“A gem in L.I.C.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
NC
“A gem in L.I.C.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This hotel was chosen because it was a Holiday Inn with great reviews, pricing and location to public transportation for week long business in midtown Manhattan. The large queen room (605) with mini-fridge overlooked 39th St and is high enough that some upper Manhattan views are visible and the street noise was low. It is also situated away from the elevator and did not face the construction on the building next door so the interior noise level was low. I felt very comfortable and safe walking daily the two blocks to the 39th St Metro station and grabbing the N or Q to midtown for business activities. The staff was always friendly and helpful, and quickly responded to an issue we had with our thermostat mid-week. My daughter, who shared the room, enjoyed the fitness center daily, and I used the "business center" (a computer/printer under the stairs) to print my boarding passes. We tried the restaurant twice, but found eating out more enjoyable. The selections were okay, but the food is so-so, and since the restaurant is on the basement level, it is very dark. Our room had a mini-fridge, so we took advantage of the Deli and grocer across the street, and the microwave on the lowest level. I paid for parking and had a spot each evening, but heads up, the spaces and navigation areas are tight, so smaller vehicles are better choices. That said, street parking would not be a problem in this neighborhood.

If I had to make a negative comment, it is that there is no ramp near the front entryway so it was a challenge to navigate the luggage trolley when arriving and leaving.

Room Tip: Sixth floor, north view is sufficient if you want views and low noise. The mini-fridge was a bonus...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent feeback and review of our property! We appreciate your time and detail and of course being a "Gem" of a guest! Pricing, Location, Confortable, Safe, Friendly, Helpful, and Quick Response very much depicts our culture at the Holiday Inn. I will certainly look into your suggestions and pass your thoughts onto our departments. I'm delighted you you enjoyed your stay and found the services to fit your travel needs and we look forward to a future visit!

Travel Safely.........

555 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Polish first
Kettering
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is a typical Holiday Inn hotel but in an excellent location. The hotel is situated 2 miniutes from 39th street station on the N and Q subway which in 10 minutes will take you into the heart of Manhattan. So you have all the benefits of being close to the heart of NY without paying Manhattan mad prices. The room we had was an executive suite on the 16th floor which gave excellent views over Long Island. The hotel was clean and eficiently run though we did have an issue on the first night when the room was not serviced, but they quickly remedied this. The restaurant is not the best in the world, but who needs this on site when there are so moany excellent places to eat a short subway ride away! Breakfast was the typical arrangement you get in a Holiday Inn anywhere. Not great but it does the job. If your staying in NY for a few days I would recommend you give this hotel a try.

Room Tip: I suggest you try to get a room overlooking Manhattan and whilst the suites on the 16th on 17th floo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our property. I must say you take your feedback seriously. We appreciate the comments and recommendations. Traveling as much as you do I was delighted to hear that a concern arose and it was taken care of quickly. Cleanliness and Efficient are also key components of our success. I will certainly let our staff know how much this review impacts future business, so thank you for you time and honest feedback. Glad to hear you found your way around and that our location was convenient. I hope to have the opportunity to meet you next time and please let me know the next time in our town!

Thank you for staying with us!!!

Dusseldorf, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

An excellent hotel if you would like to stay close to Manhattan, but not paying the Manhattan prices, especially around Christmas and New Year! The hotel is clean, staff very helpful, view over Manhattan skyline - a dream. Best quality rib-eye in the restaurant! I would also like to thank the manager for helping us book a room on the upper floors, with Manhattan view - it was just great! I would stay in this hotel every time we get to NYC!!! Subways is 1 minute away, there is a greek eatery on the corner with delightful (if somewhat heavy) breakfast and even if the area doesn't look much at the beginning, we have never felt unsafe!

Room Tip: Just ask the manager for help - and try not to get a room near the vending machines! Higher floors h...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Vielen Dank für Ihren letzten Überprüfung und wurden uns freuen, Sie als unseren Gast zu haben!

We appreciate the kind feedback and will pass your comments onto the team. Long Island City is truly a great way to see the sights! We look forward to your next stay!

Have a wonderful, healthy and safe New Year!

bis zum nächsten Mal!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

less than 3-minutes walk to the subway and took us about 10 minutes to Times Square 42nd stop, quite convenient for using the public transportation. the room is clean and smell nice throughout our 4-days stay. the lobby front desk is friendly especially with Luis and Mark, which is kind enough to extend the check-out time since our departure plane is in the early evening. and the brazilian buffet at the hotel is pretty good!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Andy,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel! We appreciate your feedback about the staff and services. I'm delighted your had the opportunity to see NYC and of course the commute is convenient from out hotel. I see you took advantage of the Brazilian buffet, good choice for the family.... Have a great New Year and hope to see you next time when your in NY.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Thank u guys for making my stay in LIC comfortable and fun.

Rambo is one of the nicest front desk officer and lina (hope i remembered it right) my room cleaner are both awesome.

Rambo is always ready with a smile and always helping with stuff! Kudos the Holiday inn Team!

I will surely see u in my next visit to nyc!

• Stayed October 2012
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and kind comments regarding our staff. We appreciate you staying with us. Have a great New Year and hope to see you in the new year.

Warm Regards from the Rambo, Lina and the Holiday Inn Manhattan View Staff!
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

This review is quite late as I stayed at this hotel back in May this year. First trip to New York.. Landing at JFK and getting to the hotel was a bit daunting as others have said the neighbourhood isn't amazing however it is not dangerous at all. We were two girls alone and felt safe walking back from the subway even at 3am. The subway is literally round the corner.. We bought a week card and used the subway to go everywhere instead of using taxis.. All part of the experience!! There is a convenience store opposite and a deli right near the subway too which is where we had breakfast most mornings. Hotel breakfast was also lovely. Comparing prices from this hotel to others in manhattan it is definitely worth getting this as it isn't far and leaves you more money for shopping! Reception staff were brilliant providing us with maps etc for New York as they knew it was our first time. Also have lockers available to store passports etc. Tea, Coffee, shampoo shower gel etc was restocked every day which was brilliant. Rooms cleaned, tidied and beds made everyday. Brilliant service and would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Better late than never I believe the saying goes! Thank you for taking the time t review the property and your feedback is very much appreciated! Long Island City is a safe place and has become a destination for many travelers seeking a nice place close to NYC with value. I'm glad you were able to take in the sites and the services of the hotel and will certainly pass along your comments to the TEAM, We hope you have a happy Christmas and new year! Thank you for staying with us again and look forward to the next visit to our city close to the city!

sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

We booked this afternoon after losing our seats on our flight to San Francisco and needing another night in NYC. A friend mentioned her parents sometimes stay here. Reception was excellent, Elizabeth gave us goodie bags for the kids as well as ourselves, and she very kindly even lent me her iPhone charger as our baggage was already all gone to San Fran.
A few minutes after getting into our room they brought us a plate of cheese and grapes which was a nice gesture
However, dinner was the worst food I can remember seeing, the buffet and barbequed meat was beyond inedible. All I could face trying was the deep fried fries. Definitely not recommended. I'm a little nervous about breakfast but figure they can't get that so wrong can they?
A bath would have been nice as we have 2 young kids, but other than that all seems fine

• Stayed December 2012
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting with us during your distressed flight time! We appreciate the feedback and apologize for the expereicne in the restaurant. I will be sure to pass on the comments to the Management of the restaurant appreciate if you gave us a call so we could find out a little more infomation at your convenience. I'm delighted that your family was well received and the goodie bags came in handy!

We wish you and your family the very best this holiday season and safe New Year!

Till the next time.....We appreicate you staying with us!

Warmest Regards,23

Been to Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View? Share your experiences!