Thank you Fairfield Inn, you made our weeks holiday in New York marvellous and memorable. This is why.
1. To mark an important birthday we decided to go to NY to celebrate. I wasn’t expecting hotels to be so outrageously expensive in Manhattan. The cost of the hotels would have made the trip unaffordable and we would only have stayed about four nights. The value in the Fairfield allowed us stay for a week. Luckily I read a newspaper article which suggested Long Island City as a great location for hotels convenient to Manhattan. I had been in NY a few times so I was used to the subway and knew how to get around the city on public transport. It turned out to be a wonderful choice.
2. The hotel is located just a few stops from Grand Central Station (Manhattan) on the No 7 subway line. The stop nearest the hotel is 33rd Street – Rawson Street. We never had to walk but I estimate that its a 20 minute walk. The shuttle service finishes at 10.30 pm but you can hail a taxi (approx. $7) from the station to the hotel. It’s takes about 30 minutes to get from the hotel to Manhattan. The hotel shuttle worked seamlessly for us every time and we found it to be a first rate service. The shuttle will also bring you to and from local restaurants. We went to a great local Italian restaurant – Dazies. We were snowed in another night (mid Jan) and reception gave us a choice of about six menus for local restaurants who were able to deliver.
3. There is nothing in the immediate locality. No shops, restaurants etc. It’s a busy industrial area. But it didn’t matter to us. The only time we spent in the area we spent in the hotel
4. The WiFi is good quality. Available everywhere and free. With young people good WiFi is more important than hot water!!
5. Wonderful breakfast. Fresh fruit, yogurts, cereal, bagels, scrambled egg, waffle maker, juice. Great choice and set us up for the day.
6. Starbucks available 24/7
7. The room was not huge but was plenty big and bigger than what we would have had in Manhattan. The beds were very comfortable and after busy days sightseeing we all slept well. We loved the great pressure in the shower. There was a coffee maker in the room.
8. But all of this is nothing in comparison to the staff who are simply wonderful. They are so hospitable, friendly, helpful and just plain nice. Every single employee we met was great. The shuttle drivers are fantastic, they really want to be of service and be helpful. The reception staff deserve an award, they are the best I ever met. So many little things they helped us with. They held our luggage all day on the day we were leaving as our flight was a night flight. They offered wonderful advice. They ordered a taxi for us to get back to JFK at a pre-determined price of $40. But they made us feel very welcome and that meant a lot.
We all agreed that the Fairfield Hotel made our holiday. We just loved it. Thank you to all the wonderful staff. We would definitely love to return. What a find!
We asked for a room on one of the higher floors as we wanted to see NY skyline. They said they woul...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.