“Interesting NYC alternative hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39-05 29th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Special New York Savings!
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Long Island City
Atlanta, Georgia
“Interesting NYC alternative hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed here, not because I was a New York tourist, but because I was actually working in L.I.C. so it was great to have a hotel nearby. The neighborhood is ethnically diverse and working class, but I never feared for my safety. This part of Queens is starting to gentrify, but there isn't much around in the immediate area in terms of restaurants and nightlife. The 39th St. subway station for the N and Q trains is just a short two blocks away for when you need to get into the city.

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. My room (king) was on an upper floor and had an expansive view, but it was not of the Manhattan skyline. It was a pretty good size (especially by NYC standards) and was well appointed. The bed was firmly comfortable and actually had king size pillows. The bathroom was a decent size and trimmed in marble. It had a large-ish shower but no tub. The TV only received a modest number of channels and an even more modest number of them were digital/hi-def. There was wired (if you brought your own cable) and wireless internet but it required you to log on every time you turned on your device (rather than the full day's access most hotels provide) and it blocked access to my company's VPN which limited my ability to work.

With few area dining options, I ate several meals in the hotel. The breakfast buffet was just OK (but not bad). The dinners were quite good. The prices in the restaurant were very reasonable, especially by NYC hotel standards. It should be noted that they add an automatic 15% tip to every bill ("because many foreign guests are not used to tipping," I was told).

If you are going to NYC as a tourist for the first time, I would really recommend that you stay in Manhattan so that you can immerse yourself in the experience. Once you know your way around, however, this hotel is pretty good and could be an economical alternative (especially mid-week) to the very pricey Manhattan properties.

Room Tip: Skyline views are great.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Advisor,

Thank you for the detail account of you recent stay. Interesting to say the least... Long Island City is a great alternative to Manhattan and just as easily accessible to Midtown. I'm delighted that you found our accommodations and services most comfortable and convenient. Our local area continues to emerge with new bars and restaurants, please check out Café Centraal (yes double A) across the street which just opened and Crescent Grill a few blocks away also a new restaurant. Please let us know about your internet permissions the next time you stay, I'm sure we can configure your VPN with our fire wall. Again, we appreciate the kind and helpful feedback for our guests and look no further when working or visiting.

Travel Safely!!! 87 hotel reviews in 68 cities including South Africa, now that's interesting....

Best,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Polish first
india
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 6 nights. Being a priority club member I had requested for an upgrade. Unfortunately the upgrade was not available.
However, the rooms were quite spacious and clean. I was given a room on the higher floors.
The staff at the desk were quite helpful and provided all the help that was required.
The breakfast at the brazilian restaurant was good. The buffet dinner did not have a lot of choices not did ala-carte for a vegetarian.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Being close has its privileges! Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. I'm delighted that you found the staff and accommodations to your satisfaction. I will pass your sincere feedback to our associates. The Brazilian restaurant offers different selections on the buffet each day which gives the guest a different experience. We hope you'll find the experience next time more enjoyable.

Have a wonderful rest of the year and we look forward to your visit again with this!

Warmest Regards,
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Very friendly and accommodating staff. Rooms are clean, beds comfortable, and not much street noise considering the location. This is a new property and the room rates are a great alternative to Manhattan prices. Just two blocks from the N train and only two stops to 59th and Lex. This was my second stay and I will return.

Room Tip: Rooms without the Manhattan view are the best value.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Senior Contributor,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property! We appreciate the feedback and are most humbled you found the convenience, comfort and value in our hotel. Everyone like options and we hope this will be your first option down the road. We look forward to your next visit! Travel Safely!

Kindest Regards!
Highland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The first thing I noticed was the greeting my wife and I received as we entered the hotel lobby. The customer service rep was very informative and processed our reservations, room and car assignments very quickly. She explained the parking policy which quests receive assigned parking for reasonable fee which is standard for New York; provided us with our tickets for free breakfasts during our 3 day stay; rooms were very clean and cleaning staff were very courteous and insured room was clean daily; balcony did display a beautiful view of Manhattan (best seen by night); computer was available to guests; the restaurant provided a unique and delicious Brazilian dinner with live music with a very relaxing environment after a long day of touring New York and surrounding cities. Though I observed the quick response to customer needs by the customer representatives, there were 2 such employees: Elizabeth Torres and co-work Mr. Melkis, they quickly came to my assistance as the guest printer was down. Needing to confirm and print my flight reservations for flight from Buffalo Airport to Ontario IAP, California. My delima was having to drive back to Buffalo to turn in my rented vehichle then rush to check in with my flight. Needless to say, Ms. Torres assured me that they would have my boarding passes printed on time and all I had to do is relax. In addition to assisting people, they managed to carryon courteous coversations with guests which made everyone more comfortable and relaxed. It was more relaxing to learn that the subway was about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and we were able to see the Statue of Liberty, Times Square and Central Park with enough time in our schedule to visit my niece that lived on 166th st, NY. Everything was great and never even had to move my car the during the whole 3 days, Although there were more staff members that I dealt and conversed with, it was the late night actions of Ms. Torres and Mr. Melkis that made the day for my wife and I. Nonetheless, everyone should get a great pat on the back as I saw nothing but smiling guests during my entire stay. Oh yes. Was recommended to the local laundrette/Cleaners. You can have it your way. Do clothes yourself or pay to have it done and have more time on your hands to visit the sites. There is a nice drug store across the street if you forget any of your meds (like my wife did). Very helpful and a catholic church across the street if you feel the need to say thanks for having such a nice hotel in a great location,

Room Tip: If available, get a balcony room with Manhattan View. It's nice to sit out and enjoy a cup of f...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you soo very much for the feedback and kind review of our hotel. I'm most proud of the Associates that work here which makes each day a blessing and a pleasure to be a part of. I have built a service culture and each associate embraces this culture each day. I'm delighted to hear that you were able to relax. One of the Holiday Inn Brand Experience Question is " Were you able to relax".

I will certainly pass on your feedback to Elizabeth and Melkis and I'm sure they will be happy to hear about your experience. I was also delighted to hear about the experience around the hotel from Housekeeping to the Restaurant. I will certainly pass on your details to them as well!

I think you covered it all. From all of us at the Holiday Inn L.I. City Manhattan View we want to wish you a great rest of the year and we will pray to see you next time. From your home away from home....

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

A good choice : Beautiful Manhattan view, very helpful staff, clean, 5 minutes walking from the subway (direct line to Central Park and Times Square). After spending your time visiting this amazing city, you come back home and enjoy the view from the balcony. Fall asleep and wake up with the Skyline. Manhattan with you 24 hours.
Next time we come back will be here! Thank you very much!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your time and details of your review. Unbelievable!! There's nothing more to stay.

Thank you and we look forward to your future visits....The NYC skyline will be waiting......

Warm Regards,
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

I'm here for 10+ days & staying in a suite with a large balcony & beautiful view.

What would take this hotel from ok to excellent are the simple things a hotel can do to make you feel valued- especially when you are dropping close to $4000.

An example today is that I had surgery, so I ordered food to the room. The room service menu is limited & I'm here for a long period, so today my food came from delivery by an outside restaurant. They didn't bring plates.

So, my husband went down & asked for a plate. The hotel restaurant manager was standing next to a stack of 60+ plates & refused to give him one unless he ordered from the hotel restaurant...again.

So, I called the front desk who said the restaurant/bar is independent although in the lobby, but shed try to get us one. She called back & said that she was unable to secured a plate.

Although it is not directly her fault. You'd think that the hotel would have a good enough rapport with the restaurant In their lobby that services all their guests, both there and through room service, that they could say they have a long term valued guest & need a plate.
This was just pathetic.

One day we returned to hotel in high wind to see that the construction site adjacent was literally snowing fiberglass (that was not properly secured and had obviously broke loose) on the whole block & into the hotel lobby as the door opened. I mentioned I didn't want to breathe it & had they called it in, and the front desk person said that it happens all the time & she had no clue it could be reported- total disconnect...

There was a brand new bar/restaurant that had just opened (3 days ago) directly across the street from the front door of the hotel. We called down to find out the name as we wanted to find out about their hours & menu. No one at the front desk knew their name or phone number. i know its new, but Understand this is an up and coming area so in close vicinity to the hotel, there's not a huge amount of semi upscale options. So again, you'd think they would've developed a rapport as it benefits the hotel to have a great little place in walking distance to refer guests to... And if nothing else to be knowledgeable on what's in the area...

Although the maids were very nice, and the view was pretty, and it was clean, things like the above examples that offer convenience to a long term guest, render the overall stay mediocre, and are the small things (that are so easy to do) that make the difference whether I'd stay here on my next long term visit.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to have had you as our guest! I want to apologize and I will personally look into another system to provide guests with another option when requesting restaurant items. The hotel and restaurant operator do work together again I will look further into this. The establishment across the street literally just opened and a grand opening is scheduled in the near future. The establishment has not approached the hotel with any information, sadly, therefore not having experienced the place nor my staff, please forgive us for not offering any information we just haven't made it there yet.
The construction site near us was in fact disciplined for not properly covering their worksite and our property was affected as well as the surrounding area for a few days but again this doesn't happen all the time.
I really want to thank you for the detailed review and assure you that these concerns will be addressed. As you stated "....things like the above examples that offer convenience to a long term guest, render the overall stay mediocre, and are the small things (that are so easy to do) that make the difference whether I'd stay here on my next long term visit." You have our attention and look forward to your next visit!

Appreciatively,
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was in New York City for a 6 night/day visit to take in the sights and needed a base that wasn't going to eat up the majority of my budget for the trip. This hotel proved to be a hidden gem. The room itself was generous in size and i had a view of Manhattan from the window and balcony. When this is your first visit to the city, you get in late and your first proper view of the city is the famed Manhattan skyline? Breathtaking.
The staff were all courteous and very helpful when I was looking for a local bar that would be showing that nights UFC card. They didn't know offhand but very quickly were able to find out and let me know before I headed out.
One of the major benefits of this hotel is its proximity to the 39th Avenue Subway station which is a mere 2 blocks from the hotel. The N&Q lines run through this station which takes you directly into Manhattan in 10-15 minutes.
All in all this proved to be the perfect hotel to function as a base to take in all that NYC has to offer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Manhattan view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Juan,

Thank you for your time and recent review of our property! Thanks for making a reference to the subway; Our guests are often wanting to know how close it really is! The hotel is surely a hub to all major attractions and this is the hidden part of it! Next time your here try Klutch in Astoria where UFC Fights are the bigger than Sunday Football. We hope to see you on the next visit!

Kindest Regards,

Been to Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View? Share your experiences!