“Clean, friendly, easy transportation to the city/airports” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View

Save Saved
You added Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   52-34 Van Dam Street, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #9 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Toronto, Canada
“Clean, friendly, easy transportation to the city/airports”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

I just returned from staying at this hotel for 5 nights on my and my boyfriend's first trip to NYC. This hotel is a great no frills place to stay at a reasonable cost. The fact that it includes a continental breakfast is a great plus as it allows you to allocate that money towards other meals in the city.

Cost:
I can't speak much to this as we had an amazing deal as a family member is a Marriott associate. However I did hear of prices as low as $65/night through various travel sites. I would pay up to $100/night for this hotel considering NYC lodging costs.

To and from the Airport:
We flew in to LaGuardia and got to the hotel quickly via cab - cost before tip was $23. Back to LaGuardia was via car service which was a $25 flat rate - that may be available to the hotel as well, but I would call the hotel in advance to find out as there are many car service options when you land, and some of them are a rip off.

Room:
Is small, 12x12 feet at most which is mostly taken up by the king sized bed. NOTE there are not any drawers or closet space (other than one small foot wide wardrobe) so anticipate living out of your suitcase. Typical wall mounted flat screen and desk with free internet (not the highest speed but still worked just fine!).The bathroom is a good size with a full sized bathtub/shower, and the room was very clean. Housekeeping services were great, the ladies who did our floor were very friendly and accomodating on the days we left later in the morning. We heard some street noise, but nothing from inside the hotel despite the close proximity of the rooms.

Continental Breakfast:
For a free breakfast, we had zero complaints. Oatmeal (with brown sugar, raisins and nuts to add in), granola bars, jimmy dean breakfast sandwiches, breakfast quiche, fruit cups, yogurt, soy milk, regular milk, muffins, hard boiled eggs, bagels, english muffins, cereal, limited fruit, orange or cranberry juice, coffee and different condiments for bagels etc. We ate breakfast at the hotel all 5 mornings and were always satisfied. Some items did run out later in the morning but there was still enough food to satisfy even my 6'5 boyfriend. This perk saved us a good amount of money over 5 days that we were able to then spend on lunch and dinner, which can be pricey in the city. Plus there are not any breakfast options within walking distance, so you can make sure you are not heading out trekking on an empty stomach.

Area:
This is Queens, not Manhattan. I didn't expect beautiful scenery and amenities. It is located in a more industrial area, and is pretty void of people. There are a few dining options that the hotel can recommend in the area. We went to the pub around the corner (a 2 minute walk) called Bantry Bay. The staff was wonderful, very good pub food and reasonably priced drinks. It is a local watering hole so don't expect fancy decor or atmosphere. We went there 3 out of our 5 nights when returning late from sight seeing and not wanting the high prices or dressing up of a midtown bar for a few drinks.

Transportation:
The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the subway station (7 train which takes you to Grand Central or Times Square in less than 15 minutes) that runs until 11 pm. We only used this service twice coming home on a colder night. We chose to walk the 10 minutes to the subway instead, as it is not far and we preferred the fresh air. The walk is not pretty scenery, but still felt safe even when we walked back well after dark. Subway is by far your best means in and out of the city - we paid $29 each for an unlimited pass for 7 days, but definitely got the full value in 4. The shuttle will also drop you off and pick you up from various restaurants in the area, although we never did use that service.
There is very limited parking at the hotel, but it looks like street parking is available as well.

Overall:
I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants the NYC experience without going broke. Staying here gave us a clean, quiet and affordable place to stay while enjoying every aspect of the big city. A friend and a family member will be booking here in the near future based on my positive experience. Great place to stay and save for the big ticket spending in Manhattan. I normally stay in higher end Marriott, Westin or other big name hotels and absolutely enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
gmfairfieldinnlic, General Manager at Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review!! I am pleased to know that you found your stay with us to be an enjoyable one. Our goal, as a staff, is to provide each of our guests with exceptionally clean and comfortable accommodations in a warm and friendly atmosphere.
I look forward to seen you again in the near future. Should you need any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks! Omar A.

344 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

I've stayed The Shillah Hotel on Namsam, the Mayfair Inter-Continental, and other great hotels. This one I selected during the 2010 blizzard that hit NYC and area, checking in Dec 26th after our nth outbound flight cancellation since Dec 25th. We arrived by taxi and immediately felt comfortable and welcomed even though we were one of hundreds of tired & frustrated guests the hotel had to deal with. Beyond the comfortable common areas of the lounge with informative TVs, WiFi, free coffee, and a useful business center that had 2 modern PCs and printer (with paper), there was a very hearty breakfast bar to be had, and a modest though needed dining room. Had I anticipated being snowed in, I would have used the exercise room as well.

What really made the difference was the attentiveness. Highly sensitive to guests' needs, they successfully scrounged for taxis after I merely mentioned one after anticipating a long blizzard-induced wait. They crewed up during peak periods. When I was checking email at 4AM there was an attentive crew member at the desk. Whether handling a check-in, or other dire matters they also took care of making change for a mere $1 bottle of water from their on-site commissary/store. Extending our visit twice due to being snowed-in was a breeze. Checking out was a snap. As soon as the snow hit, the hotel's crew was out there clearing the entrance and often, whether day or night, was sweeping & mopping the ground-floor hall. On our final day, we requested the prior evening that they find a large-enough taxi to handle our many bags and they executed perfectly.

Proximity to Manhattan? We walked from Hunters Point in the evening which may not be comfortable for some but it's just a 15-minute walk and as other reviewers write, Hunters Point subway/Long Island City is a great location. Would I stay there again? Yes. It's not where the busy/shopping areas of Queens is located but considering what we needed, it was perfect.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
gmfairfieldinnlic, General Manager at Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View, responded to this review, January 4, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Fairfield Inn Marriott for your lodging needs. Thank you for your feedback. As you mentioned and experienced it was a very challenging week to us due to the blizzard that affected NYC area. I'm happy to know my staff went out of their way to ensure you have wonderful stay at my hotel. We look forward to serving you again in the near future. Next time in this area please call me directly 718-406-0152 Thanks! The General Manager
Kolkata
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

I stayed on an overnight break at New York as none other hotels were available due to holiday season. The hotel is though conveniently located close to JFK airport but might be inconvenient to reach the business district during office hours. Taxis may be expensive and time taken can be anytime between 40 minutes to more than an hour depending upon traffic. However, the staff are friendly and helping. Food was good. It is a value for money with complimentary breakfast and free wifi internet access. Affiliated to Marriott.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Fairfield Inn Marriott for your lodging needs. Thank you for your feedback. I'm delighted to find my staff and hotel exceeded your expectations. We look forward to serving you again in the near future. Next time in this area please call me directly 718-406-0152 Thanks! The General Manager
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

I stayed at this hotel in September while visiting the US Open tennis tournament. The tournament is only about 5 miles from this hotel which makes it a great deal since the price is hundreds of dollars less than staying in Manhattan. The shuttle bus will take you to the nearest train station for free and then you can go anywhere. The hotel is clean, and the breakfast area turns into an asian restaurant in the evening which is something I've never seen at a Fairfield Inn. The only drawback to this hotel is that the area it's in isn't very good for shopping or sightseeing but that's what cabs and trains are for. The amount of money you'll save while still staying in a nice, safe, clean hotel is well worth the cab/train fare to get to the action.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
gmfairfieldinnlic, Manager at Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
Dear guest-
Thank you for you review. I'm glad to see that you found your stay with us to be an enjoyable one. We look forward to seen again in the near future. The General Manager...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010 via mobile

After getting the room from priceline, I knew what to expect from Fairfield inn. The last time I stayed at their college point location the room was always crisp and clean. However the location was Not too great (the last stop on the 7) I read the reviews about the this hotel and surprise the location was said that it wad not too great. But this location sure beats the college point location. The rooms and the building at long island city location have gone kinda modern.. Not your typical "inn" where everything has tropical or turquoise and red colors. They offer you shuttle to 33st rawsons station where u can catch the 7. And breakfast. I have a room facing the city so I have a wonderful view. Let's not forget the employees, they have been very nice and professional. My stay is 6 days and I feel very comfortable

• Stayed November 2010
gmfairfieldinnlic, Manager at Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View, responded to this review, November 29, 2010
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. We look forward to seen you in the near future. Thanks!! the GM...
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

Clean, spacious room (for NYC) with very good free breakfast and free internet. Shuttle to subway station (7 train) which takes you directly to Grand Central and Times Square.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

We stayed at the Fairfield for two days and I was really looking forward to leave even before checking in. First of all, the location is absolutely terrible as it is in an industrial area. There is a shuttle bus that brings you to and fro the subway station every 30 minutes until 11pm, but the area is so dodgy that I would not use the service as you have to wait for the shuttle if I was only with girls. We could also hear traffic noise and construction work 24/7 from the room. The staff is the least polite and professional staff I have ever met. I've worked in the hotel industry for many years and I would have fired a few of them on the spot if I were the General Manager. Speaking of which I have to admit that the GM was actually very friendly and welcoming though. The rooms were okay and clean, but nothing spectacular. My advice is before you spend $250 per night, make a little bit more research and I am convinced you will find something much much better.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View? Share your experiences!