Attending the US Open for 4 days meant that we would not be spending much time in a hotel, so I *really* didn't want to pay a minimum of $300 to stay in Manhattan....or really close to Flushing Meadows. Based on reviews here, we decided to try the Verve.
It was as most of the reviewers said....
1) pretty convenient to the subway 5 minute walk to Queens Plaza, 10 minute walk to Queensboro Plaza (better for express connections to Flushing or Manahattan).
2) Very reasonably priced at around $144 (AAA rate).
3) The hotel *felt* much more expensive than it was.. The complimentary breakfast and wireless were *very* appreciated...and were something we weren't used to getting in Manhattan at much higher priced hotels.
4) The staff was friendly and helpful....from the front desk staff, to the housekeeping staff.
side note: The safe in our room happened to have the door lock activated but open....I never got around to asking the staff about it, so I left my laptop in there with the door partially closed... never had a problem.
We had to study our subway map a bit to get comfortable with how to get around... we're not used to that method of travel. Once we found the two nearby subway stations, we were set. We walked back twice from the stations at nearly 2 am. We had no unfriendly interactions with any people, and a couple of local people offered help as we tried to figure out our subway travel. I will say that if you, like us, were not used to a big city feel, and industrial part of the town, it's something you have to get used to. It's not the same as being in downtown Manhattan. I would do it again though; I recommend it for lodging in this area of the City if you're looking to keep lodging costs down, but not compromise on the quality of lodging.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Verve Hotel in Long Island City, an Ascend Collection hotel near Manhattan. Offering boutique accommodations in the heart of Long Island City, the Verve Hotel, an Ascend CollectionTM hotel, is within walking distance to Silvercup Studios film and television production facility. Local points of interest like the LaGuardia Airport, downtown Manhattan, Long Island University and the Queens Zoo are less than four miles from this Long Island City, NY hotel. John F. Kennedy International Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport are minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Choice Hotels, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Travelocity, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection Hotel Long Island City
- Ascend Collection Long Island City
- Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection Long Island City, New York