“Verve Hotel was a gem in a bit of a rough neighborhood” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40-03 29th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Long Island City
Richmond, Virginia
“Verve Hotel was a gem in a bit of a rough neighborhood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

Verve Hotel was so worth it. The room was beautiful, the bed was really comfortable, and the service was exceptional. Tom, the manager, was really helpful to us and so was the front desk staff. The complimentary breakfast was wonderful, and made us feel really at home. We used the free computers/internet, and really appreciated that. We got a bit lost the first time we went to Verve (should have called or e-mailed for directions) but once we figured it out it was easy, and such a quick, direct trip to Times Square. We thought the neighborhood was a bit sketchy but had no problems whatsoever. We will definitely go back to Verve !

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Yeovil, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

This is an Excellent hotel, we did worry that it would be to far away from the main attractions of the city but it was fab, there are several subways just a walk away that our very quick and easy to use and it was nice escaping the hussle and bussle of the city to rest.
The welcoming we got was very friendly and the staff go out of there way to help you. The rooms are very clean and spacious with all the extras you may need eg..dressing gowns, toiletries... and they get cleaned daily. Breakfast is excellent,with freshly made waffles most mornings:-) Tom the infomation guy was very knowledgable and can help you with anything you need to know and get you tickets for a yankees game:-)
Free..... wireless, hot chocolate, coffee machine, ice mashine, gym, laundary.
Overall an excellent hotel worth every penny and we most definatly we stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I booked a room at the Verve for two reasons: My daighter recently moved from midtown to Long Island City, and the recommendations I saw on TripAdvisor. I foulnd the hotel to be quiate a nice oasis in Queens/LIC. The staff was very welcoming. In fact, I arrived two hours earlier than the posted check-in time, and our room was not quite ready. I'm thinking - no problem, but the manager re-assigned his cleaning staff and the room was ready in just a few minutes. On another day, the owner of the property was in the lobby making waffles for the customers and hotel employees. The bed and bed linens are vewry comfortable, and the rooms are quiet and peaceful. This hotel bills itself as a "boutique" hotel, but it's accomodations are more like a Hampton Inn. The complimenary breakfast is decent (could these places ever have "real" scrambled eggs?). The hotel is just 2 blocks from a subway stop (Queensboro Plaza), and just one subway stop away from midtown/Central Park. You can quickly get to midtown, Central Park, Times Square in 15-20 minutes, and save $$$ over similiar properties in Manhattan. Hotel is clean, although surrounding neighborhood is a bit trashy. However, the area is undergoing a rehabilitation, as old factories are being converted to lofts and apartments. One negative to this property is the bath linens. They have some of the cheapest quality towels I have ever encountered at a hotel. Still - I will stay again, as the cleanliness of the property and the friendliness of the staff are excellent!

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

We had a great time at the hotel until we got home and checked my credit card. I was charged $50 for an alleged missing pillow. My husband and I had no way of taking a pillow as we traveled to NYC on a bus and only stayed one night so we had only a backpack and small tote bag with us (no room for a pillow!). When I called to challenge the charge, I was told there was nothing they could do, I would have to call back and speak to a manager. When I called back I was told the manager was not in, but then was transferred to someone who could help me.

Currently, I am waiting two days to call back and check on the status of this as the person I spoke to is going to review their security tapes to see if I actually did take the pillow.

Despite a good stay, I have never had such ridculous customer service. Accusing your customers of stealing a pillow and then arguing with them and treating them worse than criminals when they challenge it.

Our friends were considering this hotel for their wedding guests and have now decided to go elsewhere.

FOLLOW UP: I spoke with Tom, the manager who has agreed to refund the money I was charged for the pillow. He was very helpful and understanding of why I was so upset.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Gmny330, General Manager at Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection, responded to this review, August 2, 2010
Dear HRS843, Your statement about good hotel and customer service is appreciated. For your information whenever housekeeping department reports about missing items or damage in the room, we charge the guest appropriately, some guest do take pillows, bathrobes,alarm clockes towels etc. or smoke in the rooms, we at verve hotel take these matters seriously, and charge the guest for these misconducts. When you called and requested that you did not take the pillow you were advised to give us 48 hours so we can look in to this matter , we do not have perfect way to find out about these, because guest put these items in their bags, luggage or suitcase inside the privacy of their room. we requested you that you will get a refund after we verify whatever we can. and your money was refunded as per your request . This is a great customer service. most hotels do not refund, because at the time of check-in guest signs a registration card accepting any damages or missing items will be charged to that guest. Once again thank you for staying with us.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

I had a wonderful stay at the Verve Hotel. The service was excellent and the staff was a pleasure. It is a great place to stay. I would recommend this place to travelers who are looking to stay near NYC without paying NYC rates.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

I stayed here for 5 days. 2 days in queen, 2 days in King and 1 day in Suite. The service was high. The staff are very good, fun to talk, dedicated and hospitable. The Rooms were full of amenities and room service was very exceptional. The location is excellent as there are three subway station at walking distance. The complimentary breakfast had a lot of variety and was savory.

I loved my stay and I would definately stay here again when I come back to NY.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

The staff bends over backwards to please the guests which is nice. However, I witnessed the owner, pete, harassing the cleaning staff and was horrified. He used "F... you" to girls young enough to behis daughters. He used racial slurs. He was extremely discriminatory. Turns out these young workers are new to the country, refugees, who have been here for less than half a year. The hotel management hires as many of them as possible at less than minimum wages and for a few hours each week, and mistreats them. If they leave (which they can;t easily), there are others at hand to fill the place. Some management staff are ok, but the owner seems to have gotten the rich bug biting him.

This place deserves to be investigated for discrimination under OSHA.

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Gmny330, Owner at Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
This review is based on false assumptions, overdramatized and is totally incorrect , a housekeeping employee had cleaned a room and during our pre-arrival room inspection, we found uncleaned sink and countertop consisting of many hair and soap scum which is totally unacceptable. How would you feel if you had checked -in to a dirty room in a hotel? The overall room was not cleaned properly according to our high standards and reputation of being the #1 hotel in Queens. We at the Verve hotel take great pride in keeping our room extremely clean for our guests, which can be verifed by our excellent guest comments on trip advisor. The employees are paid in accordance with the State Wages Act. Our payroll is managed by a Pay Check Company which is one of the biggest payroll companies in USA. All employees are paid by check after deducting appropriate taxes. So your accusation of paying them below minimum wages is absolutely incorrect because the payroll company will not process a check for under minimum wages. Furthermore all employees are treated fairly at our hotel irrespective of their religion,race and colour. Few of the housekeeping employees have been hired through the International Rescue Committee supported by United Nations which helps new legal immigrants have an opportunity to find good legal and proper jobs in America, and we highly support this great cause. Also I am sure you had seen during your stay how diverse and rich in culture our front desk , housekeeping and maintenance team is, so being racist is out of the question as well sir. I have not been bit by a "rich bug" like you stated, but rather bit by the dedication of keeping the hotel clean and comfortable for all my guests. That is my and the employees mission statement if you have any questions dont hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Been to Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection? Share your experiences!