“Pictures Are a Joke, This Place is Terrible” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
New York City, New York
“Pictures Are a Joke, This Place is Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Keeping this short and sweet, housekeeping catches up on each other's evenings at 7:30 a.m. right in front of your room. I asked three times to keep it down to no avail. They put us in a basement and the hotel is nowhere near what was advertised. Save your money people and do not stay here. Rooms are small.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms upstairs
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Lausanne, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Yep, it's one of those hotels you pay overly expensive in New York and don't get anything positive from it. (Paid 150 plus tax)

First off, I arrived exhausted from the airport and wanted to take a shower before going to sleep and shower was not working.

Second, I wanted to check my emails for the following morning and WIFI was not working and took until the next morning for it to work (some server issues). There was nothing near like starbuck or café shop with internet.

Third, the place was smelly and noisy with pollution from cars and metro passing infront of my window.

Fourth, breakfast was mostly junk food like donuts, sweet cereals, no orange just very sweet & cheap apple jus, fruits just apples and oranges, no bread no bagels, cheap cafe, frozen eggs... and the list goes on

I felt more exhausted then the previous night and decided to go elsewhere after asking for a second night and they wanted to charge me 185 plus tax(thursday is a weekend price!), and did not want to give me discount on the previous price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hutchinson, KS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed here because of the proximity to the subway MTA 7 train. It was convenient, and the rooms were clean. The problems are that the rooms are quite small, including the dining area which never had enough room to sit any of the 4 mornings that we were there. The spacious photos on the website... yeah not in the rooms that we stayed in.

The proximity to the subway is both a blessing and a curse. If you are on the north side of the hotel, you hear it all night. The south side isn't so bad.

The elevator in the hotel is quite small, and the second-slowest elevator that I've ever ridden on. We took the stairs quite a bit because it was faster and easier.

Speaking of the elevator, it also dings every time that it hits your floor. The hotel is so small that you hear that bell all night long. You also hear every single door in the hotel, as they're set to slam quite hard.

As far as safety goes, I wouldn't want my wife or daughters staying there alone. During the week there's lots of kids going to the community college across the street, so there's a sense of safety. On the weekends however they are all missing and it's pretty dark and quiet on the 2 block walk from the MTA to the hotel.

On a final note about service, we asked the front desk to hold our bags for a couple of hours since we had a late flight home. They refused saying that they didn't have room. Technically that's probably true, but it's still frustrating that after spending $500 with them they weren't about to do anything to help us out.

Room Tip: The south side away from the tracks seemed quieter. Pick something on a lower floor so you can just...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Orange Park, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Pathetic service, pathetic location and the world smallest room.
1. I wonder why Americans are never managers of hotels or motels, for all the countries I have visited the person at the front desk is from that country with that said the front office staff sucked. A fellow traveler asked a simple question and the manager on duty was too busy on his cell phone to help.
2. Who ever thought of putting a Days Inn at the location should have been shot. If you ever watched the Blues Brother and saw where Jaked lived you will know what I mean. I stood at the window and I know if you kept your blinds open those on the subway could see you.
3. I had a suitcase and did not have any room to put it anywhere. I had a double room with four people if they eached carried a suitcase I would not even be able to tell you where you could put them. The room was so small three pizza boxes could not be placed anywhere without getting in the way.
I read the other comments. My first reaction is that I am from the southern states and would never ever come back to New York. Only for a day trip or if I had $5000 for a upscale room. I enjoyed New York City except where the tourists are (which I was one but.) The stupid people dressed as imaginary creatures, where they force you to have your picture taken with them and then asking for a tip. New York City is a great visit for one day.

Room Tip: Think about this. How many peoples feet, food and liquids have been on the carpet you are standing...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Days Inn Long Island City? Share your experiences!