“A great hotel for a great city” 5 of 5 stars

Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40-03 29th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
“A great hotel for a great city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

The hotel is situated in Long Island City, Queens, few minutes on foot away from 3 metro stations that transport you everywhere in New York City, especially Manhattan, within relatively few minutes. Our suite was more spacious than most hotel rooms in Manhattan at a cheaper price level. Hence, more and more hotels are being constructed in Long Island City, which is an area in transition.

Few minutes away from the hotel you will find a supermarket and a nice Deli called "Zante".

The hotel is clean and offers wifi - free of charge.

A great plus of the hotel is the great staff, well trained, professional and very friendly. They offer good advice for city trips and all questions that might arise. Big thanks and many greets from Germany to the whole staff, especially Justin, who patiently answered all my questions before my trip to New York.

Check-in could have been a little bit more attentive (no question about the journey). However, check-out was super-friendly and cordial.
My request for a room with city view was fullfilled.

Breakfast is included in the price. It consists of breakfast Amerian style which gets pretty monotonous after one week. Dishes consist of plastic. Sub-optimal for the environment.
Breakfast is removed punctually at 9.30 am each morning.
There exists a machine where you get hot beverages all day long for free.

The room was big, clean and a little dark. There even existed a coffee machine. The room had an air conditioner and a safe.

I highly recommend this great hotel.

My recommendations:

- Metro card for 1 week. The metro is a fascinating place for social studies.

- Hop-on-Bus to get an overal impression of NYC.

- Amtrak train trip to Washington.

Hotel stay in May 2013.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

1,066 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Nothing really great or really bad about this hotel, it's an average place. Service and room were okay; noisy if your room is near the side overlooking the schoolyard/intersection; in-room AC/fan worked well and during first night I started putting it on low fan to cover the street noise without making room cold or hot; fridge is handy; stains on sheets and pillows more than other hotels I've stayed in (I always bring my own pillowcase when staying in a hotel for this reason); no pen or pad of paper in the room which I've grown accustomed to in hotels. Several other minor things that I'm sure the front desk could have helped with, but when you check into a hotel you don't want to spend your limited time talking with the front desk dealing with things that should be thought of or taken care of ahead of time.
I repeatedly used Queens Plaza subway stop as it's about a 5 or 10 minute walk away and you can be in any part of Manhattan rather quickly, so nothing negative about the subway commute time, never waited for more than a few minutes in the subway station for a train and it has multiple lines.
I was solo and there were a few times where it was uncomfortable on the walk to/from the subway after dark. I'm no stranger to big cities but a couple times I did not feel safe on the walk and started picking up my pace, walking in the street since no cars passed me that stretch of the walk, making sure I was walking in the most well-lit parts of the street. I haven't gotten that feeling when I've stayed anywhere else in NYC during multiple solo trips. If the hotel was a super value and had great amenities for the money that couldn't be found elsewhere for a similar price then I would probably overlook the neighborhood concerns but the hotel doesn't offer anything great in my opinion. If you were a couple or with a few people walking to the hotel then you probably wouldn't notice or care about the neighborhood concerns. Same if you only were taking taxis or driving, then the neighborhood concerns are obsolete.
The way I look at it is I ask myself would I feel comfortable letting a solo female relative take the same trip I just took doing the same walks solo at the same time of day/night. I would not in this case. Everywhere else in NYC that I've stayed I would have no problem recommending it to a solo female relative because I've never felt uncomfortable or unsafe at all, until this couple block stretch from the subway.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side where the school playground is can get noisy in mornings and at that intersection.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Montevideo, Uruguay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We're very happy in selecting this hotel. Everyone at the front desk gave us excellent service and information we had need it. Rooms are large and well equipt. Breakfast was fresh and plenty with two great girls making sure nothing run empty. Tip those girls; they do an excellent job. To reach Manhattan you can choose trains or buses ( Bus Q32, Q60 and Q101) two blocks away from hotel (if you don't like the subway uptairs-downtairs)

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

LIC is the new Brooklyn. I am not the first to say it and it certainly is a diamond in the rough. Don't get me wrong, I like rough around the edges. Last time we stayed in LIC, we stayed at Verve's competitor down the street (and liked it) and this time we wanted to check out Verve as it is rated #1 in LIC on Tripadvisor.

My first mistake, I booked via a travel engine. The price was OK for a junior suite, but I should have gone to the Choice Hotel loyalty site (which also owns Quality Inn, Comfort Inn...you get the picture), which offered the same price. Why? Upon check in, we found our room on the ground floor, across the hall from the breakfast room, with the only window looking out to the wooden boards of the patio. We asked to be moved to a higher floor immediately and we were denied because there is only one junior suite on each floor and they are all occupied. We asked to change to another room type on a higher floor and we were told they could not accommodate because "we booked via a third party".

Lesson learned. Be aware of Verve's ground floor rooms and their inability to accommodate.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not on the ground floor.
greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

I had the smallest room at the Verve and it was very spacious! They also give you some nice little bathroom amenities, bathrobe, room safe, mini fridge. BUT once you leave the room, you would never know it was the same hotel. The breakfast room uses only plastic and styrofoam. What century is this?? Staff is just pleasant enough as they have to be and no more.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Kelty, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I've read a few new reviews that were posted while we were staying at this property - debating it's 3 star status.

According to the world rating system a 3 star property has
- Reception opened 14 hours, accessible by phone 24 hours from inside and outside
-Three piece suite at the reception, luggage service
-Beverage offer in the room
-Telephone in the room
-Internet access in the room or in the public area
-Heating facility in the bathroom, hair-dryer, cleansing tissue
-Dressing mirror, place to put the luggage/suitcase
-Sewing kit, shoe polish utensils, laundry and ironing service
-Additional pillow and additional blanket on demand
-Systematic complaint management system

We stayed there for 3 nights in early May and can confirm that the reception was manned at all times, had a nice seating area available in the reception area and two phones were available in our standard King room for use.

I needed a sewing kit and one was provided by reception. There were additional pillows available in the room, and I have no reason to doubt an additional blanket would have been provided had I asked for one. There were coffee making facilities in the room and at reception, and bottled water was provided free of charge by reception on arrival, and when asked for.

There was free wifi in the room, as well as a hair dryer and iron/iron board. The hotel also had a washer and dryer you could use free of charge. There were several mirrors in the room. I had no reason to complain so can't confirm the final item.

So, the hotel definitely meets it's 3 star rating and goes beyond it. No, it's not a luxury hotel, but you weren't paying for a luxury hotel - in fact the hotel was the lowest price I found for the ease of transportation in to Manhattan. The rooms are huge, whilst being a short walk to several New York subway lines.

The hotel offers air con and heating in the room, plus a large tv. The bed was comfortable and the area quiet. The had free computers and printer available for use by guests, as well as a gym and vending machines and ice machines spread amongst the floors. From our room window you could also see the Manhattan skyline. They provided an ample free breakfast that we made use of each day.

All in all we had a problem free, lovely stay and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, and recommend it to friends!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Not many expectations for this hotel given the google street view, but a very pleasant surprise. Large corner room with separate living area, safe feeling neighborhood and right near a subway two stops removed from Lexington Ave. Clean, comfortable, friendly but non-intrusive staff and a quiet restfull sleep every night even while having windows looking up two streets.
Rooms were well serviced and the functional US breakfast plentiful (even if not low on sugar amongst the waffles and frosty flakes).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection? Share your experiences!