“Restaurant is excellent!” 4 of 5 stars

Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39-05 29th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Special New York Savings!
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Long Island City
Cumming, Georgia
“Restaurant is excellent!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

I stay in the LIC area quite often. Sometimes at this hotel, sometimes at others (based on availabilty). The key to this hotel is the restaurant. Even when I stay in other hotels, I will walk to this hotel to eat. It dwarfs the food in the Queens/Astoria area. I have yet to eat one thing that I did not like, and if you notice, they have "regulars", mainly business folks, who if they stay at the hotel M-F, they'll eat there at least 2-3 times b/c the food is so good. They also have a wonderful bartender, Durrell. I walk up and he knows what I want to drink, etc., before I have to ask! What a memory.
Again, the restaurant alone is a reason to stay at this hotel. Not to mention the fact that you are 2-3 blocks from the subway to Manhattan.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
griley, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great review of our restaurant, bar, staff and especially Durrell. He is certainly a terrific member of our team and a great ambassador for our establishment. Along with our contemporary American cuisine that we serve, we offer daily and weekly specials as an added variety for those guests and "regulars" such as yourself that stay with us from week-to-week. All at a great price.

And, I will be sure to pass along your compliments to Durrell. We look forward to seeing you when you visit us again.

Greg Riley, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011 via mobile

I chose this hotel based on these great reviews, but have to say I'm pretty disappointed the services and the room. After 15 hours flight, my mom and me had to carry all our luggages by ourselves because the person at the front desk told us no porter service.

The bathroom door doesn't close and makes a huge noise. I wasn't comfortable not close the door when I used the bathroom. The shower room door doesn't close properly, so the puddle of the water on the floor:(

However, the room service was great and food were tasty.

• Stayed July 2011
Dear Guest,

I apologize for any misunderstanding as far as bell or porter service is concerned. While it is correct that we do not offer bell/porter services, this is not something that is typically found at a Holiday Inn. Of course, depending on the time of check-in and if we have more than one person at the front desk and both are not occupied with other job tasks, we would certainly be willing to offer such service.

We also appreciate your comments regarding the maintenance issues and we will seek to resolve those problems immediately. I can assure you that these are not something that normally occur.

As far as your compliments on the room service and food being great, we really appreciate that and I will be certain to make the restaurant and kitchen staff aware of your kind words.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you upon your next visit to the NYC area.

Greg Riley, General Manager
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

I stayed here with 2 friends and was fairly impressed with the hotel. The room was clean and reasonably spacious with a great power shower. Its only a 4 minute walk from 39th street subway which is 15 minutes on the N/R lines to fifth avenue etc. Although I wouldnt walk arand the area alone at night as a woman, for a group of friends I think it was fine and MUCH cheaper than staying in Manhattan = more money to spend on going out and shopping. Furthermore if you are flying into JFK an airport transfer by cab is also cheaper. Overall a good option for those who want to be well located but dont want to spend a small fortune.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
griley, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the nice review. We certainly appreciate the nice things you mentioned about our hotel and thank you for staying with us.

I do want to say, as far as the neighborhood goes, this is a community deep in family and culture with many families being 3rd generation and proud of the many things we have to offer. Long Island City, in Queens, is a great location and is going through a rejuvenation whereby the artists and young adults are moving into the area, while multi-generational families are still living here and there are many new buildings and businesses. It is one of the most diverse areas in the country. Within a short walking distance of 6 - 12 blocks (and it's very safe to do so) you can find Indian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Greek and Brazilian restaurants and stores.

We invite everyone visiting the NYC area to experience the Long Island City area where you can get the "Big Apple Taste, Without The Bite." And as you said, "more money to spend on going out and shopping."
Streamwood, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Just finishing up our stay at the Holiday Inn Long Island City. This hotel is newer, very clean and very quite. We had a partial view of the city. The area is in transition, but we felt safe. Had really good Pizza at Donato's. The subway station is a block away and very convenient to head into NYC. Very easy to get around once in the city. The price of this hotel beats out anything you would pay in Mannhattan. We would definately recommend staying here for not only price and convenience, but the hotel was really nice too. Parking is very limited and only $20 per night, which is cheap in comparision to what others wanted to charge.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights to visit family and attend graduation ceremony in Manhattan. Limited parking but spot was available for $20/nt. (reasonable). Staff was pleasant and helpful. Room was clean and comfortable--15th floor with terrific view. Only short walk to the subway and 3 stops to 5th Avenue and 59th-very convenient. Had breakfast in the hotel the first morning--was just ok and service spotty. Excellent breakfast on day 2 at a greasy spoon on the corner where the subway stop is located--quick service, fresh squeezed OJ, large and tasty portions, and the veteran waitress is pure NY(she's a longshoreman when not waitressing).
We'll be back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights recently and had a wonderful time. The hotel is clean, welcoming and has very friendly staff. Our initail room was on the third floor and was quiet and clean with a fabulous shower room. We upgraded to a 'Manhattan View" room for our last night which cost only 35 dollars extra. As the name suggests, it had a fine view of Manhattan and we were able to take some wonderful sunset and nighttime photographs of the famous skyline.
The breakfasts were excellent as was the room service food. Wifi was provided for free.
The subway is two minutes walk and took us right into Manhattan within 10 minutes.
For convenience and being able to escape the hustle and bustle of the city, this hotel is perfect. The area looks a little run down but it is perfectly safe even at night. There is a very convenient store, for snacks and drinks etc, opposite the hotel which is open until late. When we next visit we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
griley, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the terrific review of our hotel. We understand that people are busy, but for you to take the time out to let us know how much you enjoyed your trip and your stay with us, is very much appreciated. We pride ourselves on our great level of guest service and as you have pointed out, that is recognized by you and many other guests.

We very much look forward to your staying with us when you return to NYC. Please make it a point of looking me up and speaking to me upon your next visit. Thank you again.

Greg Riley
pbarr94413
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel to celebrate our daughter's college graduation. This is a new hotel with lots of charm. We had a corner room with a balcony which had a beautiful view of the city. We were concerned about noise from the subway which is only two blocks away, but honestly can say we were extremely surprised at how quiet it was inside the room. The bathroom is quite large with a beautiful walk-in shower. The bed was very comfortable but would have liked having our own pillows (it's just the way it is). This area is a developing area which means there's not much around the hotel itself, but subway access makes Manhattan easily accessible. Also, taxis are readily available and many restaurants and shops are within reasonable walking distance (mostly located in Astoria). Overall we were very pleased with our stay here. Our only complaint was we wish there has been chairs or seats on the balcony to sit and enjoy the view. Otherwise, we enjoyed our time there and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Upper level rooms have best views.