Stayed here for a few days on my first visit to New York. Unfortunately the place was not nearly as good as reviews here would suggest.
First of all the pros:
- The place was clean
- It is conveniently located with metro stops no more than 5 minute walk away which will take you into Manhattan in 10 minutes. Also convenient if you are catching the metro from JFK, there's a line which will take you to Jamaica where you can take the airtrain.
- You get a lot included for your money such as free use of a washing machine, breakfast and WiFi
- Relatively quiet, I at least had no noise complaints.
Unfortunately, for me, the negatives far out weighted the positives:
- upon checkin you are required to provide them with your passport and credit card which are copied back to front. No other form of ID such as driving license is accepted (for foreigners). Passports for all occupants need to be provided, not just the person paying. Even though I prepayed and my credit card was swiped for a deposit, they just took the card to the back to make actual photocopies of the front and back of the card, something I was not comfortable with at all. This as well as the copies of passports is very unusual for American hotels and was a first for me (and I have stayed in quite a few hotels). Apparently all of this is required for security and in case they have to evacuate the building; don't believe a word as if this was the case any form of government photo ID should have been sufficient
- the location, while convenient, really is not great. The area is very industrial and run down. While I didn't have any problems I also did not feel safe walking there at night.
- the rooms, while clean, were not great. The bed was not nearly as comfortable as one you would get in a holiday inn or courtyard which are very similarly priced. The aircon/heater was very, very loud. Too loud to be kept on over night. No proper temperature and fan control, just a red/blue dial and two fan speeds. This is fine to heat up or cool down the room quickly but just doesn't work at night if you are a light sleeper.
- breakfast, while free, was not great. There's free coffee and juice, waffles, bagels and some toast, but that's it. Again nothing like you can expect from one of the bigger chain hotels which sometimes offer deals with breakfast included. The breakfast room felt and looked like something one would expect in a hostel, from the plastic cutlery to the cardboard plates.
Bottom line, at the price there are much better hotels than this! The Verve simply didn't cut it for me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Verve Hotel in Long Island City, an Ascend Collection hotel near Manhattan. Offering boutique accommodations in the heart of Long Island City, the Verve Hotel, an Ascend CollectionTM hotel, is within walking distance to Silvercup Studios film and television production facility. Local points of interest like the LaGuardia Airport, downtown Manhattan, Long Island University and the Queens Zoo are less than four miles from this Long Island City, NY hotel. John F. Kennedy International Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport are minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Choice Hotels, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection Hotel Long Island City
- Ascend Collection Long Island City
- Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection Long Island City, New York