“Terrific value in New York” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40-03 29th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
Ottawa, Canada
“Terrific value in New York”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This hotel has the friendliest & most helpful staff we have ever met. I can't say enough good things about the entire front desk team who gave us lots of good advice on getting around the city & tips to improve our visit. Our room was very large (king bed, full size sofa plus an arm chair) & all comfortable & clean. Breakfast included hot & cold items with different eggs & meat selections each day we were there plus fresh fruit. The coffee machine is available all the time.
The only possible negative is how close the elevated subway trains are to the hotel. Our window faced the trains and I thought the noise would keep me awake, but it never did. Guess I walked so much I was too tired to hear the train! I expect if you had a room on the opposite side of the hotel, this would not be an issue.
We walked from the hotel to Central Park across the Queensboro bridge which is an interesting experience. Took about an hour including photo stops.
We will be back for sure. Thanks to Tom for the subway navigation lesson - we never got lost or on the wrong train.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed as a couple for a week in September. On arrival and throughout our stay the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Unfortunately we needed emergency dental care during our stay and the hotel helped us find a nearby dentist on a Sunday! The room was huge and clean. It was also nice to have the option of a bath after walking the streets of Manhattan. There was also a safe and mini fridge. The only issues we had with the room were the lighting which was quite dim and the wardrobe was tiny!! This was a shame because a bigger wardrobe could have easily been fitted into the room. Breakfast was good, especially the ‘make your own waffles’. Obviously the location is a bit further out but it was only a 5 minute walk to the subway and a short ride into Manhattan, which we did not find a problem. Perhaps on our next trip to New York we would like to stay more central, however for the price of this hotel we would never find anything in central Manhattan of such high quality. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I went the hotel for my honeymoon. First off the hotel manager Yash who was working at the front desk was very very nice. Next, the room... I got a Suite with Jacuzzi and was really really romantic. Service was A+ Hotel was A+!!!
I recommend it to all!!

Room Tip: Room with the Jacuzzi
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed here after a 9 day tour of New England for a 3 night stay in New York. From the moment we walked in the door the experience was excellent. Staff couldn't do enough for us. Room was big and roomy. Hotel is a 10 minute walk from 3 subway stations that will have you in Manhatten within 10 minutes. On our first venture out we had just walked out of the door when we were chased by Valerie, the receptionist who wanted to make sure that we had a card with the hotel number and her name on it! Breakfast was excellent if a little cramped and Tom, (I'm not sure what his actual role was) the imposing friendly giant was everywhere at all times. I don't think he ever left the front desk and nothing was too much trouble for him. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sebastopol, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I'm a former New Yorker so know that you can enjoy very good lodging while visiting Manhattan without breaking the bank by looking just over the East River. My three-day visit to Manhattan was made comfortable and practical by staying at The Verve Hotel in Long Island City. The location was convenient - fewer subway stops to midtown Manhattan than many downtown Manhattan hotels. It was only a three block walk to the subway station (N & Q lines), one subway stop to transfer to other lines and two stops to Manhattan (Bloomingdales/59th Street). Of course, the setting does NOT feel like you are in Manhattan, but there are 3 other hotels within a block of the hotel so you are in good company and feel safe. However, at the time of my research, Verve offered the best balance of amenities and value than the others.

The hotel staff went out of their way to make you feel personally welcomed - I was greeted every time I returned to the hotel, the front desk helped with every question and it is clear that the hotel set high standards for what level of good service they wanted to deliver. A daily paper was in the lobby and I was welcomed at check in with a bottle of water. A new one was in my room daily (even though great NY tap water negates any need to rely on bottled water). Staff gave eye contact and a smile every time they saw a guest.

My room was spacious and felt newer. I loved the min-fridge to stock snacks bought at the nearby deli. It was clean, great bed & linens, really nice looking bath and closet area, and there was a desk and chair with free wi-fi internet service. Overhead lighting could have been warmer and brighter. My only real concern might have been my room location. My room (#111) was on the first level immediately behind the front desk, across from the elevator and near the ice machine so noise would be a problem for anyone who wanted uninterupted quiet sleep without earplugs (I always sleep with earplugs so it was not a concern). Note - I heard NOTHING above me so floors must be well insulated. I would recommend a higher floor so you could also get more light and a view than a first floor window. If the place is booked and you are placed in #111, ask the front desk for earplugs if you don't travel with them.

One of the best values other than the location was the morning breakfast. It offered three hot selections on the buffet, a fresh waffle and toast station, plenty of fruit, cereal, breads, juices. The dining area will be crowded at peak times, but that is your chance to sit next to a solo traveller sitting alone and probably open to chatting about NYC. The excellent coffeee station was open 24 hours and offered hot chocolate as well as expresso and other selections.

Room Tip: My first floor room was in the worst location for noise and poorer light. Ask for a second or highe...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Conway, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I choose The Verve mainly due to prices in Manhatten. It turned out to be a wonderful choice. We got there early so we dropped off our suitcases and with the conceige's help we found the subway easily and spent the afternoon in the City. The subway was NOT hard to get to at all, only 2 blocks away. When we returned they had upgraded us to a suite (rm 516) which was a nice surprise. The room was comfortable and very clean. There was a refridgerator, coffee maker and a flat screen tv in each room. The bathtub did not drain well, but not too bad of a problem. The biggest complaint would be the noise from the construction site a block away. They worked 24 hours a day. That and the above ground trains made it a bit noisy. Not that we had any trouble sleeping, believe me we did not. Comfortable bed and pillows. Breakast was okay and helped to defer the cost of food. The staff was amazing and they spoke many languages which helped with foreign visitors. If you don't mind a little noise, I would highly recommed this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lock Haven, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The staff, from top to bottom, was incredible and truly set the Verve apart! From the moment we arrived, everyone was extremely helpful and did anything in their power to help us. The room was nice and clean. The hotel is adjacent to two subway stops that will have you in Manhattan within minutes. If you're planning a trip to NYC, I would definitely recommend the Verve.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection? Share your experiences!