“Great choice for a New York stay” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40-03 29th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Great choice for a New York stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

This is the 4th and best hotel I've stayed in in the Long Island City area in the last 4 months. Check-in was painless. My room wasn't ready (I was early), but there was prompt secure storage of my luggage. No matter who was on duty at reception, there was always a pleasant smile and a "have a nice day/evening" as I went out. The breakfast choice was fine and the room was kept very clean by staff during the breakfast service. Computer access was OK except that the old-fashioned roller-ball computer mice are a problem without mouse pads. The rooms were comfortable (walls a little thin, perhaps), and kept clean and tidy. All of the housekeeping staff were good, some were outstanding and I certainly noticed the difference. I used the exercise room daily and I was happy with that. One suggestion...provide towels in the exercise room and a working water device. I had some minor quibbles: there were some television reception issues during my stay (but I don't go to New York to watch television, so it wasn't a biggie); I was suprised that there was no folder containing information about the hotel, facilities, television channels, location of nearest subway lines etc. This would be a cheap, easy thing to make up and would only need to be 4-5 photocopied pages. I appreciated the on-going free coffee in the lobby area. Finally, when I asked to see a suite so that I could book for later in the year, there was someone at reception within a minute to show me around -great service. A super experience and at a great rate. It certainly punches above its weight.

1,063 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

Good room, good location with good public tansit and reasonable price. Look at the website and thats what you will get including how the picture looks. Pro's and Cons depending on what room you get( big differences). Most important and not mentioned is the great management . Pete and Tom will bend over backwards to make things work . But sadly If they only knew what "some" of their employees were getting away with. If my boss caught me intimidating a guest or kicking over their belongings after it was dropped I would be fired on the spot. You"ll be able to tell since they tend to be the one's that fell asleep on the job, rude as hell or you can't find them when they are at work. email me and Ill be more than happy to list the who's who and what the pros and cons are. After all I've been here twice and long enough to see,hear and experience.

Alma, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

I've stayed at many hotels in the NYC area over the last 15 years. This is by far the best combination of quality, price, and location I've found.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

I feel bad for taking so many months to write a review but I had an absolutely great experience at the Verve. It was good from the get go. The manager Tom kept us company while we waiting for our room to be ready (we were early). He told us about the city and took us to the roof top and even took pictures for us. The breakfast was awesome, plenty of choices. Tom made everyone eating breakfast sing happy birthday to my cousin, that was pretty hilarious. The location is great also as long as you get off at the better of the two subway stops (can't remember the stop name right now that you should take). Tom filled us in about that after we were there. The person on the phone told us the worser of the two stops and it was hell trying to get there, walking thru the construction zone with a wheeling suitcase.

I think my only semi complaint is that our pull out sofa did not have clean bedding. We didn't know that until we went to sleep at 4am, then we had to go down to the front dest to get new bedding. The front desk girl had no personality. Tom's however pretty much made up for hers and the dirty bedding.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel to others and stay there again myself. I feel like it's a hidden gem.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

I stayed at the hotel for a week with a friend. The rooms were clean, and service was fast and excellent. The people were kind and helpful, They helped us in every way. The breakfast was good and varied. There are subway stations are very nearby and make travel to any place in Manhattan easily accessible with minimum switches. The place was well maintained and clean especially the bedrooms which were comfortable and cozy. They have fun entertainment center as well with a pool table and air-hockey which was fun to do and fitness center also very nice. I enjoyed my stay thank you Verve hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

staff was very accomodating and hotel was extremely clean. the fact that its so close to manhattan makes it an ideal spot to stay and enabled us to the get the times square experience without paying times square prices!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

Husband and I went to NY for a 4 day vacation. Verve was the perfect place to stay. Staff was excellent. Very informative and helpful with directions, advice, tips, etc. Tom and Ellie (and the rest of the staff) were super. Read a couple of reviews about the "safety" of the area. We walked to the subway everyday and back again every night (way after dark). Never had a bit of trouble or even felt uncomfortable. Rooms were very comfortable. Bigger than I had hoped. King bed was awesome. My only complaint was the coffee machine which was a multi-beverage dispenser. A regular machine just for coffee would be way better. All said, I would highly recommend the Verve. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection? Share your experiences!