“Outstanding & Magnificent Hotel - Close to all Tourist Attractions” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection

You added Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection to your Saves list
Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40-03 29th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
New York City, New York
“Outstanding & Magnificent Hotel - Close to all Tourist Attractions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

When I saw that this property received the Trip Advisor Budget Award 2012, I thought it would be a really cheap and broken down hotel. BUT was I WRONG! It still has the essence of a grandeur hotel at its LOW, inexpensive prices.

There's one thing I absolutely hate about NY. 99.9% of people are the biggest JERK in the world! But this hotel makes you feel welcome and at home. After a day spent in rough NY, I get to come 'home' and relax with friendly staff who you can actually talk to in a REAL conversation with KIND manners.

This is one difference between a "Yeah I stayed as so-and-so hotel" and "Yes, I stayed at the VERVE." The human interaction isn't rude with me just being another customer, it's service!
While on the subject of service, they helped me with directions to get where ever I needed, whether by train or cab. If you need a cab, they can call one for you and it'll be there in less than 10 minutes. The train stations are about 2 small blocks away, so easy to get to. The infrastructure in NY is well developed so trains connect here and there, enabling you to get to all the attractions you desire. One thing to remember is to grab a train map from the front desk because once you get past the turntable at the train station, there most likely will NOT be a map of the subway system for you until you get into a train. And you don’t want to take a wrong train! So don't FORGET! Or you'll get lost!

Other than service, there's also FREE delicious breakfast (that you can eat on the beautiful wooden deck), FREE fast wireless internet, and FREE Laundry. (NO catch or fine print! Seriously!) Once you check in, you receive complimentary bottled water. There are vending machines on every floor, in case you need a quick snack or drink, and ice machines as well. There is also a game room with air hockey (FREE) and pool table (I think it’s $1). In the underground parking garage, there’s an area with table tennis (FREE) and a smoking area. You can smoke outside, but when in bad weather, this is a safe place to smoke. I personally don’t smoke and am sensitive to it, but no worries if you have young children, the smoke didn’t reek into the hotel.

I had one the suites - I had found a terrific deal through their direct website. After that, I gave a ring to the hotel and they booked it all for me with the deal discount. My spacious and clean suite consisted of a living room, bedroom, and bathroom with one closet. There were plenty tables for me to spread out my work and two couches to relax. I also had my own microwave, fridge, TWO tv's, one air conditioner/heater unit per room, and MY OWN Jacuzzi. (I would recommend this suite for couples, it's quite the charmer.)There's also a microwave on the lobby floor, but I had my own. (So I didn't have to share. >:] haha! ) If you forget one of your toiletries, they have complimentary items at the front desk. The only thing I wasn't too happy about was the window size. I thought about it for a while and here's my hypothesis: The noise level in NY is ridiculously high. With windows, even double-paned windows (think the windows of the hotels next to the airport), the sound that penetrates through the window is louder than the sound that goes through a wall. So with more walls and less windows= less noise = better sleep. You’ve come to NY to check it out in person anyway, not look through a window.

Enough of my jabber, check it out for yourself. I’ll certainly be staying here next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Let me start with one drawback: the noise. Did I say "drawback"? So you hate noise, huh? Avoid NY, then. I mean, all NYC, not just the hotel. That said, the hotel WAS noisy, with the overground subway right next to it and irritatingly noisy A/C. That's about it.

And now for the review: whatever praise you read on tripadvisor, it's right.

The hotel is clean. God, was that an advantage! NYC is the dirtiest, smelliest and foulest place I've ever been to, and returning to the clean hotel, with the fresh towers, scrubbed floors and vacuumed carpets was a huge relief.

The location is nothing short of excellent. Don't be discouraged by its being Queens! The subway connections are actually better than from most parts of Manhattan. Unless you need to get uptown, you won't even need to change, and for uptown one change is usually enough. Times Square, Financial District, Chinatown, island ferries are accessible by one train only. The E line from JFK is just two blocks away and it also connects the hotel to Penn Station, to which trains from Newark go. If you choose a taxi, fares are far lower than for Manhattan. The area is undergoing revitalisation right now, which means a lot is being built there, but it feels safe nevertheless - lots of polce cars cruise by. We frequently came back after dark and we felt perfectly safe.

Our room, though it was the cheapest one, was equipped with a large, comfortable bed, a desk, a coffee maker, a fridge (with the NY August heat - priceless!), flatscreen TV, a bucket for ice (get it for free in the reception area) and cosmetics.

Laundry is free (where you would pay loads for that in more expensive hotels), coffee, tea, ice-cold water are free. There are vending machines with snacks and drinks on eah floor.

Breakfast was nice, if a little monotonous towards the end. Guys, if you're reading this - I miss the vegetable omlettes, and whoever came up with the idea of self-made waffles is my hero.

The staff were very nice and helpful. Given the reviews we were afraid they would be too nice, if you know what I mean - that we wouldn't be left alone. That wasn't the case: they were nice and helpful, but only when we needed them.

There is no restauirant at the hotel, but you may want to try the Chinese takeaway just two blocks away or the Brazilian restaurant in the nearby Holiday Inn.

The hotel will store your luggage if you need that.

Wifi is fast and free, and the business centre was most convenient.

Overall, the stay was great. This is one of the cheapest hotels in NYC, if not the cheapest, but it's well worth the price: you get everything you need plus a lot of those little things that make a stay in a hotel so nice, but you don't pay much. And even if you pay a tiny little bit more than in the cheaper hotels, it's the priceless certainty that there are no unwelcome little guests in you room.

Highly recommended. We will come back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Roosevelt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Chose this hotel because of the Trip Advisor Budget Award 2012 and the hotel's proximity to Manhattan. I was skeptical, but my concerns were rest assured upon arrival and being greeted by Yahaira. We were given our complimentary bottle of water, menus for local delivery, and our room key.

The room we requested was queen bed, high floor, and away from elevator. We stayed for 2 nights. The room had a flat screen TV and no major window view. A decent size bathroom with ventilation and Crabtree and Evelyn products. The closet was small but it had an ironing board and robes. Our room was refreshed each day.

Complimentary breakfast was good and seating was ample. We had cereal, juice, and 3 hot items of egg whites, turkey sausage, or omletes. Also had bagels, pastries, and waffles. The 3 hot items rotate each day.

They have a business center that includes 3 computers and a printer. They also have an exercise room in the basement.

We used the E subway train to get into Manhattan and it was a 7 to 10 minute walk away from hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

One of a small cluster of new hotels just 15-20 minutes from Midtown Manhattan by subway. Rooms are large and comfortable, well-furnished (including coffeemaker, fridge, microwave, flat screen TV, etc.), and very clean; hotel is safe 2-block walk to subway; staff is helpful, friendly; underground parking available for nominal additional charge. Excellent AC can be noisy; no restaurant in hotel, but there are excellent vending machine offerings; free continental breakfast in large, cheery, well-maintained dining room is surprisingly ordinary in light of the care shown everywhere else. Excellent for families on a budget.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk clerk.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Zephyrhills, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed for 8 nights at the end of June and couldn't ask for more. The location is great for travel into Manhattan. The train station is a short few blocks from the hotel and it is a short trip into "the city".The neighborhood is mixed residential and commercial and is quite safe. It is not the prettiest area but it is conveint.

The hotel is new and very inviting. A very nice sized lobby, with two elevators. This was important to us because we stayed at another hotel last year that only had one elevator that was out of service at times and we had to walk down 5 flights and back up 5 flights when we returned. It was also a new hotel.

There is a large breakfast room with a nice selection of food. There is a business center with three computers and printer open to all at no additional charge. Free WiFi in the rooms and lobby. There is a game room and excercise room. Another nice touch was the luggage weighing scale in the lobby.

We had a King deluxe/suite? Not sure of what it was called. It had two rooms, two flat screen tv's, a refrigerator, and k-cup coffee maker. Pull out couch in living room area with seperate bedroom with door. Terrific king sized bed and bedding, good work area arrangement and wonderful deep drawers in the dresser. Bathroom was really great, the toiletries were high end. Roomy closet with plenty of hangers.
The staff is wonderful. They actually make you feel welcome and happy to see you. We were impressed. It didn't seem phoney or scripted. We are native New Yorkers and can't stomach sugary, scripted friendliness.

I can't believe I am writing so much. Bottom great hotel, great prices, great staff and entire facility is kept spotless! We will be staying here again when we return next year!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We initially selected this place for its proximity to Laguardia but it exceeded expectations. The staff was friendly, free breakfast, underground parking, clean room and location made this a great choice. The only thing that would have made this perfect would be a more comfortable bed but the current mattress wasn't too bad. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

To say that the staff at Verve were good is an under-statement. From the second I walked in harried from our GPS' misdirections we were provided with nothing but excellent, and more importantly, kind and considerate service. My husband and I were travelling with our 2 year old and the hotel staff went out of their way numerous times with excellent restaurant suggestions, bottles of water when we returned from the August heat of Manhattan, milk for our daughter when we forgot to buy it and printing off maps for where we were going next. The breakfast was basic, but included warm options that changed every day. There WIFI and internet were free as was the laundry machine that we took advantage of. The location is an easy hop to Manhattan with one of the 3 close lines having an elevator (making it accessible for our stroller and super easy to get where we wanted to go). The area is industrial, so not filled with restaurants or much to see and do right around the hotel, but we had an excellent japanese meal and found a great playground for our daughter to burn off some steam in and the proximity to Manhattan, great price, kind and generous service and attention completely made up for any current shortfalls of the area. As a note, the area seems to be developing quite a bit so am sure some of this will change. Absolutely recommend for families and anybody else looking for a clean, comfortable stay close to Manhattan.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection? Share your experiences!