“A Big Surprise Near The Big Apple!” 5 of 5 stars

Save 20%
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Summerville, South Carolina
“A Big Surprise Near The Big Apple!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was in Long Island City on business recently and my employer booked my hotel for me within walking distance to the office. Upon my first arrival, and after a two + block walk from the subway stop, I was VERY disappointed - the neightborhood was 'sketchy' at best (a combo of businesses - some closed, others such as car repair garages etc.., a few churches, some residential etc..) but boy was I deceived! Immediately upon entering the small lobby we were warmly greeted and quickly checked in. Although my room was only on the 4th floor (without the quote/unquote Manhattan View) it was very nice, an adequate size and fresh and clean. The bathroom shower was AMAZING (just as an aside - I recently stayed at a Four Seasons Resort and their shower wasn't as nice!!) . The towels were reasonably nice, too. My only complaint is that the pillows were not very comfortable but this seems to be a common thread for most hotels -alas we are accustomed to our pillows from home!
We did not eat any meals at the hotel but the breakfast buffet downstairs looked good and plentiful. The staff was always friendly and professional and when I asked them to replace a burned out light bulb in the bathroom it was done within minutes.
The other amazing thing is that this property is ONE subway stop from Manhattan (Lexington and 57th Street) so it truly is conveneint to the city. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others!

Room Tip: If I return I might ask for a higher floor to take advantage of the Manhattan View!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. Big Apple Taste without the bite is our motto! We appreciate your feedback and note that if you would like the shower head manufacturer please do not hesitate to contact me directly at rbianchi@himanview.com. I always was told that it's not what's on the outside that matters but inside and you certainly are welcomed back anytime! Our area has a mixture of commercial, retail and residential properties and each day more and more business are opening up. I was surprised when I first came to this property and Long Island City has come a long way since.

Travel Safely and look forward to your next visit!

Warmest,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed here for a week, just got back today. The hotel is really good, clean, all amenities are great. the staff are lovely, very helpful and attentive and just really polite - couldn't fault them! I asked for special arrangements for my daughters b/day and it was all sorted seamlessly!! The only negative, and this is a real little thing is i would have liked real cups and teabags in the room, a British thing no doubt! other than that i would stay here again, convenient, great views and great staff- well done all staff!

Room Tip: book a balcony room with a view...amazing Manhattan skyline views!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Kendra,

Thank you for spending your 16th birthday with us! You have a wonderful mum who really went out of her way to make this a special occasion! From the entire staff, we want to thank you for making this trip with us and have a wonderful birthday. I appreciate the time and consideration in writing this review and hope to see you guys down the road.

All the best wishes and to great memories........
Oshawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is a second visit to NYC (4 nights) and, like the first time, we stayed with Holiday Inn. This time we chose Manhattan View in L.I. City. We chose this one mostly on the fact it is a 2 min walk to the 39th subway stop. While the are is run down somewhat, we never felt unsafe. If you are driving, be aware that parking is very limited and mat not get a spot on the Holiday Inn property. However, parking right next door in the Uhaul parking (Holiday Inn suggests to use them when they are full) is perfectly fine and costs the same. The attendant I met there (Jay) was extremely friendly, courteous, and customer service minded. He was also willing to offer suggestions on what to visit while in NYC.
The staff at Holiday Inn were great. Friendly and always had a smile.The room was clean. No complaints or concerns about the room, bed, etc at all.
While we had breakfast in the in house restaurant the first to mornings of our stay and the food was ok, the last two mornings we went to Zante which is located right at the steps to the subway stop. Prices are great and the food is amazing. Skip the breakfast in the hotel and go to this place. Trust me. It may not look like much, but they serve fresh, quality food at an amazing price. For the three of us and no drinks, it cost around 23.00 without tip. In the Holiday Inn restaurant it cost us about 30 to 32 that was for the buffet. never got to try their dinner menu, but looking at it, I would not hesitate to go to them. They also have healthy options and you can ask for egg whites only. Just 1.00 extra charge which is very reasonable. Oh and bring cash. It is a cash only business. The owner (I assume he was) and the waitress were nice to talk to.
Here is their trip advisor page http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/3/43483/restaurant/NYC/Zante-Restaurant-Long-Island-City

It is too bad the pool closed down in Jan. My daughter would have liked that option. But we will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Derrick,

Thank you for your kind feedback and review of our hotel for the second time. Its nice to know what you have come to expect every time you stay with us. I will let our fabulous staff know how well our guests are taken care of. Thank you for sharing some helpful hints and tips for our guests! Stay tuned as we are converting the pool space into a guest amenity concept, and always we look forward to your 3rd stay with us! Please contact me directly to make your reservation as I would like to thank you personally for your time in creating reviews so our future guests get a real sense of our little home away from home. All the best!

Warmest Regards,
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed 3 nights here and the room was clean and much bigger than we were expecting (given all the other hotels in NYC we had looked at. Really convenient for the subway and staff were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay again if we return to NYC.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear KJW,

Thank you for your time and feedback. We appreciate the opportunity to work with you and the team and I would llike to send our very best wishes and thanks for your wonderful feedback. Friendly, Clean, and Convenience are words we very much llike to hear so again thank you and hope to see you on the next visit to our city!

Appreciatively,
Cleveland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel was perfectly suited to our needs. It was only a 3 minute walk to a subway and I felt very safe there. There is a really tasty dining place called Zantes next to the subway where we would go for breakfast. The view really was wonderful and the place was clean and comfortable. (Beds were very comfortable.) Most importantly, however, the staff was awesome -- everyone from the maids to the restaurant waitress to the front desk clerks! They were helpful, friendly, and fun. We had a wonderful stay! I can't say enough nice things about them!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Cindy,

Thank you for your recent RAVE review and appreciate the details regarding the local area and staff! I've mentioned before that the hotel staff are the best in long island city and really take the time to ensure our guests receive the best service! Another good tip for travelers to use when they visit us!

I want to again thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your time and consideration!

We'll hope to see you at the next time......

Appreciatively,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed here as the prices in Manhattan were outrageous and this hotel was easily 3/4 less. We had a king sized bed in the seventh floor which offered floor-to-ceiling windows on two walls, a sliding glass door on to a balcony and was one of the most spacious rooms I have ever stayed in when visiting NYC. The hotel is just a two block walk to the N and Q trains. The neighborhood is certainly the drawback as it doesn't have the same Manhattan feel. The little bodega across the street offered great breakfast sandwiches and adding avocado is free! It is a Dominican owned place so lots of flavors from the island. Overall, I would definitely stay here again. After a long day doing meetings in Midtown, followed by dinner and a glass of wine, being only three/four stops from my hotel was so
appealing.

• Stayed July 2013
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Blaize

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel and area. You have found value in the boroughs and noticed the convenience as well! We apprecitate the feedback and want to thank you for highlighting your day with a short subway ride back to your hotel. Nice picture off the balcony! Till the next time, safe travels and an authentic empanada awaits you when you come back!

Warmest Regards,
Binghamton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The hotel was clean, modern and fully functional to meet our needs. We were meeting friends in Brooklyn one day and seeing family in Queens the next, so we wanted to avoid the hassle of Manhattan. Although the room was a little small, everything was well designed so that we did not feel cramped - very efficient use of space. Great view of the Manhattan skyline.
The front desk staff was friendly and helpful.
We got a great deal from the Holiday Inn web site ($126 with AAA discount) and had no trouble parking on the street. Although much of the neighborhood is metered, we arrived after the meters went off in the evening, so parking was free and easy. We then just fed the meter in the AM until we were ready to leave. We found a great inexpensive place for breakfast on Yelp that was about a block and a half away (Zante) - where the locals (cops, construction workers, etc.) eat. It was nothing fancy, but as a former New Yorker, I appreciated that what are perceived as "special orders" in other places (i.e. I want my homefries crispy, my scrambled eggs well done, etc.) were received as basic instructions, no different than asking for rye vs. wheat. And, of course, everything came exactly as we ordered it.
The neighborhood is safe. As others have noted, it's in transition from industrial to becoming gentrified.
We will definitely come back and have already recommended this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Manhattan skyline!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Nancy,

Thank you very much for you time and feedback concerning out location, accommodations and services. I really appreciate the part about our location and local fare. Being from here really gives our potential guests a true feeling about Long Island City. A true testimony! Metered parking is a local perk, good job on taking advantage of it! You now know where we are and where to find great rates compared to Manhattan Hotels, we look forward to your future visits back home and thank you for recommending our property.

Well Wishes, Keep Reviewing, and Travel Safe!

Best,

Been to Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View? Share your experiences!