We stayed at this hotel for 9 nights.
I made my booking through Choicehotels.com and received an e-mail confirmation stating: "It requires FULL pre-payment for the ENTIRE stay and is fully non-refundable."
To avoid any surprises - as a budget conscious traveller - I phoned the Verve prior to arrival and requested confirmation that my stay is fully paid. It was confirmed that they have received full payment.
We booked in on the Sunday and when we spoke to reception on the Tuesday, they requested us to come and see them. I was informed that I still owe them almost $ 350. I explained to them that this was EXACTLY the situation I tried to avoid; that is way I ensured that I made a full pre-payment.
I was referred to the Choicehotels customer care - they told me they don't charge credit cards; I must take it up with the hotel itself. Yash, the manager, was adamant that they didn't make the mistake, it was done by Choicehotels. Yash however said that he will try to sort it out with Choicehotels.
Every day I would enquire from reception if a solution has been found, only to be told that Yash is working on the problem. Huge was my surprise when I discovered that they charged my credit card, while being put under the impression we are still trying to find a solution.
Yash was a difficult man to get hold of, so I e-mailed him to express my disappointment with the deduction and I requested him to at least consider a complimentary room upgrade, considering our problem and the length of our stay. His response was: "Since these issues were related by Choice Hotels and not the Verve Hotel my hands are tied. I have no justifiable reason to do any such comps." Needless to say that his unwillingness to make our once-in-a-lifetime visit to NY unforgettable, was a HUGE disappointment.
To summarise: if you travel on a tight budget and you try to manage your expenses carefully by making "full" pre-payments, make sure you don't get nasty surprises; especially if you are paying with foreign currency almost 10 times weaker that the dollar!
- Also Known As:
- Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection Hotel
- Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection Hotel Long Island City
- Ascend Collection Long Island City
- Verve Hotel An Ascend Collection
- Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection Long Island City, New York
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Verve Hotel in Long Island City, an Ascend Collection hotel near Manhattan. Offering boutique accommodations in the heart of Long Island City, the Verve Hotel, an Ascend CollectionTM hotel, is within walking distance to Silvercup Studios film and television production facility. Local points of interest like the LaGuardia Airport, downtown Manhattan, Long Island University and the Queens Zoo are less than four miles from this Long Island City, NY hotel. John F. Kennedy International Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport are minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Choice Hotels, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Tingo, Hotels.com, Venere, Fareportal and Otel so you can book your Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.