Now then, my title doesn't mean 'Rough' in a bad way... It's just a phrase..., based on the fact that the hotel is based in Queens / Long Island City, and us ignorant Brits generally tend to associate Queens with the gang movies of the 70's and early 80's.... How wrong we are! Queens is very definitely up and coming, but still just far enough out of the 'Centre-of-it-all' to be very well priced.
The Verve is a fantastic hotel, and a superb base from which to explore NYC without the over-inflated costs of hotels in Manhattan....
We stayed for 3 nights from 19-21 June 2014, and we really couldn't have picked a better location. The rooms we had, turned out to be suites (609 & 612) which were spotlessly clean and very spacious, each with their own sitting room, with armchair, sofa, coffee-table, flat-screen TV, tea & coffee machine, (with supplies) a fridge and even a microwave! Then there was the en-suite, with all manner of complimentary toiletries and bathrobes in the wardrobe. Finally on to the bedroom, with a huge, VERY comfortable king-size bed, another large flat screen TV and a desk with desk lamp for anyone wishing to work comfortably... The bedroom and sitting room both had separate Air-Con units, so very easy to set sleeping or reading & relaxing temperatures in the different rooms...
The staff were fantastic, particularly Michael and Tom, who couldn't have been more helpful, with their knowledge of where to eat, drink and what best to do and not to do regarding sight-seeing in and around NYC. In fact the staff were so helpful, that five minutes after checking-in, at 7:45pm as the light was fading, the general manager invited us up on to the roof of the hotel, to take some photos of what I considered 'The real New-York' (attached photo)
The included breakfast was 'continental' style with the addition of two waffle machines, which was fun, and even my wife's first attempt produced great-looking, tasty waffles...!
To conclude: Great hotel, 1 block / 2 minutes walk from 39th Ave Subway, which is only 5 stops from Times Square. Get a Metro Card $31 for 7 days, for unlimited travel on the subway and buses. And check out the Brazilian BBQ at the Holiday-Inn 1 block away, for $20 all you can eat hot & cold buffet and every type of BBQ'd beef, pork, chicken, lamb etc., brought to and carved at your table.... Stunning food...! In addition, the 'Centraal' bar and restaurant across the road does stunning home-made burgers, and other dishes, along with a good selection of unusual continental bottled beers, another one well worth a go...
Finally.... To The Verve and NYC, - " I'm on my way back, see you soon....."
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Verve Hotel in Long Island City, an Ascend Collection hotel near Manhattan. Offering boutique accommodations in the heart of Long Island City, the Verve Hotel, an Ascend CollectionTM hotel, is within walking distance to Silvercup Studios film and television production facility. Local points of interest like the LaGuardia Airport, downtown Manhattan, Long Island University and the Queens Zoo are less than four miles from this Long Island City, NY hotel. John F. Kennedy International Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport are minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Choice Hotels, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection Hotel Long Island City
- Ascend Collection Long Island City
- Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection Long Island City, New York