“High expectations were met...recommended!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40-03 29th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
Minnesota
“High expectations were met...recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

Attending the US Open for 4 days meant that we would not be spending much time in a hotel, so I *really* didn't want to pay a minimum of $300 to stay in Manhattan....or really close to Flushing Meadows. Based on reviews here, we decided to try the Verve.

It was as most of the reviewers said....
1) pretty convenient to the subway 5 minute walk to Queens Plaza, 10 minute walk to Queensboro Plaza (better for express connections to Flushing or Manahattan).

2) Very reasonably priced at around $144 (AAA rate).

3) The hotel *felt* much more expensive than it was.. The complimentary breakfast and wireless were *very* appreciated...and were something we weren't used to getting in Manhattan at much higher priced hotels.

4) The staff was friendly and helpful....from the front desk staff, to the housekeeping staff.

side note: The safe in our room happened to have the door lock activated but open....I never got around to asking the staff about it, so I left my laptop in there with the door partially closed... never had a problem.

We had to study our subway map a bit to get comfortable with how to get around... we're not used to that method of travel. Once we found the two nearby subway stations, we were set. We walked back twice from the stations at nearly 2 am. We had no unfriendly interactions with any people, and a couple of local people offered help as we tried to figure out our subway travel. I will say that if you, like us, were not used to a big city feel, and industrial part of the town, it's something you have to get used to. It's not the same as being in downtown Manhattan. I would do it again though; I recommend it for lodging in this area of the City if you're looking to keep lodging costs down, but not compromise on the quality of lodging.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

Let me preface this by saying that my husband and I are the lowest maintenence hotel guests you can possibly imagine. We just want to check in and be left alone. We even don't even ask for a wake-up call. This is a long story, but believe me, it was longer as we were living it. Anyway, here's what happened to us:

We decided to stay at the Verve Hotel after reading all of the great reviews. I'll admit that the rooms were clean, and the hotel itself felt very safe. The neighborhood is iffy, and it's far enough away from the subway that I probably wouldn't walk late at night by myself. During the day, or with someone else, it's fine.

The parking garage is a nice amenity, but it's cramped, and has a very awkward turn that (judging from the banged up walls) many cars aren't able to make. There was a $10 fee.

Check in was fine - pleasant, even. The man at the front desk was very nice, and even offered to go down to the garage to put our parking pass on the car for us. Unnecessary, but very nice of him, anyway. We got to the room and took a nap for about an hour. When we woke up, by husband noticed that the curtains were coming loose from the ceiling. We were leaving for dinner in about 20 minutes, but when we called down to the desk they assured us that someone would come up in 5-10 minutes. Fine. 25 mintues later, we were running late, and no one had come by yet. So we called down again, and someone came after another 5 minutes. He handed me the parking pass that the front desk guy was supposed to put on my car and said to me "You forgot this." No, I didn't....The man who came in smelled so strongly of smoke, that it filled our entire room, and remained even after he had left - which he did because he needed to get someone from "maintenance" to fix the window dressing. At this point, we told him we were already late and had to leave, so we would take another room so that they could fix this one whenever they got around to it. No, no he assured us it would be fixed soon.

He brought back 2 "maintenance" guys, neither of which had tools. The three of them stood around for another 5-10 minutes until one of them (the man who checked us in, actually) went to get a ladder and a screwdriver. At this point, the smokey man and the other guy discussed right in front of us how the room couldn't have been damaged before our arrival because housekeeping would have noticed. It must have happened after we arrived....Great. Are you blaming me? Yes - I pulled down the curtains in my room so that we could stand around and miss our dinner reservations. That's exactly what happened, you figured it out. :(

10 minutes later, my husband and I were livid - we had to leave immediately - couldn't we just get another room so that they could take as much time as they needed to fix it? No, they didn't have any other rooms - all they had left were suites, and since we booked online, they could only give us the same room we booked. WHAT? But they'd be happy to fix it while we were out. With the door wide open. And 3 guys in our room. With my computer sitting out. No - not acceptable.

The other guy finally came back, decided that they couldn't fix the window with a screwdriver, and said to the smokey man - "Ok. Give them the other room." We were then escorted to an empty room EXACTLY like the one we had originally....Wait...I thought they didn't have any rooms? Guess that was a lie. Great.

We got back late that night. The beds were hard, but acceptable. At 10:30 the next morning, as we were packing up to leave, the phone in our room rang. Great. What now? It was the front desk "reminding" us that check out is at 11. In all my life staying in hotels, I have never received a call from the front desk essentially telling me to get out. Don't worry - we'll leave, and we're never coming back. To be perfectly honest, we had a better stay at the Super 8 motel down the road - and they rent rooms by the hour.

We were between the Verve and the Comfort Inn for this trip - honestly I don't know if I would stay there, either, knowing that they are both owned by the same parent company. If the management of the hotel is willing to take some classes in running a business, it might be ok to stay there. Until then, find another hotel.

Clintin, IA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

We were visiting our daughter in Queens. She decided she wanted to stay with us the first and last night and had checked in to a hide-a bed for those nights. When we checked in, the manager was there and decided it would be nice if our daughter could stay for the whole week, so he upgraded us to a two room suite at no additional charge.
The entire staff treated us like royalty for the whole week. The rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious. The breakfast was more varied that most Choice hotels.
Two subway stations are an easy 5 minute walk away. (My wife has back problems so it might have been closer to 10 minutes, but it was still convenient.)
I've read some reviews that talked about the neighborhood. It is somewhat industrial, but the people are friendly. I'd recommend a visit to Dena's Coffee Shop about a block and a half towards Queen's Plaza on 29th St. Excellent Greek food and friendly banter from Dmitri (aka Jimmy), Dena's son.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

Stayed at the Verve Hotel in mid August, was intrigued by the good reviews on Tripadvisor, even though one reviewer was concerned about staying in an area that was partly industrial.. Arrived late in the afternoon and we were impressed immediately with the newness and good look of the place. Had no difficulty checking in and found the rooms to be spacious and containing small fridge, microwave (only for 2 bed rooms & suites). Wife was impressed with the quality Crabtree and Evelyn shampoo/conditioner, body wash, etc. Beds were very comfortable and aircon was excellent, particularly when we arrived and the temperatures in the late 80 to early 90 degree fahrenheit (28 - 35 C).
Only booked for two nights as plans took us elsewhere but we wanted to see what the hotel was like because we wanted to come back to New York for our final week in the US.
After the two nights we were sold on this hotel and confirmed our booking for a further 5 nights. The staff were fantastic when we explained to them that we didn't want to take our large suitcases with us on our weekend trip and they kindly stored them in a back room which gave us so much more freedom! On our return late on the Sunday there was a slight problem because our room wasn't ready but that was sorted out within 30 mins.
The rest of our stay was really nice, the breakfast each morning (included) was substantial, including cereals, flat sausages, scrambled egg, hard boiled egg, fruit...so much to choose from and tasty. The location of the hotel is not that bad, we used the subway all the time and it was a short walk to Queens Plaza or Queensboro Plaza if you wanted to get on the Times Sq line.. Only 2 stops and you were in Manhattan but the price we paid was less than half of that when we first arrived in New York and stayed at the Courtyard Midtown Manhattan. Had one interesting incident coming back on the subway later on a Saturday night when 2 hoodlums followed us through the subway but they just made stupid comments and stopped when we ignored them.
You cannot go wrong with this hotel, the staff are terrific and the accommodation very good value!
TIP: Got some dinner delivered to our room from the nearby Entourage restaurant and was happily surprised at the good food at reasonable cost.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

We stayed in a room with 2 Queens for 4 nights and were very happy. Comfy beds and very efficient room. My 15 yr old used the work out room and was happy to have this facility. Great breakfast corner with more than you would expect. Staff was very helpful when you needed help. I visited the suites and would likely take this next time for 4 of us. We used both subways - the 39th and Queensboro plaza and bought an unlimited use card - very practical.

Convenience store 2 minutes away. The hotel is surrounded by churches so even if the area possibly looks weird, we never felt unsafe.

We did In the Heights, Altar Boyz, Accomplice, The Met, Central Park Walk, Times Square , A Mets Game, Visited Junction Boul Queens for shopping, Manhattan Mall, Restaurant Row... etc...

Enjoy New York !

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Cooperstown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

Stayed here with my family when we were in Queens visiting my son. The staff were friendly and the place was spotless. Our room was spacious and beautiful. Free breakfast in the morning made this a great deal.. Short walk to the subway - 10 minutes later we were shopping in Manhatten. Will stay here again !

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

We stayed one night at the Verve hotel. We booked a room with a jacuzzi and when we got the room we were so impressed. The jacuzzi is in the bedroom. I like that look instead of being in the bathroom. Everything was extremely clean except for a stain. A reddish or rust stains on the mattress. But everything else was spotless. They had a 32 inch flat screen television on the wall with cabie channels and a ipod docket. The bathroom was really nice,

Pros: Excellent rooms, Nice staff-very accomodating, free breakfast and comfortable beds, clean hotel, excellent location

Cons: Entrance of the parking garage is very tiny. Scratch my car coming up the ramp because of it being too narrow, All the additional taxes added on to your bill at the end of your stay

Nevertheless, this was one of the nicest boutique hotel I stayed in for the price!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection? Share your experiences!