“Cozy, comfy, clean, convenient” 4 of 5 stars

You added Days Inn Long Island City to your Saves list
Days Inn Long Island City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3136 Queens Blvd., Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Cozy, comfy, clean, convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

We went for a long-weekend romantic getaway, and when budget concerns ruled Manhattan out, we stayed here. For our purposes it was more than adequate. The rooms are small, yes, but for a couple the room with king-size bed was a nice snug nest. An in-room refrigerator and coffee-maker made staying in pleasant, while stepping out was a breeze: the whole city is within reach via an easy 2-block walk west to a subway line that connects to Grand Central Station. Two convenience stores and a pizza parlor are around the corner; other quick-bite options are nearby. The hotel is fairly new, and the room furnishings and appointments likewise. A complimentary continental breakfast (coffee, various danishes) is offered. Free in-room wi-fi is available, and for those flying out, free internet access (located in the breakfast nook) makes printing a boarding pass easy. A fitness center is available. The hotel has both smoking and non-smoking rooms. There is free parking, but there are only 16 spaces, so don't count on it. The hotel is located on the corner of Thomson and Queens Boulevard. An advance-purchase reservation offers very good value. Overall we were quite pleased and would happily return.
But it wasn't perfect. Water pressure in both the faucet and shower was meager; this is likely beyond the hotel's control. Guest service is somewhat spotty: housekeeping twice neglected to replenish our in-room coffee. The hotel has no restaurant on-site. Noise was not a problem for us, but the other side of the hotel does face the elevated train tracks, and some reviews have complained of that. Still, for the value, comfort, and convenience of the location, we can recommend this hotel for others seeking an affordable alternative to Manhattan.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

373 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

Very small rooms, hardly any room to unpack, VERY LIMITED OR NO PARKING,Trash and big stains all over the corridors, Subway train passes every min right beside your bedroom windows. Wont be able to sleep all night. The hotel manager and the front desk clerk (day time) need to go and take some Customer Service classes. They do not smile or say Thank you. They do not even look at you, when you need their service. They seem too busy arguing with guest at all times.It is a very common trend there. However, the night clerk, "Syed" was very nice and helpful in everyway. Felt bad when I saw some guests are arguing and screeming at him about parking and other unkown issues. The area is shady however very close to the train staion.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

Worst experience of my life
So i will try to make this very long and complicated story as shot as possible. let me start off by saying that i am a flight attendant, and that i spend more time in hotel room beds than i do my own. That being said, this was the first time i have ever encountered a situation like this. on the second night of our 4 night stay, my boyfriend and i discovered bedbugs on the pillow, under the pillows, and when i pulled the sheets of the mattress, we found more bedbugs. now when i checked in i checked the bed for signs of bedbugs and found none, so finding them on the second night was unexpected. we immediately removed our stuff from around the bed, and called the front desk. the attendant said, sorry, i will give you a new room, i even had to ask him to bring us the key, he wanted me to go downstairs to get it. we moved our stuff, temporarily, there's no way we were gonna stay there, after checking the room, and still having bedbugs, who's to say that all the rooms don't have them. I went down stairs to talk to the manager Rahul ...when i told him that i was the one who had the bedbugs in my room, he said, `thanks for telling me.` That's it!!!, i proceeded to tell him that i wanted a refund and that i wasn't going to stay here another night. he told me sory, your room is non refundable. after discussing back and forth for a while in the lobby, he sent me back to my room to call Expedia. he wouldnt even let me use the phone in the lobby to make a call. so after talking to Expedia, they said they would refund me my money but they needed approval from the hotel, so they called the hotel manager, who i had just spoken to, he then denied the refund. i immediately called Days inn customer care and asked them to refund me my money, they were also no help and said that because it`s a franchise location they are not able to make those decisions. Thank you Melanie, from customer care presidential office!!! i went back to the lobby, furious, because he made me go up stairs, waste my time calling Expedia, when he very well knew he was going to deny the refund anyways. at this point my convo with him wasn't as pleasant as before, there was another gentleman in the lobby who over heard , and said he had the same problem, he was in town for a funeral, and only supposed to stay 2 nights, but he couldn't even handle that, after the first night he too wanted a refund,and change of hotels. after the gentleman walks away to call days inn corporate, the manager starts talking about him, in front of me and other hotel room guest, how very professional of him. i wonder what he said about me when i walked away. the manager kept telling me that he cannot give me a refund and that my new room was "good". how would they know, from they time it took the front desk attendant to make a new room key and bring it up stairs there's no way he could have checked the room. he was the only one on shift at the time. then the cleaning lady who "cleaned" the first room we were in, had no idea there were bedbugs. the manager allowed her to go in and clean up with out taking the proper steps to prevent spread of the bugs. and with out taking precautions for her own safety. I, for the third time called days inn customer care, and they again did nothing for me, both the hotel manager and the customer care people did nothing for me, and left me in the lobby of the bedbug infested hotel crying, broke, and homeless.
I want to make it very clear that the Days Inn is a terrible company, and they have no accountability for what their franchise owners do, and that their customer care department (Melanie, from the presidential office) are the most unhelpful customer service agents i have ever encountered. only one of the women i spoke to was understanding of the situation, and truly felt bad for me. but again wasn't able to do anything. And the staff of the days inn, primarily the manager Rahul B... are the most unprofessional, inexperienced and rude staff i have ever had the bad luck of dealing with. I will be filing a lawsuit against the Days inn Long Island city franchise, If anyone out there reading this has had the same experience please email me at ---------@-----, or even if you would like more info about my experience feel free to write me.

• Stayed July 2010
Brno, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

I was there on vacation and every day go to Manhattan with metro which is close (just on the other side of bridge). On northeast USA vacation I been in 3 hotels but this was the best and very cheap about $80 / night for 3 people.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Utrecht, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

Stayed here for two nights and although we didn't have any big expectations about this place we found it to be a big mess. The guy at the front desk wasn't very talkative, and looked like he really hated his job. The room was tiny room and had a filthy carpet. It looked as if they didn't vacuum it for weeks and there were molds in the bathroom. The TV remote didn't work but that wasn't a big deal to us as we spent most of our time in Manhattan anyway.

There is a subway station located near to the hotel which takes to downtown in only 15 minutes.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Fort Collins, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

We had checked out the reviews for this hotel before we booked and it got 3.5 stars, but honestly we don't know how anyone could've given this place a good review. I'm not picky, but I've stayed in Motel 6's that were far better than this. It's definetely not what you expect from days inn. Warning for families or friends traveling together and sharing a room. They say they sleep 1-4 people but the rooms are tiny, and the opportunity to get a double bed room is slim to none. Our room had a king size bed in it and only enough room for one person to get around it at a time. There was no room for luggage unless you are a single or couple staying, and even then you'd have to put your suitcase on the top of the mini fridge to keep it out of the way. There were 3 of us girls in one room and we 3 had to sleep in a king size bed together. Don't let the photos decieve you, they've obviously used a good camera angle so you can't see how tiny the room is. I have never seen a hotel room so small. In one of our other rooms, the toilet had no toilet seat. When we informed the front desk (at 10 pm when we got there), they said housekeeping must have missed it. They had no other rooms available to switch us to and said there is a public bathroom on the 1st floor we could use. I'm sorry, but as a female there was no way I was going to go to a public bathroom on a different floor in the middle of the night... just unacceptable. They also said it would be fixed the next day or they would move us into another room if it didn't get taken care of. When we got back the next night from sight seeing, there was still no toilet seat and they said all rooms were booked. The breakfast area is small, though that is the least of our complaints. And the neighborhood isn't horrible. We drove to the hotel the first day, and can't say we liked the neighborhood we had to go through to get there and we were concerned, but getting on and off the subway 2 blocks up wasn't bad. Customer service is very poor. The place is dirty. The elevator floor was dirty when we got there and just got dirtier the next few days and wasn't cleaned during our stay. One of our rooms was also in the basement near where they keep their laundry and cleaning carts. The carpet was stained and the bed sheets, while laundered, still showed blood stains.

We definitely would not recommend this hotel to anyone... the price might be lower than other hotels, but for what kind of service we got it just wasn't worth even a discounted price. If we could've canceled after the first night and found another place we would've, but they already charge your credit card and won't let you out of your reservation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

We stayed here for 1 week in May 2010, and in all fairness, the location was decent; close to the subway. The room we were in definitely was small, but paid a decent price for 2 people.

However...
On one day of sightseeing, I had accidently left my iphone in my room. I figured, no big deal I won't use it a lot anyway and we went about our day. Of course when we came back to the room the phone was nowhere to be found. We immediately went to the front desk to see if they had found one and they said they hadn't. They informed us there is only one cleaning lady and they were going to contact her to see if she found anything. Since she didn't speak english, it took her awhile to respond saying she hadn't seen it. They contacted the laundry company and they hadn't found one either. The front desk manager said to me "You shouldn't leave your valuables in your room." That really irritated me because I consider most things I own valuable to me and there should be a certain level of trust that everything you came with will still be in your room at the end of the day. They don't expect us to walk around NYC hauling our luggage, right?

The facilities were ok, but the service I received in helping locate my phone was sub-par and for that reason alone I wouldn't go back.

I spent an hour on the phone with the manager who said his name was Rahul and he was borderline out of line talking to me and I was not impressed at the service he provided, or actually didn't provide. We contacted the legal department at Days Inn but they said since they are individually owned there was nothing they could do. So if you plan to stay here, just be careful of what you leave in the room whether it be by accident or on purpose.

Note: I plan on posting this review at as many review sites as I can to get the word out. So if you see this duplicated, know that it is not auto-generated by someone trying to "bash" the hotel for no particular reason. I'm a real human who had an unfortunate encounter with this hotel. :)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Days Inn Long Island City? Share your experiences!