among Long Island City hotels, Holiday Inn Manhattan View is a nearby neighbor to many Fortune 500 companies, offering easy access to Citibank, MetLife, the United Nations, JetBlue, Delta, and Mount Sinai Medical Center. Our hotel is conveniently located within a short drive of all the major New York airports: LaGuardia, JFK and Newark. This Queens hotel offers guests free high-speed Internet access and a perfect location just minutes from Manhattan. Ideal for international travelers and vacationers, this Astoria, Queens hotel is located just one block from the N and Q subway lines and just a few blocks from the E and R subway lines. For an unforgettable New York City experience close to celebrated NYC attractions, look no further than the Holiday Inn Manhattan View. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, HotelTravel.com, Agoda, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn l.i. City - Manhattan View Hotel Long Island City
- Holiday Inn Long Island City
- Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View Long Island City, New York