“Great Value, Great Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View

Save Saved
You added Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   52-34 Van Dam Street, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Long Island City
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Value, Great Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We were visiting NYC over Columbus Day weekend and I was shocked to find no hotels under $350 a night in Manhattan. This hotel was a little over $200 a night for a clean and normal sized room (we were worried before arriving that the rooms would be too small since it was NYC), comfortable bed, amazing view of the empire state building and NY skyline, and excellent breakfast buffet in the morning. Make sure you arrive early for breakfast, there was fruit, teas from Starbucks, eggs, sausage, waffles, cereal with regular or soy milk, etc. There is a shuttle that will take you to the subway, it will take about 20 to 30 mins total from the hotel to Manhattan. The staff is very attentive and friendly, they assisted us with parking and recommended a local park on the waterfront for taking pics of the NY skyline. I also recommend this location if you are going to drive out to Long Island at any point in time - it is much more convenient to access the island from here than in Manhattan. Before we arrived my mother was disappointed that we were not staying in Manhattan but once we were there she was blown away by how great the Fairfield was. Make sure to enter the address into your GPS correctly - there is a totally separate location that has a similar address nearby in Queens. Normally I am too lazy to actually write a hotel review, but I am very happy that we chose this hotel!

Room Tip: ask for Manhattan side
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

The shuttle service to the Subway is great - coming back, we were left standing in the freezing snow for with 12 others (who all rang for the shuttle to come) for over 30 minutes, when the hotel is less than 5 mins away - slack! This happened every night of our trip! And you absolutely need a phone to be able to ring the shuttle - no public phone anywhere in sight. Breakfast was good but never out on time. The room was good.

• Stayed December 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

The beds were comfortable and noise from the street minimal. There is a train station two blocks when you go the left Queens Plaza vs. going to Queens-borough .Queens plaza is easier access and quicker walk. the breakfast is decent, get there early otherwise it gets crowded.

Customer Service and housekeeping is very poor. I asked house keeping to return in an hour, when arrived that night I found they never returned. No big deal, I asked for clean towels and they were delivered to my room. The next day I had the DND sign on the door, when I left I could see the housekeeping cart but nobody was around. I stopped by the frontdesk and explained the situation from the night before and specifically requested that my room get serviced, gave the gentleman my name and room #, was assured it would not be a problem. I returned to find housekeeping had not serviced the room yet again. I went to the front desk and 1st person referred me to a " supervisor" who said " well if you had Marriott pionts I could give you some" I said I don't so what are we going to do to resolve this? Do you want me to send some towels up - YES. I asked when the manager came in - in about 30 min, do you want me to have him call you - YES. She then advised if you want to open a rewards account I can give you miles, I asked if she was going to give me enough miles for a free night, she said NO. I told her than they are worthless to me. The manager never contacted me and fresh towels wer never delivered to my room. Next Morning, I inquired with the same people at the frontdesk for the manager and was informed "he is not in yet" he might be arrive in an hour or hour & half, I can have call you, yes please do - NOTHING. SIgns posted all over about how important customer satisfaction is but you dont' really see that demonstrated. Staff seem pretty apathetic to guests. There were more annoyances but I think the housekeeping was the worst part of it. Almost 200 a night and you can't even get your trash emptied or clean towels.

Room Tip: No pool and no restaurant. Service is terrible. Asked for a coke machine told don't have one a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Traveling from Canada, this was our first trip to NYC. We did a father/son (14 years old) trip to see an NFL game and a couple NBA games along with all the other sounds and sites. We stayed 5 nights/6 days. We arrived at 11am and they were able to accommodate us with a room right away, which was very nice.

1. The hotel itself was great. Very clean, comfortable and quiet. The staff always was very helpful and friendly to whatever needs or questions we asked of them. The water pressure was amazing in the showers and even though on the 6th floor, we still had a great view of Manhattan (minus the industrial view in between). For a free breakfast, I thought it was very good. Both hot and cold items and plenty of different beverages as well. Seating was limited so on a busy time, expect to take food back up to your room. As far as the shuttle, in 6 days we were there, we only used the shuttle twice. If it was there we took it. We didn't bother standing around waiting for its return. It's only about a 10 min walk straight up Van Dam Street to the train. We never took it back from the train, always walked back.

I should just note, maybe being from a suburbia, Canadian city, I was a bit of a culture and location shock and there is a chance my anxiety on the area is unwarranted.

2. Location. The hotel is stuck right in the middle of a light industrial area. Lots of warehouses, garages, things of that sort. At night the area is pretty desolated. There are a few gas stations about two blocks away but nothing else around. During the day, we felt safe walking to and from the train (about 10 min walk). Van Dam street is a fairly busy road and there is also a local community college on the same road. Other than a slight uneasiness walking by a minimum security prison near the train station, it's an OK walk. Even at night it was OK but I must admit we did feel a little more uneasy. We often got back to the hotel after the shuttle was running, but we never had any issues. You do walk by a few gas stations and an arcade/paintball place, so the walk isn't completely desolate. For adults or adults with teens, it is a fine locations. If you have to tote lsmall kids around, I'd consider somewhere else.

NOTE: You will find it almost impossible to flag down a cab in that area around the train and hotel. I hardly saw any the entire time there. We lucked out and grabbed a cab that was dropping someone off from the airport, other than that you will have to have the front desk arrange a car service. On the ride back to the airport, the cabbie said that cabs don't like to come to the area. In the past (5 years ago +), it was not necessarily a safe area, plus, its a bit out of the way for them. Saying that, the #7 train is great and quick. Goes right to Grand Central and Times Square. You can get anywhere in the city from those locations. Its not the nicest looking station or area but if you can look past it and keep your wits about you, its fine enough.

Overall, I thought it was great value. We paid around $160 to $200 a night. Not too shabby considering hotels in Manhattan are close to $350-$400 for a smaller room and probably not as nice as a property.

Room Tip: Ask for a west facing room Quiet and a bit of a view of the city skyline.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Deerfield Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

We just stayed at this location for a stay in Manhattan over the Thanksgiving holiday and it was just fantastic!!! The breakfast was hot and delicious each morning and it saved us time and money. The shuttle to the subway was quick and covenient and they were there to pick us up each night right on time. The subway is only 10 minutes from the hotel and once you are on the train you can be in Grand Central within 15 minutes(#7 train). The staff was great, the experience was excellent. I would highly recomend staying here

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Johns Creek, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

If this is your first trip.. or a dream trip to New York... this is probably NOT where you want to stay. BUT, if you're a New York regular looking for a clean modern hotel, great value vs Manhattan pricing yet only a short ride FROM the city on the 7 train, this may be perfect for you. It was for us. The property itself was spotless, breakfast adequate, and the staff courteous and helpful..particularly the shuttle drivers who you'll depend on for the short ride to the 33rd street station (Note: this is a two flights walk up no elevator station, so pack light.) Should you want, there are several charming restaurants near the 40th street station (we loved Bucharest Cafe) or a quick ride away on the 7 train there's the food court in flushing at New World Mall for asian food of every stripe, or spectacular Cuban food at Rincon Criollo at Junction Blvd (featured on Guy Fietti's Dienrs Drive ins and Dives). If you're a Marriott rewards member using points or certificates, this is a Category 5 property, whereas in City starts at cat 7 (we used fall promo cat 5 certificates). It's NOT the right property for everyone.. but if it fits the bill for your travel style, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Great place to stay. Our hotel room offered a fabulous view of the NYC skyline. Staff were courteous and very helpful. Shuttle service to the nearby 33rd St./Rawson Station was convenient (#7 line from there takes you right in to Manhattan) and the driver was extremely helpful. Shuttle pickup was available as late as 10.45pm - really useful considering the hotel is located in a bit of an industrial-type area and it's probably not the best experience to walk from the station. This was the best experience we've had staying in the NYC area. Will definitely look this place up next time we're in town.

Room Tip: Look for a high floor for great views of New York City.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View? Share your experiences!