“Already planning when to come back” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Already planning when to come back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We were in town for a special family event, each of us having grown up in the neighboring area. This hotel was in a terrific location between the city itself and Queensborough, and gave us ready access to the inbound N train (just a few stops to downtown) as well as the BQE and outbound parkways to Long Island. Parking is limited at the hotel, but we'd made arrangements ahead of time and that was taken care of. When I lived there, LI City had gotten to the point we drove through it with windows up and doors locked. It's on its way to gentrification, which means it's not fully pretty yet; but it's definitely on its way up. IMO, this hotel is a good example of how good it is coming to be.
The staff were outstanding, from check-in to check-out. I've stayed at many types of hotels in the past fifty-plus years, and found them equal to any five star hotel. Housekeeping did a wonderful job on a daily basis, and were very quick to respond when I had a small issue with an in-room fixture. We only tried the bar, as we had events outside the hotel, which is nice but clearly simply a meeting point---so can't comment on the restaurant. For us, the deli across the street had the best breakfast sandwiches I've had since leaving New York, and it was a later-night treat we gave ourselves for mouth-watering pastrami sandwiches like you can't get outside this town. There's a nice little pub/restaurant where we had dinner after getting in late from the airport on the corner across from the hotel that you can trust to have good food and a fun local atmosphere.
Our room, 902, was contemporary and a step up from the usual Holiday Inn experience. Fixtures were largely in working order--had to replace the blow dryer (done in less than five minutes by housekeeping). On a cold night, you may have to play with the thermostat unless you close the thermal curtains (we didn't, as we wanted to soak up city lights), and the shower door leaks a good deal (just realized we forgot to report this, so they had no opportunity to address it). My only "really should do this" recommendation to the management would be to have safes in the rooms, especially large enough for a laptop. The safe deposit in the front office was inconvenient and not large enough for electronics.
If you want a postcard view, you'll have to go a couple floors higher, but for us, the views of the 59th Street Bridge and the Triboro with all the apartments and office buildings between brought back some warm memories, and Manhattan is surely more than just a view of the Empire State Building. We found it perfectly enjoyable, but some may find fault if they can't have the Hollywood version.
New Yorkers may have gotten a bad rep over the years, but most have a soft heart and love to show you their town. This hotel exemplified that, and we thank their staff, from housekeeping to front desk to bar to management. Well done! We are most certainly coming back.

Room Tip: Ask for the side facing the East River/Manhattan, and try to go above the 9th floor. Corner suites...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Past Neighbor,

Its not too often our hotel is placed in the same breath with 5 star hotels. We are truly honored and flattered. I thank you for the detailed review and want to greatly thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Firstly, I apologize for the shower and again thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'm also working on in-room safes which is a on my Christmas list for next year.

The Associates deserve all the credit for making our guests feel so comfortable. I will forward your kind feed back to the TEAM. They will be excited to see you again.

The neighborhood has developed and continues to grow each day. As more and more pubs and restaurants come into our area, the more our guests can stay local.

This has been very motivational. I know we have made a new long lasting relationship. Till the next time we see you come down from Missouri, happy and healthy holidays to you and your family from our family at the Holiday Inn L.I. City Manhattan View.

612 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Czech first
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed one night here on final leg of two week holiday. Chose this as we wanted a hotel out of Manhattan as we had a hire car and did not want exorbitant parking charges.
Location is ok . Long Island city is not the prettiest of locations but it felt safe and it is literally a very short walk from subway station and then a quick ride into Manhattan.
Rooms were nice. We had a city view which was fab at night looking out over Manhattan.Very clean and staff were really friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was fine but restaurant lacked atmosphere.
Would I stay again? Not sure . It was handy for one night and good value but it isn't Manhattan.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear NYGAL,

Thank you for your recent review of our property. Long Island City is developing and is definitely a option to Manhattan. Your spot on with the Value! Pricing is better and the commute is convenient to all of the NYC. I'm delighted to hear that the staff and room were up to standard. I also appreciate the feedback on the restaurant experience, I have forwarded your feedback to the operator. We will be here next time if Manhattan doesn't price you out. We thank you for your time and consideration and it was a pleasure to have you as our guest. Happy Holidays....

Goose Creek, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed here two nights for a business trip. The room that I got was very small but was clean and comfortable enough. Had dinner one night at the restaurant downstairs...didn't eat the brazilian steakhouse food but had the hot and cold bar. The food was pretty good but the atmosphere was a little awkward...it's difficult to explain.

The location was not great. I didn't venture out but I couldn't really see much nearby in terms of restaurants or things to do. Overall, it wasn't a bad property but it certainly didn't wow me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Eddie,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts and feedback concerning your stay. I apologize if the property didn't present itself well during your visit. Long Island City has much to offer but your correct, you will need to venture out. Remember, our staff members can offer recommendations in the local area next time. As our area continues to develop, Manhattan is a short ride away. Thank you for giving us an opportunity and I'm sure the next time we can "wow" you. Travel Safely.......

Appreciatively,
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed 8 nights at this hotel. Chosen because the price was good, the subway and close to Manhattan. I was in NY for my birthday and found a little gift and a card for me in the room. I thought it was really nice of them. I had hoped that we would get a room with the Manhattean view. Unfortunately they could not arrange this for us. But that's okay we really enjoyed ourselves. We have no regrets that we chose this hotel. Friendly and helpful staff, everything was clean and worked wel. Weak wifi, which is a shame but we did not complain as we are gone all day and only briefly using it. We slept wel, bed comfortable but in our opinion the pillows can be replaced. Two minutes walk to the subway N&Q lines and within 10 minutes you're in the heart of Manhattan. That's a big plus for us as we did not want to pay the price of Manhattan hotel's. There is a smal grocery around the corner, very convenient. The neighborhood is not bad at all. We felt very safe, even at night.
Next time visit we'll definitely go back to Holiday Inn LIC again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nootje,

Thank you for your recent feedback and understand we have a few things to work on. Good News; We are in the process of changing our pillow program as previous guests have requested. This will be completed by March 2014. Our complimentary Wi-Fi access is being reviewed, as we recently made changes but are looking into a content management solution which will help minimize users to certain applications. This will help the ease of the service. Thank you again for your kind appraisal of our staff as they are what drives our guest satisfaction. Also good to hear you found the location convenient and safe. Till the next time, you will see much improvements and the view you didn't receive this time around.

Have a great holiday season and travel safely,

Warm Regards,
York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We have recently returned from a 7 night stay in this great hotel,fantastic location within a block of a good subway line .
Our room was lovely with great views of Manhattan, huge balcony the staff offered a great helpful service.
My only disappointment was that we were a party of 3 adults and I believed that we had paid in advance for our breakfasts only to be told that only 2 people per room get breakfast which meant that one of us always had to do without.
Otherwise great experience and will return.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent feedback and appreciate the details of your stay. Delighted to hear you found the accommodations and location desirable and easy accessible. I would ask that you confirm your booking in the future with the hotel to ensure all is on order so you can then had a 5 star stay. I apologize if the breakfast caused any displeasure. From all of us at the Holiday Inn Long Island City we look forward to your next visit.

Stay well and travel safely!
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed here, not because I was a New York tourist, but because I was actually working in L.I.C. so it was great to have a hotel nearby. The neighborhood is ethnically diverse and working class, but I never feared for my safety. This part of Queens is starting to gentrify, but there isn't much around in the immediate area in terms of restaurants and nightlife. The 39th St. subway station for the N and Q trains is just a short two blocks away for when you need to get into the city.

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. My room (king) was on an upper floor and had an expansive view, but it was not of the Manhattan skyline. It was a pretty good size (especially by NYC standards) and was well appointed. The bed was firmly comfortable and actually had king size pillows. The bathroom was a decent size and trimmed in marble. It had a large-ish shower but no tub. The TV only received a modest number of channels and an even more modest number of them were digital/hi-def. There was wired (if you brought your own cable) and wireless internet but it required you to log on every time you turned on your device (rather than the full day's access most hotels provide) and it blocked access to my company's VPN which limited my ability to work.

With few area dining options, I ate several meals in the hotel. The breakfast buffet was just OK (but not bad). The dinners were quite good. The prices in the restaurant were very reasonable, especially by NYC hotel standards. It should be noted that they add an automatic 15% tip to every bill ("because many foreign guests are not used to tipping," I was told).

If you are going to NYC as a tourist for the first time, I would really recommend that you stay in Manhattan so that you can immerse yourself in the experience. Once you know your way around, however, this hotel is pretty good and could be an economical alternative (especially mid-week) to the very pricey Manhattan properties.

Room Tip: Skyline views are great.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Advisor,

Thank you for the detail account of you recent stay. Interesting to say the least... Long Island City is a great alternative to Manhattan and just as easily accessible to Midtown. I'm delighted that you found our accommodations and services most comfortable and convenient. Our local area continues to emerge with new bars and restaurants, please check out Café Centraal (yes double A) across the street which just opened and Crescent Grill a few blocks away also a new restaurant. Please let us know about your internet permissions the next time you stay, I'm sure we can configure your VPN with our fire wall. Again, we appreciate the kind and helpful feedback for our guests and look no further when working or visiting.

Travel Safely!!! 87 hotel reviews in 68 cities including South Africa, now that's interesting....

Best,
india
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 6 nights. Being a priority club member I had requested for an upgrade. Unfortunately the upgrade was not available.
However, the rooms were quite spacious and clean. I was given a room on the higher floors.
The staff at the desk were quite helpful and provided all the help that was required.
The breakfast at the brazilian restaurant was good. The buffet dinner did not have a lot of choices not did ala-carte for a vegetarian.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Being close has its privileges! Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. I'm delighted that you found the staff and accommodations to your satisfaction. I will pass your sincere feedback to our associates. The Brazilian restaurant offers different selections on the buffet each day which gives the guest a different experience. We hope you'll find the experience next time more enjoyable.

Have a wonderful rest of the year and we look forward to your visit again with this!

Warmest Regards,

Been to Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View? Share your experiences!