I stayed here, not because I was a New York tourist, but because I was actually working in L.I.C. so it was great to have a hotel nearby. The neighborhood is ethnically diverse and working class, but I never feared for my safety. This part of Queens is starting to gentrify, but there isn't much around in the immediate area in terms of restaurants and nightlife. The 39th St. subway station for the N and Q trains is just a short two blocks away for when you need to get into the city.
The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. My room (king) was on an upper floor and had an expansive view, but it was not of the Manhattan skyline. It was a pretty good size (especially by NYC standards) and was well appointed. The bed was firmly comfortable and actually had king size pillows. The bathroom was a decent size and trimmed in marble. It had a large-ish shower but no tub. The TV only received a modest number of channels and an even more modest number of them were digital/hi-def. There was wired (if you brought your own cable) and wireless internet but it required you to log on every time you turned on your device (rather than the full day's access most hotels provide) and it blocked access to my company's VPN which limited my ability to work.
With few area dining options, I ate several meals in the hotel. The breakfast buffet was just OK (but not bad). The dinners were quite good. The prices in the restaurant were very reasonable, especially by NYC hotel standards. It should be noted that they add an automatic 15% tip to every bill ("because many foreign guests are not used to tipping," I was told).
If you are going to NYC as a tourist for the first time, I would really recommend that you stay in Manhattan so that you can immerse yourself in the experience. Once you know your way around, however, this hotel is pretty good and could be an economical alternative (especially mid-week) to the very pricey Manhattan properties.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Manhattan View sets the bar high for Manhattan area hotels. With views of the unmistakable New York City skyline, our NYC hotel provides an exceptional backdrop for both business and pleasure. At our affordable Queens hotel, just minutes from Manhattan, New York City's legendary landmarks have never seemed so accessible! Explore the Empire State Building, Central Park, the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art, the Metropolitan Opera House at Lincoln Center, the Museum of the Moving Image, and the Statue of Liberty. Of course no visit would be complete without visiting other nearby sights including Times Square, Bryant Park, Grand Central Station, Broadway, and Madison Square Garden. Among Long Island City hotels, Holiday Inn Manhattan View is a nearby neighbor to many Fortune 500 companies, offering easy access to Citibank, MetLife, the United Nations, JetBlue, Delta, and Mount Sinai Medical Center. Our hotel is conveniently located within a short drive of all the major New York airports: LaGuardia, JFK and Newark. This Queens hotel offers guests free high-speed Internet access and a perfect location just minutes from Manhattan. Ideal for international travelers and vacationers, this Astoria, Queens hotel is located just one block from the N and Q subway lines and just a few blocks from the E and R subway lines. For an unforgettable New York City experience close to celebrated NYC attractions, look no further than the Holiday Inn Manhattan View. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Tingo, Despegar.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn l.i. City - Manhattan View Hotel Long Island City
- Holiday Inn Long Island City
- Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View Long Island City, New York