My partner an I selected the verve for the first nine days of our three week holiday in NYC on the basis of the idea it would be a good place to recover from jet lag after travel from Australia, then we had booked another 9 days in an upscale hotel in Manhattan followed by a few days in Niagra Falls.
Turned out we enjoyed the Verve, the quality of the people, the breakfast, the WIFI, the 24 hour free espresso machine and the superb location which allowed us to spend as much time in Manhattan as we wanted and take the subway one stop from Manhattan and be in this relatively quiet part of Queens away from the noise and pressure.
At the end of our 9 days, we cancelled our upscale hotel in Manhattan and Niagra Falls and booked the rest of our time at the Verve!! It is simply a great base to explore NYC. Don't forget that Manhattan is so big that to see anything other than exactly where your hotel is you need to catch the subway ANYWAY! $30 buys you a week of unlimited subway travel and the quality, safety and cleanliness of the subway service is excellent.
We loved walking around the area and exploring some of the small bars and restaurants of the area. If you decide to stay, make sure you spend time in Queens, it is eclectic and nice. The museum of the moving picture is a must in Astoria and the Locale restaurant just down the road from the museum is great.
Other highlights of the Queens location are the Five Napkins Burger Restaurant (catch the happy hours) and watch out for the local brew which kicks like a mule! Another great local bar is the Rest-au-Rant (rarballic.com) where the homemade guacamole with home made corn chips are a highlight.
The Verve was a great base to explore an amazing city.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Verve Hotel in Long Island City, an Ascend Collection hotel near Manhattan. Offering boutique accommodations in the heart of Long Island City, the Verve Hotel, an Ascend CollectionTM hotel, is within walking distance to Silvercup Studios film and television production facility. Local points of interest like the LaGuardia Airport, downtown Manhattan, Long Island University and the Queens Zoo are less than four miles from this Long Island City, NY hotel. John F. Kennedy International Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport are minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Choice Hotels, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection Hotel Long Island City
- Ascend Collection Long Island City
- Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection Long Island City, New York