We stayed there 5 nights with my daughter. We planned the trip at a short notice so when we checked Manhattan hotels most of them were either sold out or have unapproachable price. Then we found this hotel just outside Manhattan with an attractive price and many positive reviews.
I asked for a high room facing Manhattan and they put me in the top floor with the city view. The room was good size with two comfortable beds and it was always clean. Nice bathroom with all the standard amenities. Staff was remarkably courteous, accommodating, and helpful. Free Internet; WiFi or wired whenever WiFi gets slow. Hot breakfast was included in the rate and it was decent with variety of food items and To-Go option was handy especially when it got crowded at breakfast seating area. The hotel has free Starbucks coffee all day, exercise room, and business center.
For the hotel itself and its staff I easily give 5 stars but with that said there were a couple of points that may be of concern to some guests; location and parking.
- The hotel is in Queens at an industrial with warehouse style. It is a quiet area but somehow isolated at night. It seems safe but there isn't much there around the hotel.
- The hotel is very close to Manhattan. We used Subway train #7 from 33rd st/Rawson to get to Grand Central in about 10 mins and from there we could get to anywhere in Manhattan.
- BUT the subway station is not close to the hotel. It is about 15 minutes walk.
- The hotel provided a solution to the subway proximity problem by offering a free shuttle service that goes to the subway station every 30 minutes to drop and pick up the guests.
- The complimentary subway shuttle stops at 10:30 pm.
- We conveniently used the shuttle during our stay. We took it to the train station and sometimes when returning if we could catch the last shuttle.
- This worked nicely except one night when the shuttle took off while we were crossing the street to get in it. It was due to miscommunication with the front desk. We had to call the hotel and wait for about 20 minutes and needless to say we were not comfortable at all standing at night by 33rs/Rawson deserted street corner and unfortunately no vacant cabs passed by.
- When we were in Manhattan and it passed 9:30 pm, we preferred to take a cab to the hotel. The fare was $20-$25 dollars which even if I considered this fare part of the hotel cost, I still have gotten a good deal.
- There are no cabs to hail around the hotels. When we needed to visit a college at Brooklyn, the front desk called a car service for us since they can’t call a cab; the cost was $35. Also when we checked out the front desk reserved the car service for us to LaGuardia airport they and the cost was $40.
- Parking is an issue with any hotel in or by Manhattan. I was aware of that ahead of my trip and decided not to use a car.
- However the hotel offers a free parking since they have a small underground garage.
- Looking at the garage, I could see that parking is limited and you will need quite a good luck to find one of the few parking slots available.
- I saw many cars parking on the street and there were spaces available around the hotel but obviously this is not guaranteed and you park at your own responsibility.
It's a nice hotel and clean building with a friendly staff that tends to go the extra mile to make sure guests are happy.
- If you really rather be in Manhattan, you will feel some inconvenience staying in Queens even that close to Manhattan.
- If you can manage getting to and from Manhattan by subway utilizing the free shuttle and occasionally taking cab to the hotel, it will be good choice.
- If you are in a budget, the hotel is a good bargain.
- Also Known As:
- Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Queens Hotel Long Island City
- Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Queens Hotel
- Fairfield Inn Long Island City
- Fairfield Inn Queens
- Long Island City Fairfield
- Long Island City Fairfield Inn
- Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Marriott, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Tingo, Fareportal , Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.