“Good deal for the area” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40-03 29th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Oro Valley, Arizona
“Good deal for the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was in New York to run the New York Marathon and needed a place to stay that would not break the bank. It was still expensive, but not nearly as bad as staying in Manhattan. And frankly, after staying here, I would never stay in Manhattan again. I mean it's a 10 minute subway ride and you are right next to several lines here, so it is practically like staying there anyway.

The hotel itself was pretty nice and comfortable, but it was also very basic. I did miss having a pool/hot-tub after the race, but that was really the only thing I missed. My only complaint was that there was a lot of neighborhood noise when I stayed there. The street noise in the morning and in the evening the church across the street was having a wedding and the music was really LOUD. Made sleeping difficult. I don't think that is a normal occurrence, however.

I gave the hotel 4 stars because of the overall deal and comfort, but if this hotel was somewhere else, I would probably only have given it 3 stars. I would definitely stay there again though.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side would be quieter I think.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

1,065 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Riga, Latvia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The absolute bonus of this hotel are its enormous rooms: almost like suites, but without the luxury,
and yet...There are coffee -/tea making facilities/ refrigerator / ironing board (for those who feel the absolute need to go ironing during their city trip in NY ;) / ....
We had a twin room with an extra room for a third person, each with a flatscreen TV.
The bathroom is ample;
Breakfast was good and absolutely sufficient.
Staff is very helpful and also friendly, especially Miss Yahaera!!!

The only disadvantage is the fact that you can hear the noise of the trains going by. So , don't forget those earplugs!
Another minus was the fact that there are absolutely no places in the immediate surrounding
where one can have a(n alcoholic) drink .Very strange to us Europeans!

The nearest subway (39 Av.) is only a short walking distance away. However, if you've got some heavier suitcases on arriving, get off at "Queensboro Plaza" -better facilities for travellers).
It is a bit confusing when you get out of this subway for the first time, though, to find 29th street. You in fact have to cross the very busy road to get to the other side.
The subway gets you into the heart of Manhattan in appox. 10 minutes (Central Park).
Mind you: getting a subway on Sundays can prove to be rather tricky, with long waiting times. So, perhaps the bus then is the better alternative.

All in all, we'll definitely stay at the Verve again on our next NY trip!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I just stayed there for the NYC marathon, The staff was very helpful! the housekeeping was great! and the breakfast was good too! The only problem was I had a 3rd person stay in the room(my mom) for the race I was very honest about this and paid the fee for the extra bed on friday night I got in later then intended-flight delayed twice and was so tired and hungry i ASSUMED when I signed my slip(there were not any numbers on it!) that it was was the 419 I was promised and the extra 25 a night for the cot=500 plus tax so I was VERY SHOCKED when my credit card was charged 672!! I Had to call from sight seeing to see what the charge was about. That is the ONLY problem I had with the hotel, when I checked out monday the bill was spelled out but by then my account was cleared out :(. Just wish it was explained to me at check-in!

Room Tip: The king was a good size and very clean and fit 3 people
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed here for 2 weeks. We chose this hotel based on its positive reviews on TA. We found the staff to be friendly and obliging. Yash and Justin helped resolve an issue with our card which was wonderful. The area was a bit deserted, but once we got used to it, it wasn't too bad. There were limited shops in the area.

The hotel itself was adequate. Our room was spacious. There's a mini fridge. Other little things that made this hotel a good choice included the use of computers, printer, coffee machine, games room, laundry, microwave and wi-fi.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Gold Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed at the Verve in Queens for a week back in Oct 13, and had a fantastic stay. The staff were always friendly, and available 24 hours which is great.

The positioning was quite good, we had 3 subway stations within 5 mintes walk in any direction. The Subway was about 10-15 minutes from Times Square which passes in no time! We enver felt threatened and it was really safe walking home every night.

The room was clean and quiet, we had a spa bath which was amazing after walking around NYC every day. There was numerous vending machines around the building as well as a place to wash your dirty clothes on site.

Every morning between 630-930 is breakfast, which is a small mix of hot and cold, but we found it fantastic. I recommend you getting fairly early as it gets busy down there!

I highly recommend staying at The Verve, and if I head back to NYC, I would have no hesitation staying here again.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a spa- well worth it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

All the good reviews are true so I can't add much more, great staff, room looked a bit tired but great for the price with comfortable beds and pillows, breakfast was good considering it's complementary, the breakfast room was less busy before 8am. Would definitely look to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Stayed here for a few nights. Convenient, clean, near the subway (just a few stops to Manhattan) or the Malls in Queens. Reasonable breakfast included including some hot food. Free Wi-Fi and access to the business centre. They arranged a car when we needed to go visit family in the area.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
It is difficult to get a reasonable priced quality hotel in NY but do consider this one.
I would stay here if I visited NY again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection? Share your experiences!