“Close to the subway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
worcester
“Close to the subway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel is walking distance to the subway and easy to find time square, top of the rock ( a must see) and the 9/11 memorial. From our room you could hear the subway faintly. The room was a good size for one night with a full closet. We stayed on the second floor not much of a view (room 206). Parking: we saw 13 spots- and its $20 a night that you stay. You get a voucher for your dash board and you will get towed if you don't have a voucher. The parking is VERY tight! The check in desk will have maps of the city with subway information if you ask. Make sure your door is shut when you leave- it seemed to be a little difficult to close. The pool is closed- we were disapointed that it was not corrected on the web site when we were booking. Its a great price for a hotel, taxes, and parking for under $200 a night.

Room Tip: We could adjust the heat in our room which was nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Katelynn,

Thank you for your time in reviewing our hotel. We appreciate your feedback! I apologize about the pool closure, I believe all information concerning this service has been updated since the new year but if there's a place where it is still published please let me know. We are also in the process of updating our collateral in rooms as well. Glad you found the property satisfactory and a value for what you were looking for. Thank you again for staying with us an please stay tuned for a new service that the hotel will offer in the coming months.

Safe Travels,

Appreciatively,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Having never been to New York before, I selected this hotel based just on its price and previous ratings. For New York City, the hotel is affordable (I booked through Expedia). When I arrived I was tired after a total journey of more than 12 hours.

Initial impressions were good - the hotel is new and the neighbourhood safe. I strolled around as a single traveller and was always fine. The area has a few delis, including an excellent one just by the subway stop, which is just one block away from the hotel on the N and Q lines.

Inside, I was greeted by Luis, who after checking in immediately helped me, by providing a subway map and explaining how to find the main sites. The room was clean (and was serviced to a great standard daily). The coffee machine was great! The hotel was quiet and I got 4 good nights sleep out of four.

The restaurant suited my needs perfectly on the couple of days where I had been out and about and wanted a chilled evening. The gym was well equipped. Another bonus for me, as my mobile phone decided not to work, there was a business centre downstairs where I could freely email (to meet up with friends in NYC) and print boarding passes etc.

All in all a great experience, cannot fault the hotel or the staff, who looked after me.

Will be coming back for sure next summer! Thankyou!

Room Tip: Although I was on floor 4, the higher rooms have great views... take the lift up to 15th in the even...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Alex,

Thank you sooo much for your time and feedback! Glad to hear you were safe, comfortable, found value, and experienced the services the hotel has to offer to your satisfaction. I will certainly forward your comments to our associates. We appreciate your business and please do not hesitate to contact us next year! Thank you for being a brilliant guest!

Safe Travels,

Fort Worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Location:
Long Island City near train stations.
Small convenience store across the street.

Getting to Hotel from Airport:
Pre-booked Carmel car from Newark airport took 50 mins (at 10pm).

Check-In:
No waiting.
Fast and smooth.
Offered a package of cookies and water at check-in.

Room:

Room Service:

Elevators:
Fairly fast.

Desk:
Good working height but drawer hits knees.
Desk Lamp.
Two power sockets in desk lamp.

Desk Chair:
Adjustable and comfortable for work.

Iron:

Trouser Press:

Robes:

Slippers:

Umbrella:

Tea and Coffee in room:

Complimentary Drinking Water:
Bottle offered at check-in.

Fridge:

Turn Down Service:

Room Lighting:
Bedside lamps.
Good lighting.

Closet, Drawer and Cabinet Space:
Medium sized closet with hanging area.
Drawer space below TV cabinets.

Phones:
Phone on desk.
Phone bedside.
No phone in bathroom.

Couch:
Two lounge chairs.

TV:
Medium sized LCD on cabinet.
Many channels including HBO.

Windows:
Sliding glass doors leading to balcony.
Curtains effective at blocking sunlight.

Balcony:

View from Room:
LaGuardia airport in the distance.

Bathroom:
Medium sized.
Shower unit (door doesn’t close exactly so watch for water leakage).
No bathtub.
No bidet.
Magnifying mirror.
Very good lighting.
Basic amenities.
Water pressure strong.
Hot water in mornings. Not hot in evenings.
No heated mirror.
Shaver outlet for US style plugs.
Heated bathroom floor: No.

Morning Newspaper at Door:
Complimentary US Today in the lobby.

Gym:

Included in room rate.

Bed:
King size bed.
Bedside lamps.
Very comfortable and firm.
Very clean.

Room Cleanliness:
Cleaned daily.
Some sloppiness in cleaning.

Air Conditioning:
Very effective.

Alarm Clock and Wakeup:
Wake up calls requested from reception were always on time.

Laundry Service:

Microwave Oven:

Breakfast:
Reasonably priced a la carte or small buffet.

Restaurant:
Good prices (especially with coupon).
Food OK.

Genuinely concerned.

Check Out:
Fast.

Getting from Hotel to Airport:
60 minutes (at 2pm) to Newark airport by pre-arranged Carmel car.

Room Tip: Take coupons offered at check-in for restaurant discounts.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the detailed account of your stay and full comprehensive list of amenities and services our hotel has to offer. This is how you fully evaluate a property and noticed the same approach with other hotels you visited. A quality inspector approach!

From the response, it looks like we passed and appreciate you describing your stay for consumers to see what a great hotel we are. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and found the staff and operation up to your expectations. We strive to improve more on your next visit. One thing I wanted to mention is there's a microwave for guests to use in the lower level as well as upon request.

Travel Safely and again please let us know the next time you’re in town. Thank you for staying with us!

Appreciatively,
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Just after Thanksgiving last year, our apartment had to undergo emergency repairs. We were to be out a total of three weeks, but we did not know it then. We got to this hotel after week 1. By then our nerves were still frazzled, the kids were a bit undone by the new routine (and upset by our previous accomodations) and I was just anxious about a million things. Then the insurance company offered us the Holiday Inn Manhattan View. Finally, heaven was smiling! This is such a gem of a hotel. It is modern on the outside, yet the rooms have touch of warmth and very spacious. I believe most every room has a view of Manhattan, either a balcony or an extra alcove. Our rooms had an alcove with a nice ottoman where you could lie down, throw open the curtains and enjoy the view! Serenity, just what we needed! It is so clean and neat, our housekeeping staff were starting to feel like family. The front desk folks were so nice and accommodating. One of them is named "Rambo", that still makes me smile. When you visit, you'll see why! There is a Brazilian eat-all-you-can restaurant in house. They also served decent breakfasts, buffet or a la carte. One of the best things about this hotel is it is just TWO STOPS away from Bloomingdale's in Manhattan. That is closer to the Upper East side, than Times Square is! And the other best thing: you are in Queens! Which means fabulous eating is just a few subway stops away: Astoria, Jackson Heights, Long Island City, Woodside, Flushing. We ended up staying two weeks. The kids did not want to leave anymore! This hotel is definitely #1 on my list to recommend to out of town guests from now on!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Neighbor,

Thank you for your kind feedback! Thank you for taking time out of your day to recreate your experience at the Holiday Inn L.I. City Manhattan View when so much personally is happening around your personal life! We're thrilled to hear your back home with your family and settled. I only hope that that these circumstances only happen once in a lifetime but given the unfortunate call, we would have ever been able to have you as our guest.

I'm very proud of my team and this account of your stay will inspire them to continue to do what we do best, hospitality. I will pass on your lovely comments to the Restaurant Management as well. Should you find yourself back in L.I. City for any reason I will certainly be delighted to have you back with us! Rambo has acquired yet another guest to look after as she really takes the time to ensure our guests are comfortable. Glad to hear Rambo was there to make you smile in the time of need!

From your number FAN, we look forward to assisting you in the future........Travel safely!

Medford, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We came into Long Island for a wake and a funeral. The hotel was selected by a friend. We arrived early coming from eastern Long Island. We didn't know what the check in time was. We waited about an hour and a half. We were comped an upgrade room for waiting on the 15th floor. The room was beautiful and the view of Manhattan was the best. We only stayed one nite. The bed was very comfortable along with the bedding and pillows. We only had a few minor complaints which I'm sure will be taken care of. The ice maker was not producing ice, the clock radio in the room could not be set for a wake up time which could have been our fault. But the personnel took our request over the phone at the front desk. The sliding glass door was making a noise I believe due to the wind as it was very windy and cold. The heat in the lobby and the bar could have been better. Over all everything else was wonderful. The personnel was warm and professional. Knowing this is a new hotel I feel these are probably kinks that need to be worked out. I hope so as we would like to recommend this hotel and would probably use it again it the future. Thank you John and Victoria Olexa

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear John and Victoria,

We are sorry for your recent loss. I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to respond and review our property during a tough time. This week was unusual in terms of weather however we have discovered a unit in the lower level that needed attention so we will correct the temperature in the main lobby moving forward. Items in the rooms have been addressed, thank you. I distinctly recall speaking with you upon arrival, thank you for staying with us and please do not hesitate to contact in the future for reservations. I will ensure your room is in perfect order. We will ensure on you on the net visit you will not encounter anything less a perfect stay.

Wishing you and your family well!

Columbus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Luis was an extraordinary concierge and the highest representation of such a well-known worldwide brand. The room we had was amazing and had a beautiful view of Manhattan! We absolutely loved the Brazilian steakhouse inside. I will definitely stay here again.
Ask for the 11th floor and above!

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Dru,

Thank you for your recent review and wonderful commentary on our staff, product and services. Our lower floors are nice too, just saying! I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your business! We cannot wait till the next time. Happy Traveling!!!!!

NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This hotel was chosen because it was a Holiday Inn with great reviews, pricing and location to public transportation for week long business in midtown Manhattan. The large queen room (605) with mini-fridge overlooked 39th St and is high enough that some upper Manhattan views are visible and the street noise was low. It is also situated away from the elevator and did not face the construction on the building next door so the interior noise level was low. I felt very comfortable and safe walking daily the two blocks to the 39th St Metro station and grabbing the N or Q to midtown for business activities. The staff was always friendly and helpful, and quickly responded to an issue we had with our thermostat mid-week. My daughter, who shared the room, enjoyed the fitness center daily, and I used the "business center" (a computer/printer under the stairs) to print my boarding passes. We tried the restaurant twice, but found eating out more enjoyable. The selections were okay, but the food is so-so, and since the restaurant is on the basement level, it is very dark. Our room had a mini-fridge, so we took advantage of the Deli and grocer across the street, and the microwave on the lowest level. I paid for parking and had a spot each evening, but heads up, the spaces and navigation areas are tight, so smaller vehicles are better choices. That said, street parking would not be a problem in this neighborhood.

If I had to make a negative comment, it is that there is no ramp near the front entryway so it was a challenge to navigate the luggage trolley when arriving and leaving.

Room Tip: Sixth floor, north view is sufficient if you want views and low noise. The mini-fridge was a bonus...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent feeback and review of our property! We appreciate your time and detail and of course being a "Gem" of a guest! Pricing, Location, Confortable, Safe, Friendly, Helpful, and Quick Response very much depicts our culture at the Holiday Inn. I will certainly look into your suggestions and pass your thoughts onto our departments. I'm delighted you you enjoyed your stay and found the services to fit your travel needs and we look forward to a future visit!

Travel Safely.........