“Great experience!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Long Island City
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Great experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Our first trip to NYC, and a college visit to Hofstra on Long Island. I'm shocked to read the bad reviews because I couldn't disagree more! If you're looking for the Ritz.....then go to the Ritz!! Anyone looking for a "quiet" place in New York City is dreaming, the traffic and hussle/bussle is part of the experience. This is a Days Inn and it is much nicer than I expected. Yes, it is in a very busy area, but I knew that going in and chose this hotel because of it's easy access to the rail lines. A 3 minute walk to the 7 train or a 5-6 minute walk to the subway will get you anywhere you want to go. The man at the front desk was so accommodating!! He printed out a train schedule for us and accurately directed us to all of our destinations. When I had a headache at 2:00 am, he ran around the corner and bought some Advil since they didn't have any at the desk, and didn't charge me for it saying it is something they are supposed to provide. Then, when we had a late flight out, he let us leave our luggage in the office for free while we spent our last day in the city. When I tried to tip him, he wouldn't take it. The room is small, but ALL rooms are small in NY!! It has granite and marble bathrooms and nicely updated decor. The breakfast was very good and gave us a great start to each day. For the price and location, you can hardly beat this place. Anything better would easily cost an additional $100+ per night.

Room Tip: It's literally steps away from the elevated train, and on a heavy traffic corner in Queens. It...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Ausin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This was my second time to visit NYC so i decided to stay closer to Manhattan that when i was here the first time. When we checked in the 2 guys running the front desk were very unfriendly and were very hard to understand. They spoke broken english and never made us feel welcome.
They gave us one of the few (maybe 10) rooms in the cellar. To our surprise we walk down to the cellar and discover many many trash bags and linen from all the room against all the walls in the cellar. We litterally had to step over them. The cellar was the maids area and where all the crap ends up. Within 2 feet of our door was bags of dirty towels. Disgusting! When we enter our room we were shocked to see how small it was. OMG..we were 2 ft from 2 walls and 2 feet from the dresser with the tv on it. There was a small window that was at street level that allowed all the noise from traffic and trains to come into our rooms. The bathroom was even smaller.
Our linens were dirty with lots of hair on them. Wall were water stained.
With 2 people it would have been ok...3 people was just too tight of a squeeze.
The heating unit and thermostat didnt work and we had to call the "rude" guys upstairs to come fix it. They did some hocus pocus and made it work.
The breakfast area was a JOKE. 4 small 2X2 ft tables for the entire hotel. Most people got their food and left to their rooms. The community wifi computer was also in this room.

Overall... spend a little more and avoid this place.

Positives: very close to the Subway station (2 blks) 7-11 next door.

Room Tip: Do not let them give you a cellar room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Delaware, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

On my first trip to NYC, we made the mistake of booking a room at this Days Inn. As I went to leave my room, I pushed on the door to make sure that it was latched and the door pushed open. My door wouldn't latch. I asked to be placed into another room for obvious safety/security reasons and was told that they had no more rooms. After spending 4 hours on talking to people at the hotel and at the coroporate office, I asked to simply cancel my reservation and I would find another hotel. Days Inn refused to refund my money because walking in the door constitutes a stay. It cost me $110 to get out of that place. As for the room itself...it was awful. Just enough room to cramp the bed in. Floors were dirty and had pieces of trash laying in the corners. This place was so terrible, that not only will I never stay at this specific hotel ever again, I will never stay at a Days Inn ever again.

Room Tip: Rooms not in this hotel should be prefered.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Queens, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Check in was a real breeze I booked using priceline I don't think it took me 5 minutes to check in. Hotel is located 2 blocks from the #7 train which will take you to time square and rockafeller center. Taxi rides to most attractions were under 50 bucks round trip. Room was kind of cramped but I am a big person and the size of the bed and the flat screen tv made up for that small inconvenience. The room and the rest of the hotel was clean and modern. My room was #609 and I was not bothered at all by the noisy near by train. Tho walking distance to restaurants is rather limited there are plenty in the area that will deliver which I took advantage of on a daily basis. The hotel is also located right next door to a 7/11 where you can get soft drinks or a quick snack or coffee if you miss the continental breakfast.. As for the bed I chose a room with a king size and wow was it comfortable that is one thing I am going to miss when I go back home tomorrow. The neighborhood was very crowded and busy but that is the norm for New York however you are not bothered by the noise inside your room. The staff was very friendly and not rude at all.

Bottom Line: If you are looking for a cheap close to Manhattan hotel then this is the ideal one for you. If you are looking for 5 star amenities and a large room you might want to look else ware but you will also pay for it.

Room Tip: Try to get room 609 or 611 and you wont be bothered by the train noise. Room 611 might even offer a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Checking in the first day I was given a key that when I went up to the room, already had other people's belongings in it. When I went back down to the lobby the person on duty checked a piece of paper for about a minute and then gave me the re-coded keys to another room. No apologies whatsoever. Just a bad sign of customer service right from the start. Now I didn't start checking out the things of the first room I was given so I don't know if the bags I saw were garbage left behind or they were actually someone else's personal belongings but I thought at least surely the person on duty would apologize for making a mistake of giving access to someone else's belongings to a random person and show some remorse. At this point I'm thinking this guy doesn't care that I could have robbed one of his other guests, so he's not going to care about what else was going on in his hotel. Unfortunately I have a list of a few more things...

When we had checked into our room there was a trolley in the hallway for room service who were cleaning rooms on our floor at the time. When we got back to the room about 7 hours later the trolley was still there. Seemed weird that the sixth floor was being used as a storage closet for room service. I hoped since they'll go out of their way to show us that rooms are being cleaned the room would be in better condition than it was. First off on the bed skirt there was an odd splash stain at the bottom. Surprisingly it was even on both bed's skirts. It wasn't even a stain, it was somehow crusted on.

When I had decided to lay down in bed I saw a hair immediately. I was already in bed now so I could give the benefit of the doubt that it was actually my hair though. That's when I saw the toe nail clipping. With toe nail dirt underneath. Definitely not mine.

Not relating to the cleanliness of the room the shower was also broken. I can't imagine with so many things wrong with one room they could have shown me another room at all better.

We had chosen this hotel because staying in Manhattan would have been too expensive and it was very close to the subway. It was not a fair trade off for everything that happened wrong with the hotel and next time I will definitely listen to my first instinct rather than "it's just for one night and we won't even spend time in the room!"

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different building
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Days Inn Long Island City? Share your experiences!